Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B-DSL ? Anyone got it?

Options
  • 25-09-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has this type of broadband and is it any good?

It has just become available in my area.

Its basiclly 2-way satellite ....

Daz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nothing to do with DSL
    About 800ms ping at best.
    2 way satellite is and has been available europe wide and all of ireland for some while. There are several suppliers nationwide that are very experienced.

One Irish company has over 3000 two way satellite customers and can install in several european countries as well as all of Ireland.

You go for two way satellite if you can get nothing else. It can actually work out cheaper than dialup if you need online a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Hi Watty,

Yeah ..sorry i knew it was available 100% through ireland.... badly phrased on my behalf.

Cost wise - its 45euros for 1mb down and 128k up with installation cost of

~250-300euros

Problem is i have no other choice... i suppose its better than 56k.

thanks again

Daz

If it is based on Astra2Connect the reception is progressively worse toward South West from a line between Sligo & Wexford. The Beam is designed for mainland Europe. Southwest of that line it needs a 90cm to 2m dish as you go toward Kerry, for any signal in rain. There have been lots of short lived Satellite vendors that have either "over sold" or not understood the Technology.

Ask Crawler or Sponge Bob, They've heard presentations from some of the crazier people.

All the actually working with proper "rain margin" systems I know start at nearer 99 Euro a month. The Astra2Connect would be nice if it was on 19.2E, 28E, 13E or 5W but it isn't.

I suspect you would need 1.4m dish in Churchtown, not the 80cm dish supplied. Your upload would drop to about 10kbps and download 100kbps in light drizzle in Cork on 23.5E / Astra2Connect on 80cm and vanish in heavier rain.

this is the service being offered

: www.b-dsl.net

The guys said the dish would be slightly bigger than the SKY dish ..i think he said 80cm not sure on that though.

Also said that you wouldnt need the sky dish that they could just add some reciever part from the sky dish to thier dish

I asked last night about it being affected by weather and was told no... def not... which i thought was abit suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

MR DAZ wrote:
    this is the service being offered

: www.b-dsl.net

The guys said the dish would be slightly bigger than the SKY dish ..i think he said 80cm not sure on that though.

Also said that you wouldnt need the sky dish that they could just add some reciever part from the sky dish to thier dish

Surley it would make a lot more sence to put a receiver on your Sky dish instead of buying a new one no?

This sounds very reasonable though and I would get it myself expect for the Pings, The main reason I use Broadband is for gaming so its out of the question for me. Pity though, Im tearing my hair out (Whats left) with the service im getting at the mo. Fastest download speed I get would be around 50kpbs, This is with 2MB wireless BB. Most of the time it doesnt work at all but its all I got so what can you do..........

• Advertisement

Hi Rav1410 - i think they use thier dish because it has a bigger diameter, and therefore better for receiving thier signal

Sky dish points at wrong place and is too small.

On the B-DSL Website (Actually "Mediasat") all the "home" packages are just download accelerators for dialup.
    Their cheapest two way package is:
    One-Off Charges: Installation and Equipment: €990.00 Monthly Charge: 127.00 € (This is NOT astra2Connect and does use a 65cm to 70cm approx Sky sized Dish all over Ireland)

Have they actually tested their new package in Cork in the Rain on 80cm dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Err... that is 1-way satellite MR DAZ - return path by dial-up.

As Watty says - A2C would need a better spot beam over Ireland to be useful...

Advertisement