Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Mayor Charged

• 26-09-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

From www.rte.ie/news

Waterford councillor charged with battery
    Wednesday, 26 September 2007 16:16
    The former mayor of Waterford city has appeared in a US court charged with battery or making physical contact with another person over the weekend.

Hilary Quinlan, who is a councillor on Waterford City Council and a former chairperson of the South Eastern Health Board, was arrested in the early hours of Sunday morning in Bloomington, Illinois where he was attending a family wedding.

McLean County Circuit Court said Mr Quinlan, who has an address at Daisy Terrace in Waterford spent two nights in jail before being brought to court at 1pm on Monday afternoon. He faces one charge of battery.

The court says the charge relates to an incident whereby Mr Quinlan allegedly made physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature with a woman. The charge is a Class A Criminal Misdemeanor.

A bond of $100 was paid and Mr Quinlan is due back in court on 7 November.

RTE News spoke with Mr Quinlan earlier today but repeated attempts to contact him this evening have been unsuccessful.

Mr Quinlan was mayor of Waterford city three times and was first elected to the City Council in 1985.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

does,nt look good for hilary does it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I guess this will be Billy Mc Carthys main topic of discussion for all the auld ones in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Jambo wrote:
    I guess this will be Billy Mc Carthys main topic of discussion for all the auld ones in the morning

Yeah, I can just picture all the "well girl" conversations up in the Hyper, all the oul biddies trying to be first with the gossip:

Well Mauwra girl...
    -Ah well Biddy!
    (whispering tone, hand on the other's arm)
    Did'ya hear about Hilary Quinlan...?
    -Aw sure I did gerdl... shocking! They were talking about it on Billy McCarthy.
    And did you hear <shocking unfounded rumour>?
    -Go waiyyy...
    (adopts high moral tone)
    Now...! That's what I heard...
    -Picture...! And he a married man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought he was a girl!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

fricatus wrote:
    Yeah, I can just picture all the "well girl" conversations up in the Hyper, all the oul biddies trying to be first with the gossip:

Well Mauwra girl...
    -Ah well Biddy!
    -Go waiyyy...
    (adopts high moral tone)

rofl brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 papa

Somebody must have thrown his switch and turned him on. I couldn't resist adding that on this current topic.
    I wonder watt people will say about him when he gets ohm!!

Battery, circuit, charge, watt, ohm...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I know Hilary myself. This would be totally out of character for him. One of life's nice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chillimetro

Freddie59 wrote:
    I know Hilary myself. This would be totally out of character for him. One of life's nice guys.
    not sure about that spinners fella tho!!!!!!!;) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I read in one of today's papers that he hit his wife across the face (at least twice) and left marks on her face and the hotel called the police who arrested him along with 3 brothers from another family.

There were about 20 people involved in the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

All this seems to be a bit too surreal for a small-time politician. Seems oddly out of character for him also.

fricatus wrote:

Well Mauwra girl...
    -Ah well Biddy!
    -Go waiyyy...
    (adopts high moral tone)
    hahaha ah thats brilliant and too true,

mike65 wrote:
    Battery, circuit, charge, watt, ohm...

Mike.
    he must be an electrician by the looks of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

does,nt look good for hilary does it!!!!

No... Barack Obama is steaming ahead in the polls...

BOOM BOOM! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

fricatus wrote:

Well Mauwra girl...
    -Ah well Biddy!
    -Go waiyyy...
    (adopts high moral tone)

Rofl!

That's spot on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Brilliant! Heard a similar conversation by 2 oul wans outside the post office in Arundel Sq.

No official statement yet I suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hahaha

come on now people, Hilary Quinlan is a respected waterford man and has worked hard for the people of waterford over the years, surely people who know him will know this is not true and that is fact!!! as usual waterford loves gossip!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

hahaha wrote:
    come on now people, Hilary Quinlan is a respected waterford man and has worked hard for the people of waterford over the years, surely people who know him will know this is not true and that is fact!!! as usual waterford loves gossip!!

So your basically asking us to discount a report by our national broadcaster in favour of your word.
    Rightio, best of luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hahaha

im not askin ya to do anything... beleive what u want... but has it occurred to u that what is said in the paper isnt full truth and legs and arms have been added.. ull hear what really happened soon enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

hahaha wrote:
    im not askin ya to do anything... beleive what u want... but has it occurred to u that what is said in the paper isnt full truth and legs and arms have been added.. ull hear what really happened soon enough!

I heard he was at a wedding and he slapped a guest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Fair enough in that case.

I'm not sure what paper you're referring to but the only source of info I have is the RTE story and there doesn't seem to be any legs attached to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Yes. The source of this story is very true, no doubt. Let's hope it will soon be resolved for all parties involved.

It wouldn't be fair to pass judgement on anybody when we weren't there ourselves.

However, I would like to add, that the DJ who was playing at the wedding has been called in for questioning also.

He was playing a track by UK Essex group The Prodigy at the time, entitled:
    "Smack My Bitch Up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bloomington

http://www.mcleancountyil.gov/CircuitClerk/PA_Dispostion.asp?case_person_id=949759

Go to the above site and view the facts about your Ex Mayor you can also read about him in our local paper in Bloomington Illinois 'The Pantagraph"

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/09/27/news/doc46fae679a57a2973846593.txt

I was a guest and witnessed this debacle which ruined a beautiful wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 veracious

Hilary Quinlan has been charged with hitting a woman who was his niece not his wife. You may think he is an upstanding member of society but alot of peoples opinions changed that night. Just goes to show you never truely know someone.

http://www.mcleancountyil.gov/circuitclerk/PA_App_Date.asp?case_person_id=949759

They may have spelt this mans name wrong but all the other information is correct!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

hahaha wrote:

Well below is a post from someone who says they were a guest at the weeding. Should we discard them also.
    http://www.mcleancountyil.gov/Circui...rson_id=949759

Go to the above site and view the facts about your Ex Mayor you can also read about him in our local paper in Bloomington Illinois 'The Pantagraph"

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...2973846593.txt

I was a guest and witnessed this debacle which ruined a beautiful wedding.

veracious wrote:
    They may have spelt this mans name wrong but all the other information is correct!
    Hope its not treated like a parking fine so, if any part of the name is wrong on the summons the case is thrown out.

Facinating that we got two new members just to post on this thread. Power of the internet eh?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Facinating that we got two new members just to post on this thread. Power of the internet eh?

Mike.

I was thinking the very same Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

There seems to be a couple of people who joined just to post on this subject.I'm not a supporter of HQ or his party but he deserves due process whatever it is he supposed to have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh dear!

deliverance.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement