Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu

• 26-09-2007 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey just trying out Linux for the first time but... well I'm following the advice here and everything is grand til I get to the disk partioner. It says "Ubuntu will then load the disk partitioner to determine where it's going to be installed. Choose "Manual - use the largest continuous free space". This will automatically select the unpartitioned space we created earlier using the Shrink tool. Click Forward." it doesn't give me that option, just lists out each of my 160GB drives and says which one to partition. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Are you selecting 'Manual' or 'Guided - use the largest continuous free space' (the article you're following has a typo compared to what's in the screenshot. How are your 160GB disks used at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Larry_o_C

I have Vista installed. I made a 12gig partition like it describes but when it comes to selecting guided or manual, there is no "'Guided - use the largest continuous free space'" option.

You'll have to setup partitions around the existing Vista partition yourself. Basically this means you need to note what partition Vista is on (should be type Windows NTFS) and then setup the Ubuntu partitions on the unused disk space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Larry_o_C

Cool, how do I do that? I'm scared I'll bollocks up the PC!

Do you have a backup of everything important to you in the Vista installation? If not, then I'd say do that straight away. With Ubuntu it's difficult to really mess things up - it will ask you to confirm anything you do on the partitioning screen. When you go into guided partitioning, make a note of the details for the Windows NTFS partition. I haven't setup a dual-boot Linux for ages so I can't remember exactly what details you see - but you should see the Windows partition identified and can verify that the size is the same as the one you setup when doing the shrinking earlier on. Setup the Linux partitions making sure you don't touch the Windows one i.e. you should still see it listed while you add those for Linux. Ubuntu will confirm your selections when you choose to apply them and if you're really not sure you can back out safely.

It would also be helpful if you could say which version of Ubuntu you are installing and whether or not you're using a LiveCD. You might find http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2622/how-to_dual-boot_ubuntu useful as it has lots of screen shots. Take note of how the partitions are identified as /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1 in those screen shots .. that's the kind of information you need to take note of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭corkie

If you need some helpful information on Linux. Especially on partitioning and getting a dual booting system going. There is a very good and informative pod cast available at linuxreality.com episode 15 partitioning and boot loaders

As mentioned earlier make sure to backup your current system or create a recovery DVD for your current OS, that it is if you haven't made one already.

Regards,
    John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

be very carefull when installing ubuntu on a hdd where vista is installed.
    I had a serious nasty problem last week when i installed on it basicly killed the windows boot loader unable to boot vista or ubuntu...
    I have a app running on my vista box that allows grub to run in the same space will have a look for the app now.

Edit** found it ***
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
    You install this on your vista box and add entry for linux into it.
    When you boot up it loads your vista bootmanager select vista to boot vista or linux to boot linux simple.

Advertisement