Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Skier....What to Bring?!

Options
  • 26-09-2007 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! I hope someone out there will be able to help.

I'm goin skiing for the first time for the New Year to Livigno and I can't wait. The only thing that's buggin me about it is I haven't a clue what to bring with me.

Ok so the obvious hats, scarves, gloves etc...but what about daily wear for the slopes? Going out wear, especially for New Years Eve?

Should I buy gear? Can you rent it there for cheap?

All comments welcome...thanx! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Any set of warm, hat, scarf, gloves etc and thick socks, either borrow a pair of sallopets from a mate or buy some cheap from TKMaxx once they get stock in. You don't need anything else fancy for going out round the bars other than what you'd wear on a normal freezing night out in Ireland, but having some sensible footwear might be handy for walking along the icy streets. Your better off with several layers of clothes than having one big thick layer though as you can then take off or add depending on how cold you get on the slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Daily wear for the slopes
    What do you mean exactly? Are you talking about under your jacket / pants?
    Going out wear
    I wouldnt bring anything too flashy or dressey, leave any high heals at home only bring footwear that easy to walk around in for a long time and has good grip. Livingo is a really spread out little town so going from bar -> bar or bar -> restaurant usually involves a nice walk or taxi ride. Remember that while its freezing outside its very warm inside.
    New Years Eve?
    Same as above, Ive never seen much of a difference. Make sure you organise something though with one of the bars/restaurants alot of them will have been booked out well in advence.

This is what I bring.

On the slopes,
    Goggles, Dry flow top, Jacket, Gloves, Pants, Underwear, Socks, Boots.
    In bag on back
    Spare goggles, Gloves, Suncream, Snackbar, Water x2, TShirt

Going out
    Runners, Jeans, TShirt, hoodie/Jacket

In total I bring ~
    6 pairs of socks for the slopes
    7 pairs of socks for the evening
    3 pairs of jeans
    2 hoodies
    1-2 shirts
    8 T Shirts
    3 Dry flow tops (I love these)
    1 pair of runners

Aoife2k ski resorts are very chilled out its all about casual clothing and taking it easy off the slopes, your going to wrecked in the evening so the less hassle for yourself will always win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

First off can I say THANK YOU for ur reply,,,it's exactly the kind of reply i was hoping for!!!
    What do you mean exactly? Are you talking about under your jacket / pants?

Basically yeah, what/how many little layer tops shud i need/bring? I presume some kind of waterproof bottoms.

Also for the night time, I'm not a 'heels' kind of girl (unless I know i'll have a seat for definate)...i'm usually in flat pumps or my trusty vans/trainer style shoes so that shouldn't be a problem.

What are these and where do I get some!?

Oh and you mentioned goggles...can they be rented and are they a definate necssity? I've got a few pairs of sunnies or wud they just do when i'm not on the slopes?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

aoife2k wrote:
    Oh and you mentioned goggles...can they be rented and are they a definate necssity? I've got a few pairs of sunnies or wud they just do when i'm not on the slopes?
    You can get a good pair in lots of places such as outdoor adventure type places. If it is snowing then sunglasses are about as good to you as closing your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Prefer wearing the sunglasses myself - but as mentioned above, ya really need googles with good lens if its snowing...or you cant see a thing, you'll only see the tree when its 3ft in front ya!! :eek:

I recommend getting one or two base layer t-shirts...wear one and wear a normal t-shirt over it too - found them great - not too bulky and as said before many layers is better than one heavy one!!
    I got mine in Millets in Blach - theres a link - but prices are in Sterling - think i paid about 20 - 25 each for mine - well worth it. Also, well worth investing in a few pairs of good socks.

Mens Baselayer pictured - but womens available also
    http://www.millets.co.uk/millets.storefront/product/070091.aspx?breadcrumbs=MIL%20SS06%20Mens%20Clothing;MIL%20AW06%20Mens%20Baselayers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'd suggest thermal underwear too (as in long johns or whatever the female equivalent is).

What I wear on the slope:
    Ski boots
    Ski socks (something like football socks or some other long think socks would also work here)
    Long johns
    Underwear
    Ski trousers
    polo shirt/sports polo (this is probably what the dry flow top is)
    Fleece
    Ski jacket
    Hat
    Sunglasses/goggles.
    Ski Gloves.

In terms of going out stuff if you are tight on space when packing your ski jacket can be used going out too. Either that or you'll need a warm winter coat.

Basically yeah, what/how many little layer tops shud i need/bring? I presume some kind of waterproof bottoms.

For your Waterproof bottoms you need skipants which are waterproof to begin with. Then under your Ski Pants people usually wear long johns + underwear. It really depends on how good your Ski Pants are, I don't wear long johns myself at all because I just get to hot and uncomfortable. Likewise for you I wouldn't wear them on the first day, bring them up in a bag with you and if you need them you can put them on.(You will have plenty of Oppurtunities) If its a bright sunny day and your standing around alot your going to get hot very quickly.

Its basically this whole "layering" idea, that you if you get too hot/cold that you can remove/put on layers to compensate. Its kinda hard to picture but it can get really hot up on the mountain, you think its snow sure i'll be freezing but because the Sun reflects off the snow and its glaring down on you, its very easy to hot quickly. Ive often left my jacket back at base and just gone around the mountain in TShirts. Im not suggesting you do this of course but its just to give you an idea of how sunny it can get.

I suggest you bring a bag with you with a pair of long johns and a 2nd top. Then if you get too hot / cold you can dress down or up. During Ski school you can leave your bag by the instructors, dont keep your wallet in it but its safe enough either way. Ive never heard of gear getting stolen. Make sure you bring a high factor suncream + dry lip stuff aswell.

What are these and where do I get some!?

Dry flow tops are like long sleave tops that cling to your skin but what they do is capture all the moisture from your body and push it away from you. So if your pushing yourself hard all day you don't feel like your constantly soaked. I use to just have TShirts under my jacket which are grand too but they soak up the moisture/snow and hold it on to your skin which can make you uncomfortable after a while. I should point out as well Dry flow tops are ~€50 each and only really of use when your going to be sweating alot, for a begineer you mightn't actually need it till the 3rd day or so depending.

I dont think you can rent them and if you could they would probably be crap. You dont have to have goggles alot of my friends use sunnies and are fine. Just make sure they are good sunnies, a sunny day you will be blinded the snow reflects the sun back in your eyes. if you have decent of sunnies like oakleys or something you can just use them on and off the slopes.

When are going to livingo out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I always bring a pair of flip flops to go from room to ski/boot strore area in apartment/hotel. Just makes it easier than changing shoes/runners all the time!

I also find it can get hot - so I wear pyjama shorts under my ski trousers, rather than long johns. On top usually t shirt and fleece.

Ski socks are a must for me - and whatever you do don't tuck anything into them or the boot, eg like a tracksuit bottom etc - my first year I had weals on my calfs from where the boot rubbed against my track suit - not nice!

Happy shopping;)

When are going to livingo out of curiosity?

We're goin at the end of December untill the first week of January.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Ski shopping here i come :)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

I wouldn't buy too much gear in Ireland before going - a lot of stuff is going to be cheaper in Livigno, with a wider selection. If you're going to have a free day to shop before you get ski passes etc sorted out, then you can get everything you need in the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

If you happen to be in the UK or somewhere in continental europe before then, have a look for a Decathlon sports shop - they've got an excellent range of stuff that can be bought v cheaply. If I were you, I would ensure that I had my own goggles and good gloves - being able to see and having warm hands is a huge difference to freezing hands and minimal visibility. Goggles will not be that expensive - I paid about 35 euro for my last pair and that was at the bottom of the lifts in Norway - possibly one of the most expensive locations in the world, plus they weren't the cheapest ones there. (I had to by there, I left my other ones hanging high on a tree during an off-piste run - long story :D )

Layering is the key - I usually have about 4 layers with me, although most of them spend the day in my backpack. A base layer, a t-shirt, a fleece (usually in the backpack) and my ski jacket on top, base layer legs and pants on the bottom. Nice warm hat as well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

juke wrote:
    Ski socks are a must for me - and whatever you do don't tuck anything into them or the boot, eg like a tracksuit bottom etc - my first year I had weals on my calfs from where the boot rubbed against my track suit - not nice!

Good, proper Ski socks are a must... the real key is that they don't have a seam up the side, so there is nothing to bite into your leg. If you have never been in Ski boots, you would not believe how big a difference a seam makes !

As another poster suggested, a lot of the football socks do as good a job and are seamless ( Canterbury rugby socks for sure ) for the "warmer" resorts.

The other thing is not to skimp on the gloves. You will have them for years and they will see you through thick and thin, so invest in a good and you won't regret it !

Oh and the most important thing - Have fun !!

wow, thanx guys! Really helping me in my preparation!! I was shopping today and just happened to be in the 'active wear' section of TK Maxx...saw some 'ski pants' padded yokes which I thought would be perfecto but I didnt' purchase. I'm keepin my options open for another while yet. I also saw some cool apres ski boots (which i really want) and were reasonably priced so I might go back and have a proper look at them.

As one of you said, I was thinking about waiting untill I got to Livigno to purchase some things... usually what I do goin on sun holidays for sunglasses/flip flops etc.. so I might hold out for a few things.

Ohhhh...i'm gettin soooo excited now! Out of curiosity, any of you guys headin to Livigno or are you all experts :p

Yep going to Livigno at the end of Jan! Staying above Marco's Pub .. which should be interesting. Also went last year with the Faceplant guys which was really good fun, possibly my fav snow holiday so far.

Dont forget that Livigno is a tax free area so you should get stuff alot cheaper than Ireland and even if its the same price I would think the quality would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

aoife2k wrote:
    wow, thanx guys! Really helping me in my preparation!! I was shopping today and just happened to be in the 'active wear' section of TK Maxx...saw some 'ski pants' padded yokes which I thought would be perfecto but I didnt' purchase. I'm keepin my options open for another while yet. I also saw some cool apres ski boots (which i really want) and were reasonably priced so I might go back and have a proper look at them.

As one of you said, I was thinking about waiting untill I got to Livigno to purchase some things... usually what I do goin on sun holidays for sunglasses/flip flops etc.. so I might hold out for a few things.

Ohhhh...i'm gettin soooo excited now! Out of curiosity, any of you guys headin to Livigno or are you all experts :p
    Was there at the start of the year, it's a great place. Make sure you try the tobogans, it's a great laugh! Check the winter resort sticky thread at the top, I think one or two more people reviewed it as well.

As others have said, you could leave a bit of shopping until you get there, tax free and all that. Especially if you get there too late to go skiing on your first day.
    Yep going to Livigno at the end of Jan! Staying above Marco's Pub .. which should be interesting.
    Say goodbye to sleeping :p

Yep going to Livigno at the end of Jan!

Me too - stay in the Leonina Rooms - which is suppose to be near the Morocco Bar ??? (which is suppose to be great) - never been in Livigno before - but cant wait now!!! :D

Nice one Curran, Ill have to meet you for an Apres Ski pint! We're going on the 26th of Jan, Livigno's a great spot.

Leonina Rooms is just down from Marco's beside ski lift 18.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Also went last year with the Faceplant guys which was really good fun, possibly my fav snow holiday so far.
    ...and I can also give my recommendation for the medical services in Livigno as well, even if it can then be a bit tricky to get between the bars on crutches at times they are worth it when you get there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

sounds like the voice of experience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

the pamela scott shop in town as well mite be worth a look, when we went in 2005 I bought gear there.

• Advertisement

Nice one Curran, Ill have to meet you for an Apres Ski pint! We're going on the 26th of Jan, Livigno's a great spot.

Leonina Rooms is just down from Marco's beside ski lift 18.

Ah bugger - im flying home on the 26th - would love to be going for 2 weeks-but got a few stags to go to and the weddings too. Might try and get a last minute deal to somewhere if the snow is still good later in the year :p

Well i'll be there for New Years so hopefully it will be fun...and defo somethin different than spending it in Gaoth Dobhair with out electricity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I'm going in March for my fourth time, it's with the family. It's a beginners/nervous intermediate resort really. I still love it though and am really looking forward to it. We're staying in La Roina Apartments, we stayed there before, they're so nice!

Just one recommendation... unrelated to clothes, you may want to book a restaurant for New Years Eve. I know we booked the Bellavista (their pizza is TO DIE FOR!) when we went for New Years Eve 4 years ago.

Have fun!

cheers for the heads up! I'll look into it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

tywy wrote: »
    I know we booked the Bellavista (their pizza is TO DIE FOR!)

The steak is to die-er for! Marios for pizza, Bellavista for steak.

Have to say, one of the things I look forward to most about a Livigno trip is the restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Im gonna be a virgin snowboarder in Jan too, so my question is; will those underarmour tops and pants do to wear underneath the jacket and trousers? And what are the best brands to buy when shopping in TK Maxx? I've got a trespass jacket and columbia trousers already, so im guessing I need boots, goggles, socks, gloves and ???

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

suncream-= i mean it its a must

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

TK Max is great for ski gear, best bargins are after the season for next year but theres still bargins to be had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

emo!! wrote: »
    suncream-= i mean it its a must

Cheers but I was thinking more in the lines of the clothes.

(btw couldn't believe when someone told me to bring the highest SPF suncream and the lip thing, I thought it was meant to be cold!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

cson wrote: »
    Cheers but I was thinking more in the lines of the clothes.

(btw couldn't believe when someone told me to bring the highest SPF suncream and the lip thing, I thought it was meant to be cold!)

It is cold. Very cold usually. It will also generally be either snowing or sunny. Sun reflecting off the white snow is worse than sun reflecting off water. Lips will also get chapped with the cold so lipbalm is essential (with sunprotection if at all possible).

Advertisement