Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Student friendly" places to eat.

Options
  • 25-09-2007 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows a student friendly place to eat around the Kevin/Aungier st. area? (besides the canteen, centra, etc)
    I cannot face the canteen again, so I have decided to either just bring food or eat somewhere else:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

unfortualately there isn't a lot of places to eat around kevin street that's A: cheap B: nice C: a combo of both.

avoid the O2 shop like the plague, got a chicken roll there and the fecking chicken was pink :eek: needless to say i didn't notice until i was half way through and the rest of the day was not pleasant.

spar is ok and so is the milk bar (on the side street there beside spar), but again it's with the rolls/panini's/sandwiches they get so boring and you just get fed up with them.

to get good food around kevin street you've just got to pay tbh.

my favourite place for food in the area would be yamamori on sth. great georges st. - again it's expensive -but no one ever wants to go there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

subway do student discounts, and if you're fancy there's eddie rockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Cremo wrote:
    my favourite place for food in the area would be yamamori on sth. great georges st. - again it's expensive -but no one ever wants to go there :(

I've never once heard you mention that place :eek:

Solas has lovely food which is moderatly priced but this year it seems you have to book it in advanced unless you go outside the lunchtime period.

The village is nice aswell.

Apache on Dame st is nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

The cheapest way is to make your own lunch and bring it in, that goes without saying. As for places to eat, the park beside kevin street is nice on any day. The cornerstone is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

subway is a pretty good option and if u have a buddy u can go splits and get a burger each in eddie rockets with the buy 1 get 1 free vouchers which can be printed off here http://www.eddierockets.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=180_234

double take each for under €4, pretty sweet deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Best place in the area is Gerrys on montague street, its the road on the left before spar... Very reasonable and decent foor, especially the breakfasts!

If you want to go a bit more up market south street cafe do nice lunch specials, and dunnes in stephens green is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

look out for the fruit tree, just opposite subway, lovely sandwiches, staff are (or at least were) great and pretty decent prices too

and although the canteen in kevin street is crap, i used to occasionally pop over to aungier street in the evenings for dinner if i was working late, food there is a lot better that kevin street and cheaper too

aungier street "restaurant" food is awful, the chips are as hard as lego.

it's mad though all the culchies seem to love it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Kevin Street canteen FTW! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Thanks for the suggestions people.
    Went to subway today, and it wasn't too bad I must say.
    I will have a look into the above places in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 calzzada

You're forggeting at the same street only 5 minutes walking, there's a place called Govindas, it's hare khrishna food, free of Karma je ,that really worths it, prices are from 5.80 but a really hot and decent dish,

I mean another option for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Cremo wrote:
    aungier street "restaurant" food is awful, the chips are as hard as lego.

it's mad though all the culchies seem to love it though.

well im not a culchie and i thought it was ok, although i haven't been there since last year, so it may have gotten worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I know the people who pay rent wont be able to afford it, but NUDE do some good grub, only a 10 minute walk from Kevin Street.

Also, Snax In The City is also good. Just go down towards Georges Street and its on the left. The soup is good with a bit of salt'n pepper. It's a lot more affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

Faffies near kevin's street is great! They do sweet and savoury crepes, salads, sandwiches, panninis, deserts and great coffee! It's cheap enough, good atmosphere and a nice change from chips, chips and more chips! It's on the same side of the street as the corner stone! Ya can't miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

markk06 wrote: »
    Best place in the area is Gerrys on montague street, its the road on the left before spar... Very reasonable and decent foor, especially the breakfasts!

If you want to go a bit more up market south street cafe do nice lunch specials, and dunnes in stephens green is good too

Gerry's seconded! I'm not a breakfast fan in general but they do lovely paninis, €4 for whatever you want, with a side salad and crisps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

Spar and Subway are pretty good. Hot Chilli is great too if you like kebabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Gerry's seconded! I'm not a breakfast fan in general but they do lovely paninis, €4 for whatever you want, with a side salad and crisps!

Explain, where is this Gerrys place?

it's on leeson street.

directly opposite the southwestern gate of the green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

there's a small sit-down cafe at the northwest corner of st.patrick's park called "bite of life". they do lovely grilled ciabattas, salads, juices. i'm in there every other day. it'd only be a 300 metre walk from kevin street.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Explain, where is this Gerrys place?

It's on Montague Street. It's a little side street, the turn off is just before Spar on Aungier Street.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote: »
    it's on leeson street.

directly opposite the southwestern gate of the green.
    oops, i'm thinking of gerard's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 monkeyrevenge

DO NOT DO NOT Eat in the Bolton street Canteen "scholars"

1. The food is undercooked
    2. Its over priced…..they even charge you for ketchup?
    3. The chips are never cooked fully.
    4. My soup had hair in it one day and not just one hair.
    5. Check your change they always over charge you.

But what really stopped me eating there was
    6. I once seen the chef coming out of the toilet…he went straight back to work….after a no.2

Problem is there is not many other options around Bolton St for food

Decks has been a life saver
    Don’t like Deli baby across the road there bacon is rubber
    After that there is only the Spar and Centra

Advertisement