Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options in Dun Laoghaire?

Options
  • 26-09-2007 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Oki,

Finally got a place sorted in DL, moving in tomorrow all going well.

First thing is broadband. There's an NTL connection already there so all I need is an account. The tv+bb package is ideal tbh. Got a nice big flatscreen tv in the apt already.

I'd love Smart but I'd like to not deal with eircom for a phone line.

But is there a better option available to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Well NTL is a no go.

The area I'm in, I can only get the tv. :(

So I rang Digiweb and I can get Metro [which I never had probs with in LIM].

Ordered the max package for €60pm. Gonna be a month give or take before they get out to me.

Now in the event that I can't put the antenna on the side of the building, what other options do I have?

I did read that BT now have 8meg available in Dun Laoghaire. Would I be better off getting a phone line to the apartment and going with a DSL connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Hi kaimera - I'm in the same situation just moved to Monkstown, just up the road from ya, and we wanted NTL as well but couldnt get it (are you on MMDS?), and also can't put an antenna up - so decided to go with BT - 2 months later still no progress with them they're a bloody shower and their CS is an absolute joke. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055159818)

I'm considering just paying the extra for Eircom cos I think their CS is supposed to be alright. Not sure though cos not sure if I can get my prepayment back from BT - doubtful!!

I know it's a pain in the ar$e getting this stuff set up after moving house, and it's not nice to hear that your preferred option is probably the wrong one, but hope this helps some!

Yea, something about MMDS from NTL meant no broadband.

The digiweb was a no go because of the antenna so I ended up activating the phone line and I just have to get around to ringing back BT to do a line test and pray they tell me that yes I can get bb.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Well just think carefully about whether you want to go with BT - even if everything goes smoothly it's at least 3 weeks to get everything set up - and you're never going to get set up in that time to be honest... I'd explore all your options before deciding on BT, I regret now that I decided to go with them cos it's been nearly 2 months since my first phone call to them, and no sign of BB yet!

I have read the stuff about their CS/billing being poor but tbh I'd rather **** fast internet.

Again, this is all dependant on my line passing. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 serek

kaimera wrote:
    I have read the stuff about their CS/billing being poor but tbh I'd rather **** fast internet.

Again, this is all dependant on my line passing. :-/

Why don't you try DSL from Digiweb.. high speeds available and I think CS is quite ok :)

serek wrote:
    Why don't you try DSL from Digiweb.. high speeds available and I think CS is quite ok :)
    When I rang digiweb, I was only told about Metro so I'm assuming that I they don't do DSL in DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Living in center of Dun Laoghaire, using Irish Broadband Breeze 3Mb/3Mb.

(WRT54G Wifi router)

No Probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 swarms

HI humaxf1

did you go for the voip package? Or do you use skype or something else? If so whats it like?

Advertisement