Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting two hubs

Options
  • 26-09-2007 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I hope this is the right place to ask this ... if not please move the thread. Anyway I have two 8 port network hubs and a LAN party with 12+ people.

Someone is after telling me that you should not plug one hub into another as this will negatively affect the performance of the network - is this true?

I dont see 12 people bringing a network to its knees.

Can one just plug one hub into the other or do i need to use a crossover cable?

Cheers,
    Civv.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

A regular straight thru' network cable hooked up is all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 civv247

delly wrote:
    A regular straight thru' network cable hooked up is all you need.

How about the performance of the network? Im assuming everyone will have T100 - or is that too much to assume?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well I have about 12 machines on a 16 port hub and another 8 on an 8 port hub with no noticeable performance difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Performance should definitely be fine for a LAN party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Daisy chaining networks are a bad idea. BUT for say like 12 people, it will be fine especially on games. Lan partys use sweet FA bandwith and i've done it loads of times back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As long as 'Hub' is a slip of the tongue and you mean 'switch' then adding users won't degrade performance. With a real hub though you will see degradation as adding more users increases collisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 civv247

_CreeD_ wrote:
    As long as 'Hub' is a slip of the tongue and you mean 'switch' then adding users won't degrade performance. With a real hub though you will see degradation as adding more users increases collisions.

No im told theyr hubs, although i havent seen them to confirm. The whole question though is whether with less than 14 users collisions are an issue, which going by the posts above they arent . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

civv247 wrote:
    The whole question though is whether with less than 14 users collisions are an issue

Not enough of one to cause any major problems. I wouldn't try any large transfers though...

Advertisement