Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring cast iron fireplace

Options
  • 26-09-2007 7:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hey,

I've got a cast iron fireplace that's been painted over. Wanting to remove the paint and make it look like an original. I've used paint stripper/wire wool, but can't get rid of all the paint in and around some of the moldings. Any tips?

Also, is there anything I can put on it to protect it, and blacken it? I don't want to just put black paint on it.

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Think you can buy special paint for the cast iron fireplace that is heat resistant..I think aerosol is the way to go though. Just cover and mask up everything including yourself.

Have you tried caustic paste,you spread the caustic paste on over the difficult paint to remove and cover with clear plastic and leave over night. The reason you cover with clear plastic is so the moisture of the caustic does not evaporate...

Seen it on one of those shows, a fella used caustic paste on ornate cornice and got it completely back to its original state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Heat gun, a soft wire brush and patience should help shift the stubborn stuff.
    A graphite metal polish like zebrite is a good alternative to paint and really brings that antique look to cast iron. Dunno where you'd get it these days...not seen it in ages...

Advertisement