Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on mobile broadband

• 26-09-2007 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I heard a rumour that the Skype application will not work when your broadband is the mobile type, can anyone confirm or rubbish this?

I'm only using the skype application at present for voice (no video) and it's to another skype application user, not a digital phone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I heard that it was either blocked or the latency makes it rubbish. Can't remember where I heard it, around here somewhere no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Five problems
    1) Some operators actually block it
    2) The delay can be severe due to 3G/HSDPA technology
    3) The quality may be poorer than dialup due to often slower than dialup UPLOAD or only getting GPRS.
    4) Some operators use NAT/Transparent Proxy and everyone then has same IP on Internet, Some VOIP SIP providers and sometimes Skype won't work with that.
    5) On a phone handset which since Skype does not "really run" they use a proxy server with skype and relay to it from a so called "Skype" application (3) or Fring. In the case then of remote Skype proxy the phone handset quality is much poorer than laptop modem on the same connection quality. Since some handset really have real SIP VOIP clients (none have real Skype), then SIP based VOIP will work better sometimes than Skype. This can be done to a PC free without a VOIP provider if you know the IP.

This also all applies to Blueface, SIP / Gizmo , MSN any VOIP system really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 corepl

watty wrote:
    Five problems
    3) The quality may be poorer than dialup due to often slower than dialup UPLOAD or only getting GPRS.
    4) Some operators use NAT/Transparent Proxy and everyone then has same IP on Internet, Some VOIP SIP providers and sometimes Skype won't work with that.
    5) On a phone handset which since Skype does not "really run" they use a proxy server with skype and relay to it from a so called "Skype" application (3) or Fring. In the case then of remote Skype proxy the phone handset quality is much poorer than laptop modem on the same connection quality. Since some handset really have real SIP VOIP clients (none have real Skype), then SIP based VOIP will work better sometimes than Skype. This can be done to a PC free without a VOIP provider if you know the IP.

This also all applies to Blueface, SIP / Gizmo , MSN any VOIP system really.

Nokia 6120 classic + SIP (fring) over HSDPA works great !

I find the delay quite noticable. It can be 1/2 as bad as satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Amazingly enough i use skype with 3 "broadband", & it works a lot better than surfing. I also tried to make it crash n burn by also using the video link, apart from periodic stills it works ok. Also tried it on 02s broadband & worked fine. Bit of echoing feedback but nothing that a slight adjustment to the mic doesn't fix.

• Advertisement

Skype *IS* adaptive. I've done Skype video on 33K dialup. The delay is less on that than on 3G/HSDPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

I have the irish Broadband in a box. Do ye think it would work with that?

About as well as with Mobile Internet. The performance is very similar.
    You can be lucky and on a quiet mast sector and then get better results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rcly123

watty wrote: »
    Five problems
    Do you know specifically which ones? (tall ask, don't mind if ya don't)
    Is it a fair assumption that this "delay" won't be as bad, then, on a wireless broadband option (i.e. digiweb, or one of those)?
    5) On a phone handset which since Skype does not "really run" they use a proxy server with skype and relay to it from a so called "Skype" application (3) or Fring...
    Ok, I'm new to this "fring" and using skype on a phone handset. Can you elaborate, or link me to a web-page to explain (again, no worries if thats too much to ask)

In short, I'm in an area of Dublin (D7) where
    *the phone-line options are out, and
    *the cable options are out

I'm considering O2's HSDPA, but need Skype for voice calls, so (after reading your post) don't know if I'd be better with a wireless broadband, as opposed to a mobile broadband.

ANy suggestions or advice is more than welcome!
    Thanks for all the info your posting.

I can't comment on who blocks it. It may not even be consistent.

Some Wireless have poor ping (latency), Ripwave can be worse than HSDPA. Breeze, Digiweb Wireless are OK consistent ping and Metro sometimes better than DSL. The Digiweb Mobile is also DSL style rather than 3G/HSDPA/Ripwave latency/ping/delay.

Google for Fring. You need a series 60 Nokia Phone with SIP for it. It does work and is free. "3" actually does Skype by a proxy server, the X series handsets don't actually run Skype, but connect to it via a computer.

You only want 3G/HSDPA (3, O2, Vodaphone) if you NEED mobile OR can't get anything else.

Most Fixed wireless broadband with an outdoor aerial (NOT broadband in a box) is far superior speed, bigger cap and lower latency (delay) for less or the same money as Mobile. Additionally with Mobile or Broadband in a Box, you are not always going to connect even from the same spot if the connections are all used up. Proper Fixed wireless they won't sign up more users than can connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Hey I had a similar question on borads before and thought I would give you an update!

My friend bought the 3 modem in Ireland and is now gone to Italy with it (3 allow mobile broadband roaming in countries that they also have networks in) and Skype is working like a dream with the modem over there! Its very very clear and the webcam worked well too.

Ideally if the mobile broadband systems here were as up to scratch as the one he's on in Italy then there would be no problem! Havent used it here though so I really cant give a proper answer to your question, but thought you would be interested to know anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ger macc

i use the vodafone 3g modem i run skype and msn live with no problems! but i find the program "fring" has a delay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I use vodafone 3G and Skype (when i used it) was fine, I now use VOIP Buster, works perfect I tell the!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tomas2007

Hello, would anyone share their recent experience? Does Skype work (in terms of being allowed by operators) for most operators using the mobile broadband USB stick for pay as you go plans?
    I noticed that someone mentioned mobile broadband works with Vodafone for example, however on their website they say it is only for bill pay customers, not for pay as you go (which would be my case as I will be in Ireland only for a few months).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Try the Midband forum, and not a thread from 4 years ago. Nothing has changed in the 3G technology, so it is still the same now as it was then; unreliable and no guarantees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement