Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed,home gaming lan setup

Options
  • 25-09-2007 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I've got 2 pcs running win98se(old school:p )
    We have a Netopia 2247-2 router as provided by Eircom.
    Basically I'm new to this network malarky,I've got them all hooked up so that they can both be used to surf no problem.
    Age of Empires 2 seems to work fine(ping is around 10-20which is grand(right?))
    I also play half-life(valve not steam:D ) but this is where there's a problem.
    It seems that the router is putting the game traffic via the internet.
    The server ping is 20-30 and the client is 60-90 sometimes higher.
    Needless to say this isnt on,from my understanding of a lan like this,the pings should be way lower,virtually 0 in the case of the server and around 20 tops for the client.
    I'm really not too sure on how to configure the lan,any help going would be much appreciated...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As long as your client's are connecting to the server using it's Private IP you should be fine. If you ping from the clients to the servers outside of HL what re the numbers like? Are you using Connect-To and putting in the IP or using a server browser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

thanks for the reply,
    pings on the net are fine(using a broadband speed test site) around 50-80 yo uk servers.
    I'm just using the in game launcher,i.e create lan game,join game etc...
    curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

I presume you're talking about the in-game 'ping'? Dunno about half-life, but some older games are optimized for unreliable (i.e. modem) connections, and can sacrifice low latency for high reliabililty of data delivery (including extra integrity checking, plus sending a higher number of small packets vs a smaller number of large packets, increasing protocol overhead). Check if there's a setting under network options for LAN play specifically, this might use more suitable settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

thanks,yeah no it's defo not an in game setting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

If you set sv_lan 1 on the server, then internet clients shouldn't be able to join at all.
    Is the result the same when you join with connect 192.168.1.? in the clients console as opposed to the ingame browser?
    How do you know it's routing through the internet? I think that's unlikely/weird tbh.
    Are you using a dedicated server and joining two clients to it? or are you running a listen-server? (ie. starting HL then launching a server from there)
    You might try one or the other, which ever you haven't tried before.
    You could try setting up the connection with a crossover cable instead of going through the router... even if just to see if it's the router or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement