Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tracking

Options
  • 26-09-2007 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

To all my wise, esteemed boards brothers & sisters.....

Are there any of you fine citizens out there who have a vehicle tracking devices on their cars?

I will be picking up a new motor next week and I would like to try to retain ownership rather than let some Burbury baseball capped little fcuker make off with it.

Any recommendations for a tracking company would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

keefg wrote:
    To all my wise, esteemed boards brothers & sisters.....

Are there any of you fine citizens out there who have a vehicle tracking devices on their cars?

I will be picking up a new motor next week and I would like to try to retain ownership rather than let some Burbury baseball capped little fcuker make off with it.

Any recommendations for a tracking company would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

If it's a BMW you can now get a Tracker fitted at the dealers (by Tracker - the company with the agreement with the Police in the UK).

The only other info I have is for tracking Fleets of vehicles. Might be worth a shout to JDM on 01 20 50 500 or Commercial Wireless on 1850 86 86 86 to see if they offer single vehicle solutions as well. Both are Dublin based but Commercial Wireless also operate out of Cork & Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Whereabouts are you? I know a company in Galway who fit them for most of the prestige-brand garages in the area. Have seen them working, quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Thanks for the replies.

I am based in Kildare but do quite a bit of travelling around the country so location isn't a problem.

Unfortunately I am too poor for a high end prestige BM or Merc, I have bought a new Pajero Commercial.....but still, it wasn't cheap and there will be a lot of work kit installed.

For now I am just looking for a one vehicle solution.

cheers

Hi,

Just had the guy from Tracker in giving us a demo. Tracker can be fitted to any car by a BMW dealership. Cost is €999 for the installation then €219 per year for the subscription. The Tracker stays with the car and can't be taken out when you sell the car.

As well as being able to track the car if it's stolen you can also track the movements of the car for the past 6 months via the website - may be useful for keeping track of jobs etc.

If you are in Kildare then either Conlon's or Frank Keane on the Naas Road should be able to fit it. Call in a talk to one of the Sales guys (rather than service) about it.

Congrats on the new Pajero by the way - still miss my Sport sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Give these guys a shout they did my car and they can transfer it from one car to the next when you change www.motorminder.ie and alot better than teh BMW system and has the all important function where you can immobilise your car yourself

• Advertisement

NBar wrote:
    Give these guys a shout they did my car and they can transfer it from one car to the next when you change www.motorminder.ie and alot better than teh BMW system and has the all important function where you can immobilise your car yourself

Cheers. What did you get & how much did it cost?

I got the Smartrak but the price I got was a favour for me as a mate does a lot of business with them. Give them a shout or call into them you will see some nice cars getting done there, I hav eno problem with mine so far and it comes with a years monitering and after that you can opt for monitering again or control it yourself which is very good

NBar wrote:
    www.motorminder.ie and alot better than teh BMW system and has the all important function where you can immobilise your car yourself

I'd like to see a demonstration before commenting on whether it's better or worse than the Tracker system (not BMW), just wonder do they have an exclusive agreement with the Gardai for tracking the stolen vehicles (clue there is in "exclusive").

And don't get me started on www.motorminder.ie.

R.O.R wrote:

You care to elaborate? Something I should know? PM me if you dont want to say in public

keefg wrote:
    You care to elaborate? Something I should know? PM me if you dont want to say in public

PM sent.....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I got one fitted by a company called trackit years ago and have had no problems. I even used it to get home one night :)

I forgot where I was staying but knew the car was parked outside, so I texted to find out where the car was and showed that to the taxi driver.

R.O.R wrote:
    PM sent.....................

PM returned Sir

R.O.R wrote:
    I'd like to see a demonstration before commenting on whether it's better or worse than the Tracker system (not BMW), just wonder do they have an exclusive agreement with the Gardai for tracking the stolen vehicles (clue there is in "exclusive").

Exclusive agreement with the Gardai whats this about as none of them have all they do is inform the Gardai the same as any house alarm monitering company, what problems did you have with motorminder as I have had none and know alot of lads with high powered cars who have used them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

You could try TrafficMaster See this article Not only will you know where your car is, but so will the UK government and its strategic partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

PM sent.

Advertisement