Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs & Socs

Options
  • 26-09-2007 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

So did ye join anything today?! I'm back to the sub aqua as usual (2nd year on committee) and of course being a lad had to join the motoring club :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I joined some in first year because they were giving away some free envy passes and lollipops and things like that. I haven't joined one ever since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Duff

Never got a chance to go to the clubs and socs, was on a train to maynooth for their freshers parties :D..wanted to join soccer though so ill just turn up for training whenever its on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

John

I joined sub aqua too. Passed the breathing test last thursday night. I am thinking of emailing the group to see if anyone is interested in forming a training group where we can go and train together in the pool. (I would feel very stupid training on my own with mask/flippers in my local pool).

Do you know of any diving shops in the area for buying gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

KStaford wrote:
    John

I joined sub aqua too. Passed the breathing test last thursday night. I am thinking of emailing the group to see if anyone is interested in forming a training group where we can go and train together in the pool. (I would feel very stupid training on my own with mask/flippers in my local pool).

Do you know of any diving shops in the area for buying gear?

We train every Thursday night at the pool, and we provide equipment ;)

I know that, Im talking about extra training.

Personally, last thursday night there was so many people there that I barely got a look in. It was off putting and worrying. I got to try the rolls once. So I know that if I dont practice these I wont pass any tests.

• Advertisement

KStaford wrote:
    I know that, Im talking about extra training.

Personally, last thursday night there was so many people there that I barely got a look in. It was off putting and worrying. I got to try the rolls once. So I know that if I dont practice these I wont pass any tests.

Sub aqua is a very popular club, you must accept that. You'll get plenty of training, sure we have the pool until Christmas (possibly after)

Over the coming weeks, interest will lower. You'll see less and less numbers going to the classes/pool sessions so don't worry about it

very reassuring post and thanks for it.

I do suffer from some anxiety when it comes to water and in particular being under it. ironic then you maight say that I choose diving as a hobby.

Well I love the water and being in it. and swimming is as near to the perfect exercise as u can get. and I am viewing the whole experience as a challenge. I not only have to get fit, but also to overcome fears.

so I am taking it fairly seriously. I was in the pool tonight in Carrick, managed the forward rolls fine.
    Diving down to retrieve the goggles is a different matter, I panic and fumble with the goggles and they end up the wrong way up on my head (if I even get them on my head). God knows how I am gonna get to a stage where I can dive down, get the mask on and clear it and also get the fins on.

I emailed the group today to see if anyone is interested in some extra pool training.

Listen, if u notice me next thursday night, come on over and shake hands. I am easy to spot as I am probably the tallest fella in the group.

Seriously don't worry, you're defo not the only one thinking the same. The diving and training officer (Bill and Arnaud) are legends and damn patient too. By the time Christmas comes you'll be confident, have passed your snorkel test and be using the tanks in the pool - great feeling!

in calss the othe rnight, Bill told us to download the manual from cft.ie
    any idea where link is?
    if u click on the downloads section, you are asked for a username and password

Not a clue but i'll ask Bill when I see him and email out the link to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

how do you find out about certain clubs and socs if you missed out on the clubs and socs day???

flynnser19 wrote:
    how do you find out about certain clubs and socs if you missed out on the clubs and socs day???

Go into the SU and ask for contact details about the particular club you're interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

ok cool thanks a mil

Advertisement