Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your dog to sleep

Options
  • 26-09-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Recently I had the displeasure. My sheepdogs back legs stopped working, I tried all sorts of meds and procedures costing thousands and thousands. The vet and I had to put the 13 year old dog down. Its a terrible decision to make and I just thought I would let people know that some vets will come out to your house.

My dog got the injection in his favourate spot in the garden on a lovely soft blanket with me and my wife rubbing and tickling him. Although it was horrible, we felt the dog didn't really know what was going on and didn't die in fear. So, if you have to do it, get the vet out to the house!

Mods, if you want to move this to the departed pets, please do so.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sad. Makes me remember my Dane who lived 9 years before cancer got him and was put to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Sorry to hear of your loss lightening.

Having it done at home is a really great service though, I have never heard of this before.

We had a dog put down several years ago who had always hated going to the vets (don't they all). I still hate the thought of him scared and agitated in his final moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

yes sorry to hear of your loss. I dread the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Sorry for your loss, it's definitely the way to go for the poor dog and the least stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Jees, thanks for the replies. Fair play to you all. But, yeah, he didn't really like the vets, I just didn't want his last few minutes to be scary.

Still, its a horrible horrible thing to do. His mind was as sharp as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Always a hard thing to do and I feel for you.

For me, personally it's been a horrid year last year. Two of my dogs [A 14 year old Springer Spaniel and a 9 year old Great Dane] due to deteriation of health cause of cancer. BOTH within a few months from each other! :(

Springer was done down at the vets, where as the dane was done at home. Really miss them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

So sorry for your loss OP, it is never an east decision to make. A lot of people try to keep them going for their sake and not there pets as they don't want to lose them, but you have to make the most selfless decision you can make. And fair play to you for doing that. You were with him till the end and make his passing the best it could be for him. You proved to be a true true friend.

Letting animals go is the hardest part of our job, but when they have no quality of life, it makes it a little easier. You feel that you are giving them a dignified end and taking away the pain. No matter how many times i have gone through it with owners, and of course with my own pets, its never gets easier. I always shed a little tear.

This poem always makes me feel a litter better. I hope it brings you some peace. Please excuse the long post.

Kindest regards
    Jules

With heavy hearts; and a tear in our eyes
    after all these years; we must say goodbye
    Please understand; we've done all we could
    if there was anything we could do; you know we would

I'm sitting right here; gently rub your ears
    while I talk to you softly; trying to hold back the tears
    The memories you gave us; we'll never forget
    especially the ones; of the day we all met

One last hug; and one last kiss
    you have no idea; how much you'll be missed
    To look into your eyes; this one last time
    you tell me it's ok; you know it's your time

Close your eyes now; and go to sleep
    we'll pray to the Lord; you're soul he'll keep
    Go in peace now; our good friend
    we'll stay right here with you; until the end

Dream of that special day and time
    when we'll meet at the Bridge; and all will be fine
    We'll run and play; side by side
    with a soft warm feeling; deep down inside

Your memory will live on; in each one of us
    you'll always be number 1; to all of us
    Have a safe journey; through the night
    I promise when you awake; you'll be in God's light

So with heavy hearts; and tears in our eyes
    just for now my friend; we say goodbye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HunterS

Nice to know the professionals feel our sorrow during this very hard time. Thanks jules80. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

That's so sad to hear, I'm sorry that you had to make that hard, hard decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sorry for your loss OP, very sad. I hope you find happiness in the future and someday you will be reunited. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Oh this is so heartbreaking, so sorry OP, but it really was a brave and correct decision. We had one of ours put to sleep for the first time about two years ago and even reading this brought it all back and a few tears:( I've posted in the departed pets section before about Taz. We now have a crazy little pup who, after years of having elderly dogs, is really giving us a laugh!
    But you are so right to tell people that the vets can come to your home, we did not know this and our vet (who was just great, the best around as far as I'm concerned!) came down as Taz was in no fit state to be brought up to him, only for that we would have taken him up and it would have made the whole dreadful experience so much harder I think. We had been so lucky with our other dogs who all died naturally in our arms and in no pain at home, putting Taz to sleep taught us a whole set of other lessons though, as sometimes depending on what ailment the dog gets and how uncomfortable they become it really is the best thing to do, we should have made the decision a few days earlier I think but its just the hardest thing in the world to do and/or to think straight about at the time. Good luck OP there'll be hard times ahead that only other dog owners can relate to, and I hope you guys find the strength to be dog owners again sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

HunterS wrote:
    Nice to know the professionals feel our sorrow during this very hard time. Thanks jules80. :)

Tbh, if you work in this profession, and you are not effected by certain cases or being there to help owners through the most painful of decisions doesn't make your heart feel sad or make you shed a tear, even in private, well then you don't belong in the job.

Manys a time i have come home and just sat in my room and thought over the day, and i mean this with all my heart, and cried. But some may think this a strange way of looking at it but i feel privledged that i can't help an animal, and that owners want me there.

No matter how often i go through it, it never makes it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I'm sorry op..
    we had the same thing with our dog a good few years ago,
    we buried him in the back garden.
    Our vet was upset having to put him down as he had had a wonderful relationship with him over the years.
    My father who i've rarely seen cry, shed many tears when our dog had to go away.
    Animals are a beautiful part of our lives and their friendship will never be forgotten.

I wish you the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I wish we did that with our dog. she'd a massive tumor on the side of her nose. when it got so big she was in a really bad way and my bro brought her to the vet. poor thing knew what was going to happen because he never walked her anywhere. he had to practically carry her. bad times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I was reading in National geographic tonight, some guy's 10 year old German Shepherd broke its back and was paralysed. The dog could not be healed and could not even urinate without help (owner had to massage its bladder to help it do so). Rather than do the kind thing and have it put to sleep he got it this "doggie wheelchair" (dog pulled itsel around on his front legs) and brought the dog on a 12,500 mile walk to Alaska. In the photo you can see what looks like blood on the back of the dog's hind legs. He then wanted to bring the dog on another trek to Russia but decided to eventually put it down. His last words to the dog were "we made it buddy" or something but it seemed he was only keeping the dog alive or his own selfish reasons. Who brings a paralysed dog that can't even urinate by himself on a 12,500 mile walk???

The OP is clearly a much kinder person as he knew when to say "enough is enough" and knew that as much as he would have loved his dog to be alive, real love meant letting him go and ending his suffering.

Advertisement