Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircon bb on campus

Options
  • 26-09-2007 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

would there be any problem with getting in eircom bb in on campus accommodation? would it be possible to do without anyone knowing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I would say probably not a chance....why on earth would you want to do this anyway? If you want broadband of your own move to off campus accommodation and order it. If it's an issue of not being able to use Bit Torrent etc over the campus network UL are well within their rights to restrict this and if you're living in campus accommodation you'll have to put up with it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I would say probably not a chance....why on earth would you want to do this anyway? If you want broadband of your own move to off campus accommodation and order it. If it's an issue of not being able to use Bit Torrent etc over the campus network UL are well within their rights to restrict this and if you're living in campus accommodation you'll have to put up with it.

QFT.

Why bother with €ircon when you've got a HEAnet backboned network into the college accomodation?
    Like Rory said, if it's because your torrents etc aren't up to your liking, move off campus and then get it in.

Why on earth would they let eircom come in when the Uni has their own contractor that deal with the network infrastructre?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

yep, torrents...thinking about it, eircom probably won't work because the phone line is kind of restricted i think...probably have to go for that ripwave broadband in a box...

If it's an issue of not being able to use Bit Torrent etc over the campus network UL are well within their rights to restrict this and if you're living in campus accommodation you'll have to put up with it.

I know they're within their rights, I never said they weren't...I am putting up with it, so i'm looking for a way to get around it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

JoseJones wrote:
    yep, torrents...thinking about it, eircom probably won't work because the phone line is kind of restricted i think
    It's probably not an eircom phone line going to the houses. I'd say they're all connected to a PBX somewhere.

And Ripwave is shyte. I doubt they'd let you attach some external aerial on the wall/roof for Digiweb or other wireless internets either.

• Advertisement

It's probably not an eircom phone line going to the houses. I'd say they're all connected to a PBX somewhere.

And Ripwave is shyte. I doubt they'd let you attach some external aerial on the wall/roof for Digiweb or other wireless internets either.

Those phones in the on campus accomodation are proper phones but as you said they are all connected to a PBX.....which makes getting DSL a bit more complicated.

Indeed the Buildings Department/Village management wouldn't be too pleased with a jolly work man coming along and sticking an aerial on the side of the building.

Cheers
    Rory

And Ripwave is shyte.

really? what's wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I have no first-hand experience, but judging by what people have said in the Broadband forum it's just useless. The only wireless broadband services that seem to work properly are the ones that use outdoor aerials, like Digiweb Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yea or you could use one of the vodafone or 3 or o2 2g broadband yolks, they arent great but a handy dandy alternitive to ul broadband.

would they be ok for downloading torrents? they don't block torrents or anything do they? would i get decent speeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

no they dont block torrents, sometimes you get good speeds somtimes you dont but there handy cause you have broadband anywhere with a 3g signal, so on the bus etc aswell.the stronger the signal the better the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Patricide wrote:
    no they dont block torrents, sometimes you get good speeds somtimes you dont but there handy cause you have broadband anywhere with a 3g signal, so on the bus etc aswell.the stronger the signal the better the speed.

They also have monitored, and fairly limited downloads. If you go over, you pay moronic amounts of money, so not really an option for torrents.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Patricide wrote:
    yea or you could use one of the vodafone or 3 or o2 2g broadband yolks, they arent great...

Theres a huge thread in broadband about how 3G broadband is a big pile of ****e, how oversubscribed it is, and how woefully inadequate the infrastructure in general is. And to top it off, a 10GB cap, which isn't gonna last long under torrents anyway, assuming they haven't throttled it out right.

Seconding or thirding what Rmacm and Kaimera said. If you want torrents move off campus.

right, so it seems getting bb here other than the ul network is probably not an option...so what would be the best way to get stuff from my pc back home. i could get someone at home to download the torrents for me but how could i get them here? rapidshare etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Theres a huge thread in broadband about how 3G broadband is a big pile of ****e, how oversubscribed it is, and how woefully inadequate the infrastructure in general is

If you mean [thread=2055115306]this[/thread] thread, is that not just 3 broadband. not all 3G?

Get someone to post you down dvds :)
    Or buy a rapidshare account.

JoseJones wrote:
    so what would be the best way to get stuff from my pc back home. i could get someone at home to download the torrents for me but how could i get them here? rapidshare etc?

Are you a Comp Sys student by any chance? Anyway there's a number of options. As you mentioned get a Rapid Share account which would work. You could also set up a linux server at home and use SSH to log in to it and start/stop torrents. Then you could use FTP to transfer them to your machine in college.

Cheers
    Rory

P.S. I'm drunk (or else very hungover I haven't decided which yet) and I think you should try to google a bit more.....I wanted to scream random abuse in this post but someone with slightly more sense than me said I shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Might not be the fastest choice but if you just want to get torrents cheaply, use either vodafone's or 3's hspda services
    3's is €19 a month for 3.6mb and all it is something like a usb stick you plug into your usb port

Edit: sorry should of read some earlier posts but still for €19 a month like and the ability to go almost anywere in the country with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

There is one option, and only one option..... Get around the proxy. I'm happily downloading torrents on campus!

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    There is one option, and only one option..... Get around the proxy. I'm happily downloading torrents on campus!

If you're living on campus this is indeed your only option and it is doable but I have to add it is against the HEAnet and IT aup (acceptable usage policy). So by doing this you risk losing network access permanently and there may be potential there for being hauled in front of the college disiplinary committee.

If you want freedom to do whatever you want with your net connection move off campus and get broadband and mess about to your hearts content.

Cheers
    Rory

Advertisement