Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got caught speeding

Options
  • 26-09-2007 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I got caught speeding at 130kmh instead of 100kmh on the N8 on my way to Cork.
    The Garda got me on laser during the night and there was another car in front of me over the limit as well.
    The Gards chased me and I stopped immediatly when I saw them on my back.

Anyway got a 80 euro ticket, I did not argue but I was wondering about the validity of the laser during the night, surely it works, but was wondering anyway, my car is shadow line, everything is black, that was a country road with no lights on the the road.

Any input ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

mick.fr wrote:
    I was wondering about the validity of the laser during the night, surely it works, but was wondering anyway, my car is shadow line, everything is black, that was a country road with no lights on the the road.

Any input ?

Yes. It's a laser. It bounces back off your car, whether your car is black, pink, or green. When they see headlights, they'll point the laser at it to determine it's speed. You were speeding, and they used the gun to detect that, and have you a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you serious? Night has nothing to do with it. You were banged to rights!:D

Lesson learned??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

mick.fr wrote:
    I was wondering anyway, my car is shadow line, everything is black, that was a country road with no lights on the the road.

Any input ?

Well, they're not going to chrono a tree @ 130, are they? So what else can refract the laser beam @ 130? ;)

Srameen, not the Boards high horses again, please - he's owned up and taken his pills, so that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I know about the laser, what I meant is that there was a car in front of me, speeding as well, and the time they took off they catched me first.
    And because it was the night, they had nothing else to check it was actually me on the laser and not the car in front of me.

But you've admitted you were speeding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

mick.fr wrote:
    I know about the laser, what I meant is that there was a car in front of me, speeding as well, and the time they took off they catched me first.

Well now, if you were a Gard eating your breakfast roll in your Mondeo, which would you catch. The car in front, or the one behind? The one behind is clearly less work and effort.
    mick.fr wrote:
    And because it was the night, they had nothing else to check it was actually me on the laser and not the car in front of me.

That's actually the same during the day. Laser guns are extremely quick at determining speed. So lets say they have the gun pointed at car one, and car one goes past the mondeo, and within 2 seconds you go past? The gun can also register you in the 2 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

May your burn in hell for an eternity for speeding you lowlife piece of scum-
    Speeding makes baby Jesus cry! :rolleyes:

Anyway - I see little you can do unfortunately. My Father in Law was caught leaving a village. A car was overtaking him at the time but the cops decided he was the easy target so he got done - ridiculous I know but thats the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

:rolleyes:

Is anyone else tired of all the posts on this forum about people speeding and trying to evade punishment through technicalities etc?

If you are speeding it don't matter if the garda simply looked at your car and guessed your speed - take it like a man ffs

I ain't no angel and have been done for speeding once - I just paid the fine, took the points and lesson learned I didn't even think twice about how i got caught etc as I knew i was over the limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

you will also get two points aswell.......
    im not sure what your looking for? do you want us to find a loophole to get out of it because he didnt catch the fella in front?
    any if he did pick the fella in front would you be on here saying how guilty you felt and asking how to own up???

luck of the draw man, do one of 2 things... stick to the limit or learn to speed without getting done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Very interesting, it's nto often they set up speed checks at night. What time was it at?

• Advertisement

Is anyone else tired of all the posts on this forum about people speeding and trying to evade punishment through technicalities etc?

I don't think that's what the OP had in mind at all. But maybe that's just me :confused:
    If you are speeding it don't matter if the garda simply looked at your car and guessed your speed - take it like a man ffs

Hang a sec' here - there's a concept of due process that's being missed in your comment: there's a bit of difference between accepting punishment that being rightfully doled out (by the book, acc. to the rules, etc.), and accepting punishment for just being the wrong face in the wrong place.

ambro25 wrote:
    I don't think that's what the OP had in mind at all. But maybe that's just me :confused:

Hang a sec' here - there's a concept of due process that's being missed in your comment: there's a bit of difference between accepting punishment that being rightfully doled out (by the book, acc. to the rules, etc.), and accepting punishment for just being the wrong face in the wrong place.

Due process wtf ?! We're talking €80 fine and 2 penalty points not 5 years being buggered in mount joy

And your sh!ite about by the book? That's a moronic thing to say given the present day legal system and the fact that he ADMITTED to speeding - criminals walk away free from court every day even though it's obvious they're guilty but get away on a legal technicality, OJ anyone?!

He admitted he was speeding so he should just shut the fúck up and get on with it not come onto a motoring forum looking for loopholes to get off

ambro25 wrote:

That's exactly what I felt the OP had in mind. There's too much "How can I challange this fine" here. As for due process - come off it. It's a speeding fine and he admits to speeding!

Very interesting, it's nto often they set up speed checks at night. What time was it at?
    Sorry for going OT but to reply to an OT above:- Here we go again. Let him know so the site can post a warning to let speeders know where and when to slow down. They can then speed to their little heart's content on the rest of the journey. Very responsible. I thought IST said the purpose was to get speedtraps where they were needed. Obviously legit on that road that night.

Due process wtf ?! We're talking €80 fine and 2 penalty points not 5 years being buggered in mount joy

And your sh!ite about by the book? That's a moronic thing to say given the present day legal system and the fact that he ADMITTED to speeding - criminals walk away free from court every day even though it's obvious they're guilty but get away on a legal technicality, OJ anyone?!

He admitted he was speeding so he should just shut the fúck up and get on with it not come onto a motoring forum looking for loopholes to get off

First off, I'd calm down a bit if I were you. And leave off the personal attacks, which are uncalled for.

Next, due process must the same whether you're looking at €80/2 points or 5 years in Mountjoy - that's what living in a democracy entails, wherein the presumption of innocence prevails. Due process = the handling of the offence according to Statutes, no more no less. My comment about due process was specifically in reply to Boinkmaster' s idea that a Guard could prosecute you for speeding just because he thinks you are, therefore without evidence.

If you'd be happy being policed by a bunch of semi-vigilantes and presumed guilty on sight, that's your prerogative - but that's not how the system works.

He admitted he was speeding to the Officers and in here, has taken the fine and will get the points - read the OP again. To my mind, he's come in here with a technical question about usage of lasers at nights, no more. Replies have been forthcoming, explaining that technically, it makes no difference.

So, that about covers it.

"present day legal system"? "criminals walk away free from court every day"? "OJ"? Cop on, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Very good point not a usual sight it must have been a warm night. Off topic bloody camoflaged Gatso van parked on the N4 after the Lucan exit. It's very hard to spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

mick.fr wrote:

I look forward to you making this arguement in court. Can you let us know the date and location as I'd love to be there.

ambro25 wrote:
    First off, I'd calm down a bit if I were you. And leave off the personal attacks, which are uncalled for.

Next, due process must the same whether you're looking at €80/2 points or 5 years in Mountjoy - that's what living in a democracy entails, wherein the presumption of innocence prevails. Due process = the handling of the offence according to Statutes, no more no less. My comment about due process was specifically in reply to Boinkmaster' s idea that a Guard could prosecute you for speeding just because he thinks you are, therefore without evidence.

If you'd be happy being policed by a bunch of semi-vigilantes and presumed guilty on sight, that's your prerogative - but that's not how the system works.

He admitted he was speeding to the Officers and in here, has taken the fine and will get the points - read the OP again. To my mind, he's come in here with a technical question about usage of lasers at nights, no more. Replies have been forthcoming, explaining that technically, it makes no difference.

So, that about covers it.

"present day legal system"? "criminals walk away free from court every day"? "OJ"? Cop on, please.

I'm cool but sorry for personal attack

I agree about due process of course but this guy admits to speeding so IMO he should just take his punishment, end of story

If he didn't admit to the speeding then I'd agree with coming on here and debating the merits of how he was caught and what he may challenge (if he thought he wasn't over limit) but I believe he's looking to get off the fine which IMO is just wrong

ps OJ thing was over the top wasn't it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

re jawlie:

Holy Jumping Conclusions Batman!

Sorry for going OT but to reply to an OT above:- Here we go again. Let him know so the site can post a warning to let speeders know where and when to slow down. They can then speed to their little heart's content on the rest of the journey. Very responsible. I thought IST said the purpose was to get speedtraps where they were needed. Obviously legit on that road that night.
    I am interested because this is part of the problem. The Guards too often take the easy option, they set up their speed trap on relatively safe straight roads in daytime perfect driving conditions trying to catch as many people as possible. But as soon as there is a drop of rain or it starts getting dark they pack up and go home. Do you not think it makes more sense to have the speed traps on dangerous roads or at times when the driving conditions are more dangerous, i.e. at night or during rain/reduced visibility?

• Advertisement

Do you not think it makes more sense to have the speed traps on ...at times when the driving conditions are more dangerous, i.e. at night or during rain/reduced visibility?

That's exactly what they did in this case. Damned if they do, damned if they don't!

That's exactly what they did in this case. Damned if they do, damned if they don't!
    I didn't damn them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So, the driver does not end up speeding in the area that the Gardai apparently deemed dangerous. What's the issue again?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I am interested because this is part of the problem. The Guards too often take the easy option, they set up their speed trap on relatively safe straight roads in daytime perfect driving conditions trying to catch as many people as possible. But as soon as there is a drop of rain or it starts getting dark they pack up and go home. Do you not think it makes more sense to have the speed traps on dangerous roads or at times when the driving conditions are more dangerous, i.e. at night or during rain/reduced visibility?
    I suppose the problem here is that a lot of the places where it's dangerous to speed are also places where it's dangerous to set up a speed trap. Let's face it, if you're going a bit too fast for comfort through a tightening bend in the dark and the pissings of rain, the sight of a yellow hi-vis jacket is hardly going to make your driving any safer.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

OJ anyone?!

i'll have some please

....unless its that lidl shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

They were on the N3 the other evening as well at 8pm, outside blanchardstown in the 80kmh/hr zone heading towards the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ps OJ thing was over the top wasn't it :D

Just a tad ;)

Anyway OJ usually waits about 13 years before admitting guilt :D

Anan1 wrote:
    I suppose the problem here is that a lot of the places where it's dangerous to speed are also places where it's dangerous to set up a speed trap. Let's face it, if you're going a bit too fast for comfort through a tightening bend in the dark and the pissings of rain, the sight of a yellow hi-vis jacket is hardly going to make your driving any safer.;)
    That's what fixed cameras are for ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's what fixed cameras are for ;-)
    I was going to say that, but I didn't want to upset you.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anan1 wrote:
    The problem is with that is even though you're driving at a speed that is not safe given the road conditions - you are probably under the (inappropriate) posted speed limit.

I'd also have doubts as to the accuracy of the laser systems when it's raining - surely it would interfere with the reading.

Advertisement