Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped for speeding with UK license, what happens if he ever wants an Irish one?

Options
  • 26-09-2007 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

My friend was stopped for speeding, but because he has just moved back to Ireland still has a UK driving license. :) So he gets no points but does have to pay the €80.

I was reading on boards.ie some posts claiming that that if he ever wants to swap the UK license for an Irish one, they'll add the points onto his Irish license. Anyone have any experience with this?

(I know a good few people who lived in England years ago but never bothered exchanging their UK licenses for Irish ones, because they don't expire till you're 70 and you can't get penalty points. But if they keep a record of your penalty points anyway, seems a bit risky to ever exchange your license.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I think he won't get any points, but will have to pay the €80, which is pretty sweet.

I notice an awful lot of people on this forum are concerned with their friends motoring problems......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tony Danza wrote:
    I notice an awful lot of people on this forum are concerned with their friends motoring problems......
    'Friend' is also referred to as SWIM (Someone Who Isn't Me) by people who are being more honest. ;)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

you shouldnt believe everything you read!
    €80 fine and thats all your "friend" will get.
    when they exchange their licence they get a clean slate.
    lucky them!
    if i was your friend id hold onto the UK licence for as long as possible! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

Theres no way I would change my UK one for an irish one if I had one...
    You know it makes sense :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 saloon

Quiff81 wrote:
    you shouldnt believe everything you read!
    €80 fine and thats all your "friend" will get.
    when they exchange their licence they get a clean slate.
    lucky them!
    if i was your friend id hold onto the UK licence for as long as possible!

It's all a bit hypothetical anyway, I couldn't see how they'd be able to 'store' the points up anyway.

(and to those of you without friends :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

The points will be waiting for him when he exchanges his licence just leave the section where it looks for licence number blank and send the cash and he will be points free when he exchanges in the future

Advertisement