Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black/white/combination smart dress/outfit needed

• 26-09-2007 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

I haven't got much time to go shopping but I need a smart dress or outfit in black/white/both for early November. I don't like displaying bare shoulders (plus it'll be cold) and don't want to be showing off too much cleavage either. Long shot but if anyone has seen anything that might suit and would be willing to let me know here, then I'd be delighted to have shortened my shopping time! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emma76

I got a really nice black dress in H+M and all you would have to do is put a cardigan over it, You could even wear black tights to make it look really good too,if doing this Id wear like a cream cardigan or something...not white!!

Now all you have to do is accessorize to make it look fab. Check out www.rebeccadavis.com for earrings, I got a pair there to match that very outfit!

Good luck xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe this in black and white shirt?

v1stqqauw5optw34livxbs4515112006182450.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

There's lots of black around so you shouldn't find it too hard to find something. What's the occasion? Just to give us a better idea of the type of outfit you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

emma76 wrote:
    I got a really nice black dress in H+M and all you would have to do is put a cardigan over it, You could even wear black tights to make it look really good too,if doing this Id wear like a cream cardigan or something...not white!!

Now all you have to do is accessorize to make it look fab. Check out www.rebeccadavis.com for earrings, I got a pair there to match that very outfit!

Good luck xx

Thanks emma76, I'll hop into H&M in a couple of days and check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Is it for graduation? i had to wear black/white to mine. I just wore my old faithful little black dress and then bought a short black sequinned bolero style thing. It's great because I've worn the bolero thing loads of times with jeans too si I didn't buy it just for one occassion. Just because an event says black and white doesn't mean you have to wear something white, You can wear all black if you want.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's for graduation. The letter says people not dressed appropriately may not be admitted. Watna, did anyone attend yours dressed in say navy or some other smart outfit that wasn't black or white? I'd rather not wear black or white at all because I'm so pale that they just wash me out completely. White is a bit summery though so I think a combination of black with a bit of white to lift it might suit me best.

Right, I've decided to wear a black skirt that I already have and just get a nice shirt to wear with it. Are those patterned tights that were everywhere this time last year still fashionable or would plain ones be better? I don't want to be too boring but would plain ones look smarter anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lyndy

dame wrote:
    Right, I've decided to wear a black skirt that I already have and just get a nice shirt to wear with it. Are those patterned tights that were everywhere this time last year still fashionable or would plain ones be better? I don't want to be too boring but would plain ones look smarter anyway?

Patterned tights or black tights are still in,you might be better get some nice tan ones if it is a more formal occasion. Get Wolford or Falke tights as they will fit better,wear better and look better,downside is they will be a bit pricey. Some good deals might be available on some shopping website, My Tights/Figleaves/Stockings Direct etc etc

Thanks lyndy!

Dame, I graduated friom Trinity. Are you the same? Nobody got refused as far as I know but everyone was very dressed up. The boys wear tuxes so all the girls where in shirts and skirts or dresses. What you've chosen sounds fine. The gown is open so people will see what you're wearing but it does cover the top half of whatever top you're wearing because you have a rabbit fur yoke around your neck. Are you going to get a white shirt? I've seen lots of nice white shirts/blouses around at the moment so that sounds nice. I wore flesh coloured tights with me dress (it was cold!) and and black heels. It looked nice in the photos to have some skin on show, although my skirt was below my knee.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's Trinity. I've ordered this shirt: http://www.promod.co.uk/shirts/long-sleeves/satin-stripe-top-white-R3260015020N5.html I hope that'll be dressy enough? I can wear it again for work and stuff. I'll wear it with a black skirt I got in Monsoon about this time last year. It's to the knee (or maybe slightly below, haven't worn it in months, can't remember). It's a good material with a slight sheen, cut on bias and has a bit of detail around the bottom. I'll try the outfit out when the shirt comes but I'd say that should do it? I'll check out those good tights lyndy mentioned too, in skin colour.

dame wrote:
    Yes, it's Trinity. I've ordered this shirt: http://www.promod.co.uk/shirts/long-sleeves/satin-stripe-top-white-R3260015020N5.html I hope that'll be dressy enough? I can wear it again for work and stuff. I'll wear it with a black skirt I got in Monsoon about this time last year. It's to the knee (or maybe slightly below, haven't worn it in months, can't remember). It's a good material with a slight sheen, cut on bias and has a bit of detail around the bottom. I'll try the outfit out when the shirt comes but I'd say that should do it? I'll check out those good tights lyndy mentioned too, in skin colour.

Sounds perfect. You're right to get something you can wear again. Have fun at your grad!

Thanks, I will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Bt's and Arnotts both do Falke and Wolford,the best value ones in my opinion are the Falke Lunelle range which should be around 10 euro,more expensive than Dunnes Stores own for example but will wear better and look more dressy also,a saving in the long run!

Thanks highlight100, that's cut down my searching nicely!

Advertisement