Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just out of curiosity...

Options
  • 26-09-2007 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, that's all. I'm just wondering why Terry banned Demonique from the thread "Let's talk about scumbags" on After Hours. I know he posted five comments in a row but they didn't seem that offensive. Terry says the banning is for trolling. Just wondering if he could give more detail.
    It's really just out of curiosity. I honestly didn't think Demonique meant any harm... but I know I could be wrong.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Terry is a very strict moderator in a forum thats meant to be a laugh. They don't really mix. That is all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Shíts and giggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

IMO trolling is a bannable offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh me too (look at my sig). But Demonique didn't appear to be trolling - in my opinion anyway. I can usually spot 'em.

Dudess wrote:
    Oh me too (look at my sig). But Demonique didn't appear to be trolling - in my opinion anyway. I can usually spot 'em.

I don't think I've seen the thread but you say five posts in a row. I think s/he was looking for attention.

• Advertisement

Yeah it sounds it, but I think the poster was just trying to articulate how strongly they felt about the issue at hand (scumbags). However, it is true that they could have just put all comments into one post.

Dudess wrote:
    Yeah it sounds it, but I think the poster was just trying to articulate how strongly they felt about the issue at hand (scumbags). However, it is true that they could have just put all comments into one post.

Thats true, they should have put it all in the one post. If you start posting more posts on the matter in hand in succession, in my opinion thats trolling and a deserved ban.

Ah well its not if I haven't been banned fromafter hours before. Not from trolling though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigheads not sure of the nuts and bolts of Terrys reasoning but you can be pretty sure theres alcohol involved in this sorry tale.

Pighead, you're not supposed to post anywhere besides After Hours. Get out of here at once!

Pighead wrote:
    Pigheads not sure of the nuts and bolts of Terrys reasoning but you can be pretty sure theres alcohol involved in this sorry tale.

There is alcohol n my sorry tale!"!

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote:
    Pighead, you're not supposed to post anywhere besides After Hours. Get out of here at once!
    Of course you're right Dudess, but Pigheads worried about Terry and his addiction which seems to be spiralling out control. Can one of the Admins give him a call and make sure he's ok.

In future maybe it would be better if Mods agreed to abstaining from all drinks of the alcoholic nature before they take up their role as Community Watchdogs. Theres a few kids in AH that have been scared stiff when Terry gets drunk and disorderly.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dudess wrote:
    Honestly, that's all. I'm just wondering why Terry banned Demonique from the thread "Let's talk about scumbags" on After Hours. I know he posted five comments in a row but they didn't seem that offensive. Terry says the banning is for trolling. Just wondering if he could give more detail.
    It's really just out of curiosity. I honestly didn't think Demonique meant any harm... but I know I could be wrong.

they didn't seem that offensive? you must be shitting me. They were about as offensive as you can get. Clearly case of trolling for a reaction, good ban imo. Just because you appear to agree with what the idiot was saying doesn't make it any less offensive to normal people.

4 of the posts compiled below if anyone is interested
    Why would you need to do that, surely everyone can tell they're scumbags anyway by the way they dress

Yeah, I get the vibe of benefit b*tch (what the yanks called a welfare skank), basically breeds in order to get benefits from the government. I knew a girl who got pregnant purely to get a council house

Courtesy of benefit fraud in a lot of cases

Turn vigilante and go scumbag hunting or hire someone to do a hit on some scumbags

copacetic wrote:
    Just because you appear to agree with what the idiot was saying doesn't make it any less offensive to normal people.
    Post reported.

Copacetic, there were PLENTY of similar comments made by other people on that thread. And there was all that concentration camp/identity bracelet "banter" - tongue-in-cheek yes, but no better than what Demonique posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Dudess wrote:
    Copacetic, there were PLENTY of similar comments made by other people on that thread. And there was all that concentration camp/identity bracelet "banter" - tongue-in-cheek yes, but no better than what Demonique posted.

Demonique's posts didn't read in that tone though. That and the five 2 line posts in a row were deserving of a ban imho.

Dudess wrote:

what has that got to do with it?

you said these comments weren't offensive. they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

copacetic wrote:

Originally Posted by trolling scum

Post reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Trolling.

Straight seven day ban.

Simple stuff, lads and lassies.

Copa, relax d00d, 'tis only the internet :)

Slow coach wrote:
    Post reported.

:rolleyes: of course we all knew pighead was joking and you weren't. your rep precedes you, and not in a good way....

roundy, i thought you would have at least got the (obviously too subtle) humour???

edit - post above edited to make attempt at humour a bit clearer..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

copacetic wrote:
    :rolleyes: of course we all knew pighead was joking and you weren't. your rep precedes you, and not in a good way....

Eh? Explain?

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote:
    what has that got to do with it?

And my point was, if that's the case, many other posts on the thread were also offensive.

Dudess wrote:
    And my point was, if that's the case, many other posts on the thread were also offensive.

i think there was at least another couple of bannings on that thread? either way that is no reason for this individual to think they would get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

She also created another thread of similar nature, picking on poor Anto, priot to this (Which ended up in the Thunderdome)
    She posted repeatedly along the same lines to the point that it was seen as trolling. It was a judgement call. It was Terry's judgement. I can see where he's coming from.

She is either trolling, or an attention-whoring-scumbag-hating-wave-rider. Either way, you give her too much credit. She's no loss. Why do you see it as your battle, OP? Why didn't you PM Terry to discuss the matter?

Fair enough (and my mistake for referring to Demonique as a guy thus far).
    I wasn't fighting her battle, just nosey.
    Copacetic, read the thread again - there are PLENTY of other comments in a similar vein to hers. Other than posting five comments in a row (which was being silly) I couldn't see anything any more offensive than what other people had posted.
    Estebancambias was banned because he was actually being nasty. Nobody else was banned.
    But I wasn't aware of Demonique's other stuff, so if she had it coming, she had it coming.

Dudess wrote:
    Copacetic, read the thread again - there are PLENTY of other comments in a similar vein to hers.

read my posts again. I didn't say there wasn't, I said that that isn't an excuse for her posts. The old everyone else was doing it excuse never flies. This is some farce of a fight the powah thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Dudess wrote:

If you honestly just wanted to know you would have sent a PM to Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

6th wrote:
    Oh, well when you PM Terry one thing leads to another.... usually with sexy results...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Not always, and even when that happens he's a very tender lover. Actually on that note ..... Terry, call me?

copacetic wrote:
    This is some farce of a fight the powah thread tbh.
    Oh for god's sake, how many times do I have to say it: it ISN'T a fight-the-powah thread. And why do you feel the need to point that out anyway? Who gives a **** whether it's a good thread or not? Are you having a bad day or something? You already made a hostile comment to Slow coach.
    I didn't start this thread to DEFEND Demonique, my curiosity got the better of me. I didn't see any obvious reason to ban her, but I was bearing in mind that there may be other not-so-obvious reasons to ban her and I was feeling very nosey and bored (the nights are closing in earlier, it's getting cold - you know yourselves) so I decided to try and find out. Karoma informed me that, yes indeed, there were other reasons for the ban. End of story.
    That's the angle I was looking at - whether there were other offensive comments on the thread. And there were plenty that were just as bad as Demonique's.
    6th wrote:
    I see what you mean since a lot of people start threads in Feedback looking for a whinge and in the hope that others will join them in their whinge, but honestly that is not why I started the thread. I just decided to put it in Feedback - I don't know, it seemed logical and it was a spur-of-the-moment decision. I didn't think too much about how I'd address it. So, with respect, please don't make assumptions about me. You can't read my mind. And I did ask Terry on the thread itself and all I got as my reply was "trolling" so where's the guarantee he would have elaborated in a PM?
    Anyway, I'm kind of afraid of him... :(
    Oh, well when you PM Terry one thing leads to another.... usually with sexy results...
    That too.
    6th wrote:
    when that happens he's a very tender lover.
    Damn! Ok I hold my hands up. I should have PM'd him.
    6th wrote:
    Terry, call me?
    Wow! A similar request from AlmightyCushion a few nights ago. Me and The Gooner fighting over you - Terry, you are one desired man! ... And you're not even around to experience it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I think we can let the original topic die, unless Demonique wants to add something.

Now, more importantly...Terry scares you? Are you often attracted to scary men?

Advertisement