Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathfarnham - A Nice Place To Live?

Options
  • 25-09-2007 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm thinking of renting a property beside Rathfarnham Village in South County Dublin.

Do any of you know the area - I'm not from Dublin!

What are the shops, pubs, restaurants like? Is there any trouble with anti social behaviour.

If you could give me a general feel for the area that would be great!!:) :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

It's been about 8 years since I lived there, but I'm sure it hasn't changed radically. It was a nice place to live then, settled, family kinda of place. Suburbia. Bit far from town, by bike, and on top of a hill, which is never good! Apart from that grand, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I live around the corner and its a very nice place to live :)

Plenty of Shops/Pubs and Places to Eat..

Local nightclub is dead as a doornail, so no anti-social problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Grew up there, family still live there and live a bit further out if only I could afford to live there. Yep nice place to live only about 4/5 miles to town but like everywhere else traffic can be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

It's a nice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Does this also include the area of whitechurch in Rathfarnham?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 barry.cummins80

i hav lived in d area 4 about 6 yrs now. id hav 2 say it is one of d nicest suburbs in Dublin. der r a lot of parks, pubs & places to eat out in d area. Town is only 4 miles away and 30 min or so on d bus (when der is no traffic!)

i know dat der is a website for d area - http://www.rathfarnham.com
    d Rathfarnham Community Website or sumtin - u shud check dat out 2 get an idea

i dont tink dat der r any probs with anti social behaviour - sure d garda station is right beside d village!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i hav lived in d area 4 about 6 yrs now. id hav 2 say it is one of d nicest suburbs in Dublin. der r a lot of parks, pubs & places to eat out in d area. Town is only 4 miles away and 30 min or so on d bus (when der is no traffic!)

i know dat der is a website for d area - http://www.rathfarnham.com
    d Rathfarnham Community Website or sumtin - u shud check dat out 2 get an idea

i dont tink dat der r any probs with anti social behaviour - sure d garda station is right beside d village!!!

Thanks for the information Barry. In future no more text speak on this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

IMHO, it wouldn't be my first, second or third choice if I were renting but it depends on your priorities. If you want a nice, middle class, established suburban area with lots of local amenities i.e. pubs, restaurants, shops then yes it is a nice area.

The advantage to renting over buying is that you can live in the area that you most prefer. For me Ranelagh village (Darty and other areas around Ranelagh) is gorgeous and has a lot of the amenities that Rathfarnham would have but is 15mins on bus into town, 10 mins by Luas and you can walk into Stephens Green within 40 mins depending on what side of the village you live.

I suppose my priority would be living as close to the city centre without actually living in the centre. I like to be able to walk into town and walk home after a night out rather than waiting on taxis etc or be home in a few minutes on the nitelink.

Advertisement