Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bet of the Week

Options
  • 26-09-2007 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Ladbrokes are offerring 100/1 on Geordan Murphy to finish as top Irish Tryscorer in the world cup. Considering he only needs one try to tie first, it looks a very, very big price. As it stand 6 Irish players are tied on one try each. 3 of these (Best, Flannery and Dempsey) are out injured while Andrew Trimble is on the bench leaving O'Driscoll (3/1) and Easterby (6/1) as the only 2 startes to have scored. The market just looks like it's been priced up completely wrong. I've backed Murphy at 100/1 and put a good sized bet on O'driscoll at 3/1 too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

which Ladbrokes did you get this price from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Online, all ladbrokes have the same prices i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Just checked :(

Geordan Murphy 50/1 - suspended

Yeah, it was suspended about an hour after i posted then dropped to 50/1. It was an enormous price and a value market generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So a great bet was killed by you posting here. Shame.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    So a great bet was killed by you posting here. Shame.

Mike.

Yeah, i bet ladbrokes suspended because of my post as opposed to whatever liability they racked up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

pwhite587 wrote:
    Yeah, i bet ladbrokes suspended because of my post as opposed to whatever liability they racked up on it.

You dont think its possible the two are linked??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

I've read that when bookmakers names are mentioned on certain boards, that there is software available to alert bookmakers to discover the topic instantly.

A Victor Chandleor's director apparently uses it,(according to a writer from Racing Post)....... but probably not on this board in fairness!!

This topic could turn out like the disgruntled PPower customer thread !!

what ladcrokes should do is decide whether they will pay out on 100/1 or not.
    if not then you should get an apology and a refund, they should not be waiting until the result is determined, before they give you the "bad news" .

I hope your bet stands ok,..... but I wouldnt go laying it off just yet :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I got 100-1 @ my local Ladbrokes and the guy in the shop was sound out and was laughing at the price but circled it to signfy the price was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Software, you mean like any search engine out there. Its very easy to set a search engine to search a paticular site or forum for keywords. I imagine all major betting sites do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

pwhite587 wrote:

yeah but he means your post alerted other shrewed boardsters who lumped on and therefore ladbrokes liability alarms started ringing.

catch 22 though! as long as you got your bet on and dont wanna bet any further who cares says you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I put 100 quid on Portsmouth in the premiership handicap betting with Boyles at 17/1. The following day the price was 12/1. One reasonably sized bet at 100/1 on a market like that and the price is guaranteed to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I like the principle of this bet. I've just backed Reddan at 100/1 to be top try scorer with S James.

On a side note.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    I put 100 quid on Portsmouth in the premiership handicap betting with Boyles at 17/1. The following day the price was 12/1. One reasonably sized bet at 100/1 on a market like that and the price is guaranteed to fall.

I don't think a single liability of €1,600 on a market like this would change Boylesports odds.
    A boxing/snooker match - would catch their attention. A season long Premiership bet - no.
    As I remember it Portsmouth were tipped up and Boylesports were a point longer than all the other big firms (and I applaud them for it).

yeah but he means your post alerted other shrewed boardsters who lumped on and therefore ladbrokes liability alarms started ringing.

catch 22 though! as long as you got your bet on and dont wanna bet any further who cares says you!

That's why i posted it - i had my bet on, i'd told my mates so then i posted it here to let others that might think it's value get on. This is a gambling forum so it's natural enough to post nice bets. What he appears to be saying is that my post caused the price to drop on it's own which is pretty ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

badbrian wrote:

I don't think a single liability of €1,600 on a market like this would change Boylesports odds.

Erm, I would say it would. They are an absolute joke outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

pwhite587 wrote:
    That's why i posted it - i had my bet on, i'd told my mates so then i posted it here to let others that might think it's value get on. This is a gambling forum so it's natural enough to post nice bets. What he appears to be saying is that my post caused the price to drop on it's own which is pretty ridiculous.

Exactly, fair play to you for posting it up and nice one on the price spotting ;) :cool: - if he does finish top try scorer let us know if you get paid, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its terrible when you crack a joke and forget the :D;) emoticons is'nt it? :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I assume that if there is a tie for first place, no bets will be cashed?

also, i bet on o'drioscal at 3/1, easterby at 6/1 . I also got G. murphy at 100, all at ladbrokes in Tullamore 2 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

sd123 wrote:
    I assume that if there is a tie for first place, no bets will be cashed?

I'd say its dead-heat rules. i.e. the no. of places will determine the return.

If three players tie, then you get 1/3 of your stake to the full place odds, unless you backed e/w in which case places will be pre-determined (usually 1,2,3 for 1/4,1/3,1/2)

Advertisement