Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Car?

Options
  • 26-09-2007 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

My OH has a 2003 E46 BMW 320CDM which hes selling at the moment, hes hoping to get about 20-21k for it as its on UK plates - so thats our budget.

My Question is, what next? Took us over a year of deliberation to decide what was the right car for us before we bought the BMW now were stumped again!

We'd Like something sporty but still factory if you know what i mean... Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

UK plates?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

UK Number Plates. The car was imported from the UK. Next buyer will have to pay duty to have it converted to Irish Registration, hence lower price...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bendihorse wrote:
    Next buyer will have to pay duty to have it converted to Irish Registration

Why next buyer and not current owner?

Off Topic and why are you questioning when you have no idea of the circumstances? :rolleyes:

I meerly said the car was on UK plates to explain the reason its for sale at lower market value for the same car on Irish plates, i did and do not want to enter into a discussion about the registration of the car.

Oh and just FYI, its legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think you'd be better off paying the VRT yourself and keeping the car your have. If it was yours in the UK you might not have to pay VRT at all.

For 22k you wont get anything near as nice as what you've got.

• Advertisement

The VRT is 8500 and we cant afford the extra expense at the moment, he just finished working in the UK (didn't own the car long enough over there to avoid paying the VRT) and ovbiously we can't be driving around Ireland on UK plates.

Thats the problem, not going to get something as nice again for that money... Toying with the Idea of selling the current one, buying something a few years older in the UK, bring it back to Ireland and changing plates on it.

Hopefully would be able to afford to do that as the older car would be less money to buy and also the fact that the VRT would be less on the older car...

I hear IS200s are really underpowered... Was thinkin of a nice stylish C-Class merc but dont know a lot about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No need to be defensive, Bendihorse. It's a pity your husband didn't own the car long enough over in the UK to bring it in under the VRT exemption. He'd have been laughing because he'd be able to sell it in a years time and probably still get more back than he paid for it!

Nice car BTW. Very few sold here originally so most you come across were also imported

As for asking price. I feel you're a bit optimistic. For low 20s excluding VRT / late 20s including VRT, I'd expect an '04

As for an alternative, what mileage is he doing? If it is not too high, consider an early E46 coupe petrol straight six - 323Ci / 328Ci? Cheap to buy, not so easy to sell on later though. Should be able to get a decent enough one for €11k-€13k
    Bendihorse wrote:
    Oh and just FYI, its legit.

If your husband is now resident in Ireland, he should have VRTd it within 24 hours of bringing it into the country. So, technically, it is not legit. Even if he's not driving it

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Does anyone know where you can see whether your car is an E46 or whatever else there is out there. I just say 320D, but have no idea what it is in the E way. :confused:

Someone showed me a link before, but I lost it. :o

And if the VRT is €8,500 and you want €22k for it... that means the car is €30k?

I saw 04 ones, really sporty and all for that price.. maybe even less. :eek:

Post a photo? :cool:

Oops, found it! :o
    bmwpj5.jpg

Advertisement