Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How expensive would a bebo like site be to run?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

As an example, the software licensing alone on a MS SQL cluster, running Enterprise Edition on a pair of dual cpu servers will set you back roughly €2.5k per month - thats JUST the licensing on the software (not including the OS fees, hardware or anything else).

Oracle is many, many times more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

And that's the SPLA cost price if I recall (or very close to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

WPI20000 wrote:
    Don't know who you use for hosting, but 25k is nuts! Our guys charge us somehting like €3.95 per month.
    And according to your webpage, you guys advise on internet strategy? :) Where can I get an internet strategy and how much will it cost? Will I have to upgrade my top of the range Duron 900 to run it?

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im starting to think H365 and Blacknight are rip off merchants. To think these 10K+ a month companys could be paying less than a fiver per month for their hosting had they gotten proper professional advice on their internet strategy!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sure all you need is a H365 reseller account and you can charge yourself nothing per month for unlimited resources! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

mmmmm, I do love unlimited hard drives I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Unlimited hard drives, unlimited cpu, unlimited ram, unlimited bandwidth.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

slightly off topic but how much does it cost to post a project on scriptlance or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

If anyone wants an explanation of what goes into building a large scale websites and the issues involved, the O'Reilly Book "Building Scalable Web Sites" ISBN-10: 0-596-1023506 / ISBN-13: 978-0-596-10235-7 is a very good book. It is not exactly a beginner level book a it does cover a lot of the background involved and has a lot of very good ideas.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

mmmmm, I do love unlimited hard drives I do!
    blacknight wrote:
    Unlimited hard drives, unlimited cpu, unlimited ram, unlimited bandwidth.....

Its what I love about these companies ... they've heard our needs and they are willing to let us offer a bebo style website on shared hosting with unlimited resources. Fair play lads ... who said we were living in a rip off country :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 drang3d

O.k. without getting into hosting or bandwidth costs, it would be possible to achieve something like bebo using Joomla CMS and the Community Builder component. Both are free. Now all you need is your joomla template. An example would be the Communa Plazza template at demo.templateplazza.com

Advertisement