Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build or upgrade?

Options
  • 26-09-2007 11:17am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks im thinking of either a new build or just a new gfx card.
    Current spec is amd dual core 4200+,2 gig DDR,Asus A8N sli deluxe,7800GTX
    Im thinking of going with a 8800GTS card or else selling on current machine and starting from scratch with a quad core system.
    Or could i go with new card and quad core cpu?

Would my current mobo support an intel quad core?
    If so how hard is it to install a cpu?
    All ive ever installed myself manually was gfx cards,ram,power supply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Your current board is a Amd board. So it is impossible to install a intel cpu on it.

With your upgrde its a tough situation. As in november new cpu's from intel are comming out. See the post from Awhir in this very forum for more info.

If you only have a 17/19" screen i would hold off the upgrade and just get a 8800gts. As that will still work fine if you upgrade when the new chips are releases. Around the same time as the new intel cpu's a heap of new x38 motherboard are being released too. And new nvidia graphics cards are due out in november too, but they are going to be 8900's which will be well over 600€ each.

So i still say get a 8800gts now, and check your finances in november.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks for that Anti,i have a 22 " monitor atm.
    I did notice a drop in framerates when i went from 19" to 22"

So your saying get a 8800 gts for now and then when i do a full new build just pop in the 8800 gts then?
    Seems reasonable to me.
    Any particular brand of 8800 you suggest?

Advertisement