Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice

Options
  • 25-09-2007 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Any advice or thoughts out there on the Kia Magentis. Like the look of it.
    The korean cars seem to be slowly taking hold but are they reliable/good cars?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

Affordable transport with no spirit. It might look nice but it might drive like a cat in water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Having owned a Korean car (not a Kia), the reliability and driveability (sp?) is nowhere near a Japanese Car. The styling has more of a European look though - at the expense of performace / drive quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sagairt

thanks, thats exactly my fear they do look good but for similar price you can get an avensis which would seem to have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not drive one, see what you think? These things are quite subjective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anan1 wrote:
    Why not drive one, see what you think? These things are quite subjective.
    To be fair, first impressions can be very innacurate as to reliability.
    Having said that, I bought a 2nd hand Hyundai with 2 months left on the 3 yr warranty and went to a dealer with a list of problems, all of which were fixed without question.
    I must admit, I don't know a whole lot about Kia but every instinct would point me towards the Toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sorry, I meant with regard to how it drives. I'd imagine a Toyota would be more reliable too. That said, an equivalently-priced Avensis will be a good bit older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

stevec wrote:
    ... went to a dealer with a list of problems, all of which were fixed without question.
    That's the part that would probably be different with one of the more "reputable" brands! You'll probably get proper treatment from the likes of Kia and Hyundai.

Anan1 wrote:
    Sorry, I meant with regard to how it drives. I'd imagine a Toyota would be more reliable too. That said, an equivalently-priced Avensis will be a good bit older.

Well you get what you pay for..... You can buy a kia OR you could buy a car..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a poor man's Hyundai Sonata...which says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Given the option I would go for the Hyundai Sonata over the Kia myself especially the diesel version. The Sonata feels better put together and the general packaging looks more modern and thoughtful than the Kia.

Big Korean cars suffer huge depreciation and can make a good second hand purchase as long as you keep them for along time. Buying a new one though is financial suicide.

• Advertisement

The sonata looks nice at first glance but gets awful the more you look at it. It's a passat wannabe of a yoke

I think it looks more like the Accord than the Passat. It's not a bad looking car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the guy who does my work claims parts cannot be scourced for them for love nor money

I presume the OP is talking about the new Magentis, shouldn't be any isseus for parts.
    KiaMagentis2006.jpg

Advertisement