Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubular Wheels

Options
  • 26-09-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted about before but the search function wasnt working for me for some reason.

I got a pair of 24 spoke Mavic XP30 track wheels (with deep "aero" rims) and Goldtec hubs, that take tubular tyres. Got a cheap frame off eBay too with horizontal dropouts so I'm making myself up a track bike. For the craic.

Anyone here got any experience of riding on tubular tyres? What's it like? If I even cycle on them for a short while on the road, are they going to blow?

More money than sense at the moment, as you can see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The key word in your post that would concern me is not "tubular" but "track".

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Tubs are only bad if you puncture and should only really be used for racing where you have support with wheels the good theing about tubs you can pump them to 185 psi which means better rolling not on irish roads as they are hard roads LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Yip, don't pump them all the way up, I knocked mine up to 210psi the first time I tried them on Limerick roads. My nads were in bits for days. 140-150psi now depending on conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The PSI depends on the rims apparently. But yes agree with the "track" part of this. Track specific tires generally are very very vulnerable to punctures on the open road so I wouldn't go there. If its a road specific tire. Knock yourself out. You can ride home on a flat tub (very, very slowly and carefully), nonetheless I would not go too far from home and carry a phone to call backup with !

I heard a lot of stuff about Tubs being better for racing and although I love mine to bits, I generally don't find that they feel any different to be honest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I heard a lot of stuff about Tubs being better for racing and although I love mine to bits, I generally don't find that they feel any different to be honest.
    It's the UCI mindset: if Eddie Merx had it, it's good, otherwise it's bad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

rp wrote:
    It's the UCI mindset: if Eddie Merx had it, it's good, otherwise it's bad

I don't think the UCI bans anyone from racing on clinchers

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

el tonto wrote:
    I don't think the UCI bans anyone from racing on clinchers

AG2R are riding clinchers this year with the new pro race 3

Advertisement