Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of upgrading to 07 Focus...semi-clueless

Options
  • 26-09-2007 2:03pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Bit of a random post, but hopefully people can give me some good advice. I'm not a big car nut, and never have been (please don't ban me :D ).

I'm thinking of buying a 2007 Ford Focus. It's a fleet model, 1.4 l, 3 months old with 7000 km on it. The reason is not because I really want a new car, but I was thinking of "future-proofing" myself against lots of repairs/car problems etc.

I'll be getting a very large redundancy from work in the next few months so will have the money.

I bought a 00 Focus 11 months ago for 8500. It was (and still is) in excellent condition and at the moment and has 63000 miles on it. Given that its a 00, however, I'm sure it won't stay that way forever, and I could end up spending lots on repairs in the next year or so (the warranty is up as of today).

Do you think it's wise just to sell it now and get the best model possible? I keep hearing stories from friends on how their older cars are costing them a fortune in repairs. I don't want to be like that.

As I said, I bought the 00 for 8500 but the garage is only prepared to give 5.5k in trade in against the 07 (which is going for 19.5k so i get it for 14k)..is this a poor deal?

Should I sell my car instead of trading...I'm sure I could get 7k for it elsewhere?

So basically, is it a wise decision to buy this 07 now or keep the 00 and hope nothing goes wrong with it in the near future?

I'm probably going to add more to this post over the day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I doubt you'll get more than 5.5k for your 00 Focus anywhere tbh, especially privately. I'd go for a 1.6 Focus, the 1.4 is way underpowered in my opinion. Good choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Future Proof yourself even further by avoiding the 1.4 (horrifically slow) and ordering in a 1.8FFV (Flexifuel). Currently the list price of this vehicle is less than the 1.4 because of the VRT rebate. Can be run either on environmentally friendly E85, or purely on Petrol. Engine pumps out 125ps rather than the 85 (or something like that) from the 1.4. Not sure what road tax is going to do next year but hopefully won't be that much different than the 1.4, and fuel efficiency isn't a million miles off the 1.4 either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thanks guys, keep it coming :D

Ok my lack of motor-reated knowledge is going to show here...and to think my dad owned a garage :p

Is this "slowness" and lack of power a problem with the new Focus or just cars in general. I have no problems with my current 1.4 (having said that, I have never driven anything above a 1.4 either :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Might as well wait for the 2008 model now, even if only to get a better deal on the current one.

And there is a world of difference in the 1.4 and 1.6 as previous posters said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Ive just upgraded from a 99 focus 1.4lx to a 05 focus 1.4. zetec got €5000 trade in for mine. The new 1.4 is slower than the old type ,im guessing its because the car is heavier. But it is still a very nice car to drive .

I would say though the 1.6 is a better buy ,it'll be better on fuel as the engine wont be working as hard.I bought the 1.4 as there weren't any 1.6's available in the model i wanted.(zetec siena with sports pack)Bought mine in airside ford in swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

FutureGuy wrote:
    Is this "slowness" and lack of power a problem with the new Focus or just cars in general. I have no problems with my current 1.4

If you are happy with the current 1.4 then the new Focus 1.4 should be the same, suppose it depends on what you are used to. I have driven a 1.4 Focus recently and found it horribly slow.

Also, 19.5k for a used Focus is way over the odds. The LX was changed to a Style a few months ago (minor updates) so it's technically the old model. You may be better off trying to sell yours privately and getting a cash discount off a new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

R.O.R wrote:
    If you are happy with the current 1.4 then the new Focus 1.4 should be the same, suppose it depends on what you are used to. I have driven a 1.4 Focus recently and found it horribly slow.

Also, 19.5k for a used Focus is way over the odds. The LX was changed to a Style a few months ago (minor updates) so it's technically the old model. You may be better off trying to sell yours privately and getting a cash discount off a new model.

The newer 1.4 Focus is actually more sluggish than the old model due to the additional weight it has gained through extra safety equipment. And we are not talking top end speed here, sluggish at taking off and overtaking. I would definately go for the 1.6 litre.

To the OP, there are fleets of these nearly new 07 Focus models now back on dealer forecourts. Did you get a price from a different dealer? Don't just take the first price that one throughs at you. Shop around as prices can vary alot. Remember these cars were ex hire cars and there are plenty of them sitting on dealer forecourts at the moment. Over the next 3 months a 2007 car will depreciate alot more than your 2000 Focus will at this stage so be patient. Dealers will want rid of them to make room for trade-ins for new 2008 models.

Agree though €19,500 for an ex hire Focus is way too much.

I would also like to point out that it is not always the case that an old car can cost a fortune to keep on the road. Yes you have general wear and tear parts that need replacing but alot of these cars are still running fine on our roads. On the other hand a fairly new car can be a potential lemon too and break your heart.

My advice is that if you do change then keep the new car for alot longer than your current one otherwise you will constantly be stung for depreciation.

Thanks for all the responses guys :)

So based on all the suggestions, maybe I should...

-Wait until next year
    -opt for a 1.6l (not much difference on my insurance)
    -go for a 05/06 model to reduce the effect of depreciation

Comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The current Focus 1.4 has 80 bhp. That is very weak for a 1.4, a Corolla/Auris 1.4 has 97 bhp. Anyway, I don't think a car that takes 14.1 seconds to do the 0-100 sprint could be descirbed as quick. It also takes a yawning 16.3 seconds to go from 50-100 km/h in 4th gear.

The 1.6(non Ghia models) does the 0-100 in 11.9, so that is definately more like it, and is a whole 3 seconds faster from 50-100 in 4th(though it is still not that fast). For the privileges of a much quicker and therefore better engine, you pay a financial penalty of a mere 0.6 mpg(42.8 mpg for the 1.4 vs 42.2 for the 1.6), according to Ford.

Its a no brainer IMO, which engine to have.

Incidentally the old 1.4 Focus had even less power at 75 bhp, but it was lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Or have a look at the 1.6 Ti-Vct
    This engine comes in the titanium and puts out 115 PS.
    Very noticeable difference between this and the 1.4
    Also a bit of a difference between this and the standard 1.6

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - Nobody has yet asked you the two most important questions:

a.) What do you use your car for?

and

b.) What's important to you in a car?

These two questions alone should determine what you do (or don't do).:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

R.O.R wrote:
    Future Proof yourself even further by avoiding the 1.4 (horrifically slow) and ordering in a 1.8FFV (Flexifuel). Currently the list price of this vehicle is less than the 1.4 because of the VRT rebate. Can be run either on environmentally friendly E85, or purely on Petrol. Engine pumps out 125ps rather than the 85 (or something like that) from the 1.4. Not sure what road tax is going to do next year but hopefully won't be that much different than the 1.4, and fuel efficiency isn't a million miles off the 1.4 either.

1.8 FFV is attractive. It comes in LX spec. only however on Focus saloons, hatches and estate.

You can get it in Activ (basically Zetec) spec. in a C Max however.

The facelifted range may alter that however. It would make sense. If you could get a high spec. 1.8FFV with VRT and road tax discounts it'd sell well I reckon.

Maybe the X Max will offer this combo too?

Thanks everyone,
    Anan1, good questions

i) What I use it for-I use it really just to drive to work and away on a few weekends. I only put about 6000 miles on my 00 Focus in the last 12 months.

ii) What's important-safety, nice looking car, and I guess I could do with a bit more power (arrrgh, motors forum has brainwashed me :D ). I have noticed that I would like a bit more out of the engine at times.

As I stated in my op, I'm not the biggest fan of cars, and the only reason I really bought my current car is that I moved away from a regular bus route (having said that, I'd never go back to buses!)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

definately wait for the new model and the eco friendly version. IT will without doubt save u money and hold value in the future. Maybe even give u a feel good factor :)

Advertisement