Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent help needed!!! Sorry Long!

Options
  • 26-09-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭

Hi could anyone give me some urgent(ish) help, about 2.5 weeks ago I took my car for a pre nct test, nothing seemed to be wrong with the car when I took it in but they found a problem with the brakes..said they weren’t as strong as they should be and the wishbone had worn down…fair enough. I got onto the place I bought my car to see if that was covered under my warrantee, he told me to find out exactly what was wrong and he could tell me. I got back onto the garage with my car, they then said it was a ball in the brakes that had worn down (I don’t know what this ball is) My mechanic (from where I got the car) said it was a wear and tear item and he couldn’t fix it..I said fair enough and the garage who had my car (sorry this may be confusing) said they could replace the ball in the brakes for 340 euro. So I said go ahead..anyway, my car was in for the nct on the Wednesday (this was a Monday). I went up to the garage later that morning and they told me to cancel my NCT they would get me in the following morning as they were a trade they would do me this favour (app trades can go in between 7 and 8 in the morning) of course I was delighted, I cancelled my NCT and said I was told I had to pay a cancellation fee.

So the next day I went to pick up my car, he said it was fixed, I asked how it got on in the NCT, he said he didn’t do it. He was very shifty from then on – wouldn’t give me and answer when he would put it in and kept his head down and changed the subject.

It came to me paying and I was told that the price was 320, he said this as he was ringing my lazer card – twenty less than originally quoted, I was happy with this, because I couldn’t afford to get the work done in the first place. I didn’t get a receipt (I didn’t even think of it til later that day) but I was pushing an NCT but he just wasn’t gonna do it. Again, it was head down, mumbling and changing the subject. The next day I rang up, spoke to another guy in the garage (who gave me the price quote and actually did the work) said about the nct, he told me that he dodnt want to do it through the garage as his boss (the man who I was talking to the previous day) doesn’t like him to get too close to the customers – he then told me to park my car in a location (he told me) and throw the keys underneath the wheel and he would get it and take it for me, he stressed that I wasn’t to tell his boss. I thought this was very very dodgy and didn’t. I wasn’t handing my car over, he was then ringing my mobile (must it got it from the garage) at ngiht asking me to meet him…I made excuses.

The three days later – I checked my bank statement online and discovered he had charge me 370..I was raging because I just couldn’t afford that and I was told a price.

I rang the boss and he fobbed me off, I was so mad because he was bull****ting the price of the parts and the cost of two hours labour and said blab la bla VAT with the work blab la bla, he was shuffling papers willy nilly over the phone (for my benefit) and I was so mad but I couldnt let rip because it was in the office.

I just left it – he wasn’t giving my money back.

Fast forward to yesterday – I was driving along the dual carraigway and my brakes failed. There was a noise form behind the peddles (like a football hitting the side of the car noise) and a smell of burning metal. Brakes eventually worked (I pumped them) but were dodgy all the way home, I was slowing down with the gears and handbrakes..the banging noise happened a few times. Brakes sometime work but sometimes they don’t.

After I walked my child to school this morning, I drove to work (garage is close to my work so would have needed to get it down there) they brakes failed once on the way..Very bloody frightening.

Anyway 9after the long winded story) what do I do now, I rangt he garage this morning told the guy who wanted to meet me afterhours what happened and he told me to bring the car in and look at it.

TBH I cant afford to pay a fortune, am going away next week for my childs birthday prezzie) and after being ripped off by him last week am reluctant to go again – but my view is, my car was fine before I brought it to him, then the brakes fail twicxe after paying him to do something.

I don’t know much about cars –and am a bit of a walkover :( Do I demand he fixes my car for free or just accept its one of those thing! What do I do???

Thanks boardies!

BTW - I drive a 02 Peaugot 206

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Your laser transaction is a receipt so you have proof that they charged you for the work.

The brakes failing is a serious issue - I would call the garage once more, ask simply what are they going to do.

If you do not get an answer you are happy with I would not go back to the garage and get a solicitor involved.

I guess you may need your car but it is not worth the risk of driving it with the chance of brake failure - what if you child was in the car with you and the brakes did not work again!!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Thanks a mil for the reply – when I rang this morning he told me to go up to the garage at 1 – so I am headed in a few.

Im just afraid that he won’t do anything about it because it’s nearly 3 weeks since they did the work – they are just gonna give me a bull**** excuse I know it! Then charge me for fixing it

I am *hoping* to go in with the right attitude – but I know Im gonna crack!

Are they liable for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

they charged you for a service which they quite clearly did not complete.

Someone will quote a relevant section of consumer law or something but they have to fix it free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Vegeta wrote:
    they charged you for a service which they quite clearly did not complete.

Not to mention the potential danger that could easily have ensued following a brake failure :eek:

LadyE, you need to be firm with this shower and insist that the car is repaired. Have you had the NCT done since? If not, then get it done ASAP after the repairs.

I'm also interested to know what the hell a "ball in the brakes" is? The garage sound like total messers, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I hate having to use solicitors but this is one occasion when I'd go that route. Would be money well spent.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

I went to the garage - boss man tried to tell me that they didnt do anything to my brakes when I had it in a couple of weeks ago.

Grrrrrr

I said "Yes, you did" he then asked an employee and he said that they worked on the back brakes. Between them they came up with they put two wishbones into the brakes.

He poked a torch into the holes int he wheels and said that the brake pads had worn down competly to the metal - and a cataylyst has gone? The smell would be boiling oil.

So I left the car with him and said i would ring him later and my dad would be collecting the car (thinking they wont rip me off again)

So I dont know where I stand. If the brake pads have gone I assume that I have to pay because that wasnt what they fixed int he first place?

Does anyone know what this will set me back. Ill be car-less for a couple of months me thinks because I cant afford anything.

Or will I just tell them that Im not paying??

Plus - the only date I could get for the NCT is 31st Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

There are no wishbones in the brakes that I know of - they are part of the suspension. Are you sure they said exactly that to you ?

I also never heard of a cataylyst in the brakes either. Did they mean the catalytic converter ?

I think they are trying the "Flange fell off the sprocket" type stuff. I really think this sounds way dodgy. I suggest you perhaps ask a motor engineer to come and inspect your car and assess what work was done and what needs to be carried out. Perhaps ring the SIMI - if he is one of theres they may help.

LadyE wrote:

He poked a torch into the holes int he wheels and said that the brake pads had worn down competly to the metal - and a cataylyst has gone? The smell would be boiling oil.

So I left the car with him and said i would ring him later and my dad would be collecting the car (thinking they wont rip me off again)

If he gleaned all that information from shining a torch through your wheels then he's full of sh1t. This is a class A example of the kind of tosser who gets the motor trade a bad name.

I'd recommend getting the AA to do an inspection on the car to 'verify' what work the garage claim to have done. I reckon you'll never get an honest answer from that garage.

Hopefully the fact that your dad is collecting the car will make them come to their senses - but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Meantime, it might be worth your while checking with your insurer to see if you can get a replacement car while yours is getting repaired. Bestof luck with it.

• Advertisement

It was definatly a wishbone...100%

I was thinking that how did they know all that from shininga torch through the wheels. Grrrrrr

Im so screwed :(

Ill update when I ring the garage this afternoon.

Yes - he is a chancer.

When he said the catlyst bit he pointed to the wheel of the passenger side???

Deffo a flange fell off the sprocket - im too afraid to speak up for myself tho! I should grow some balls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It does not look good for the Garage.

My advise would be to ring them now and tell them to not do any more work to it. Forbid them to even examine it. Get it out of there and into another garage. Someone you know must be able to recommend another garage. If it is possible go and at least collect the keys to ensure they do not have the chance to interfere with it in any way.

If they did wishbones then they would have had the wheels off so should have seen worn brakes.
    You phoned and told them your brakes had failed and they told you to bring it in! they should have sent a truck to lift it as they should have assumed it was unsafe to drive.

It does not look good for the Garage.

My advise would be to ring them now and tell them to not do any more work to it. Forbid them to even examine it. Get it out of there and into another garage. Someone you know must be able to recommend another garage. If it is possible go and at least collect the keys to ensure they do not have the chance to interfere with it in any way.

If they did wishbones then they would have had the wheels off so should have seen worn brakes.
    You phoned and told them your brakes had failed and they told you to bring it in! they should have sent a truck to lift it as they should have assumed it was unsafe to drive.

I only went in for a pre-nct test... to make sure my lights were aligned all that kinda stuff.

My car was perfect before all this :(

I would do what you said, but I have already paid him nearly 400euro for *fixing* my car, and I cant afford to get what they have ****ed up - fixed again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Would it be ill-advised to name and shame the garage?
    Awareness is one way to stop cowboys earning.

I am so close to naming and shaming him now.

I called – asked what the story was..he told me that he has ordered new brake pads for me blab la bla

I asked wha there a charge? He said, “Well your brakes have nothing to do with me” Yes, but you claimed to fookin fix them 3 weeks ago

I actually hate him..so charge is 35euro plus labour. He charges 65 an hour so however long it takes for him to do.

He has the part ordered and I have a minus figure in my bank account. So cant pay him.

I asked him exactly what he did the last time..he said two wishbones and re-alighned the bank breaks.

grrrrrrr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not asking to name names but is this place a main dealer or some back-street place?

I'd call him now and tell him that you're not paying a penny more - If he has a problem with that then tell him you're taking it to the small claims court.

He's obviously bul****ting - wishbones don't wear out - not on a 5 yr old car. They've also got nothing to do with the brakes. If it wasn't 3 weeks ago I'd tell him that I wanted to see the "faulty" parts that he removed.
    I do this as a matter of course even in a regular service.

If the catalyst was gone, it would not affect the brakes. You wouldn't even notice it until the emmissions check in the NCT. It also does not contain any oil that could get onto the brakes.

I'd deffo send a stinker to the director of consumer affairs - they DO investigate all complaints.

If you post this in consumer issues, you might get better advice on what your options are.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

LadyE wrote:

I asked wha there a charge? He said, “Well your brakes have nothing to do with me” Yes, but you claimed to fookin fix them 3 weeks ago

I asked him exactly what he did the last time..he said two wishbones and re-alighned the bank breaks.

As was said before.............

That said, he would have charged you for them back then, had he been competent enough to spot the worn pads. I'd challenge him on why he let you drive away in a car that was potentially dangerous, and why he told you to drive the car to the garage after you had reported a brake failure to him. My guess is he'll have little if anything to say - just pathetic excuses.

I'd steer well clear of that set up.

crosstownk wrote:
    As was said before.............

That said, he would have charged you for them back then, had he been competent enough to spot the worn pads. I'd challenge him on why he let you drive away in a car that was potentially dangerous, and why he told you to drive the car to the garage after you had reported a brake failure to him. My guess is he'll have little if anything to say - just pathetic excuses.

I'd steer well clear of that set up.

It’s a backstreet place

I don’t know what to do.

I got my dad to ring up, they told him they replaced two wishbones three weeks ago (they had worn down) , this was because the brakes weren’t working enough to pass the NCT.

They said they didn’t notice the worn brake pads because a *something or other catalact maybe?* that pushes the brake pad up didn’t push it up so they didn’t see it. My dad said that he understood what your man meant and he was right.

My dad asked about the money they overcharged onto my lazercard without them telling me, the bloke said that the price that they told me was the price I was being charged and the boss decided to put extra onto the card. Its only 40 euro, but I couldn’t afford to get the work done in the first place so needed the 40 euro

I told my dad to ring the boss (he wasn’t in at the time) and my dad said that he would see him tomorrow (my dad said he would pick up the car for me). I am so stressed out. I have no car for getting work and literally no money in the bank for the work they did today

Ill have to get the money off my dad. I want to deduct the money they overcharged me the last time from this new bill. But Im afraid they will keep my car or hit me a box or something ha ha

I am sick to the back teeth of all this. Im so stressed out. I foooking hate mechanics (well this particular one)

Crosstwonk- On the day they said the brakes were driveable but wouldnt pass the nct - apparently, I had been driving round for months with the fault so the extra day was ok

LadyE wrote:
    I got my dad to ring up, they told him they replaced two wishbones three weeks ago (they had worn down) , this was because the brakes weren’t working enough to pass the NCT.

This makes no sense - the brakes and wishbone are independent of one another from the point of view of wear.
    LadyE wrote:
    They said they didn’t notice the worn brake pads because a *something or other catalact maybe?* that pushes the brake pad up didn’t push it up so they didn’t see it. My dad said that he understood what your man meant and he was right.

I imagine they said 'caliper'. Again, their diagnosis makes no sense.

LadyE wrote:
    On the day they said the brakes were driveable but wouldnt pass the nct - apparently, I had been driving round for months with the fault so the extra day was ok

I'm sure you the fault you mean here is the wishbone fault - which was most likely a worn balljoint. There is no way you could have driven around with worn brake pads for 'months'. Something is not adding up here. Is there any chance you can post the results as listed on the NCT failure advice sheet that you were given by the NCT test centre?

crosstownk wrote:
    This makes no sense - the brakes and wishbone are independent of one another from the point of view of wear.

I imagine they said 'caliper'. Again, their diagnosis makes no sense.

I'm sure you the fault you mean here is the wishbone fault - which was most likely a worn balljoint. There is no way you could have driven around with worn brake pads for 'months'. Something is not adding up here. Is there any chance you can post the results as listed on the NCT failure advice sheet that you were given by the NCT test centre?

I never did the NCT - I orignally went to the garage to get my headlights re-aligned and to make sure my car was in a fit state for the NCT...

Sorry, I think I am making this more confusing than it is. He said I was driving around wish worn wishbones for months, so one more day of driving it around wouldnt make a difference (I was concerned as I had my child in the car)

His original complaint with my car was that the brakes were not strong enough to pass the NCT. So he would need to fix it.

He originally told me that the balljoint (that was the ball thing I was refering to earlier!) had worn down - I challenged him and said could he not replace just the balljoint, he said no - the whole wishbone (I dont know what this is) would need to be replaced.

I paid up (I had originally been quote 340 - when I paid I was told the total charge was 320) but when I checked my bank statement the overall price was put thru as 360. I challenged him on this and he bull****ted me on the price of everything.

So then yesterday, the brakes failed, I assumed it was to do with the work he did so I took it in. He said it was the brake pads - they are down to the metal.

When asked why he didnt spot them before, the catalact (not the right name - the one you gave was prob it) thingy was int he way so he couldnt see them.

So there you go.

All this because I wanted my feckin lights checked!!

BTW - Thanks a mil for the replies, I really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

What he is saying about not being able to see the brakes is pure rubbish, Besides the fact that it is possible to see them he should have looked. No mechanic should ever risk just looking at rear brakes without looking at the front too simply because if brakes fail after they have been worked on the garage is likely to be held responsible.
    The way you described the noise (bang like a ball hitting the car) and how you had to pump the pedal to get brakes back does not match with worn pads. I wonder if he had the callipers off when he changed the wishbones and maybe left one loose. Its impossible to say what actually happened but that seems most likely based on what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

THis bugs me so much if I were mechanically minded I'd pm you to see if you wanted me to call over and fight your damn battle for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

Ya this thread is making me really angry as well, I would nearly go up to the garage to these pricks. Lady E you should name them.

If I saw this thread earlier I would have said just forget about them and never go back. It could be more hassle then its worth

WEll for what it is worth at this stage. If you go and NCT the car, and it fails, they will give you a list of what needs done. Then they will re book your NCT for you (usually a week or 2). THen come back here and get a reccommendation of where to get the work done. Hopefully it wont need much done if anything.

Thakns for the replies guys - i really appreciate them.

My dad sorted it in the end. Im glad that I didnt name and shame because the garage are actually being alright now. I only have to pay for parts.

My crappy knowledge (i.e. nothing) about cars and my anger about having to get my car fixed again (i bought it last sept, and have had nothing but trouble with it - has broke down 3 times, new clutch, exhaust went and now this- something is wrong with it nearly ever fookin month!) was putting me in circles (as you can see from my posts!)

Well guys - thanks a million for the replies - really appreciate ever one of them!!!!

LadyE wrote:
    the garage are actually being alright now. I only have to pay for parts.

Well I suppose that's something - better late than never. But based on your experience with this garage, I wouldn't be in any rush to let them work on the car in the future.

Advertisement