Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential landlord will 'let me know' about property?

Options
  • 26-09-2007 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I haven't rented in years so I am a bit rusty!

Basically I went to see an owner-occupied apartment there yesterday evening and all was great. The guy showing me around (owner) was very friendly and I was very keen on the property. I asked when it would be available and he didn't have a definate date as the renter had only recently given in notice and was waiting to move into a purchased property.

Anyway, there was a pause in the conversation after this and then the guy said he had someone else coming to see it over the weekend so 'will let me know' next week. He didn't seem to dislike me but I don't know whether I should have jumped in and said I'd take it whenever it was available? I really liked it and the location was perfect. I've never been somewhere before where the landlord would 'let me know' - it's always been the other way round.

Thought on this? Should I ring him and reiterate how much I like it or was that his way of saying PFO?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Wouldn't think it was pfo. I'd take it at face value that he has another person to consider. There's no gaurentee that the other person will like the place, or that he will like them, so you'll probably get the place. Lot better than the way it was years ago, when the had rounds of 'interviews' to get a house share!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its his way of saying that someone else has first refusal. Keep searching and give him a call at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MollyCoddle

So he wants the other person to take it?

Why'd he bother wasting my time so?! Gosh I hate renting lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I wouldn't take it personally. Why wouldn't he let a few people look at it and then decide who he thinks would be best? I don't think it's necessarily that someone does have first refusal, he may just want to let a few people look. He might call you yet and offer it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I wouldn't say it's a matter of first refusal, it's just a matter of him wanting to find the best tenant for him. He is perfectly entitled to do this in more or less whatever way he wants, and there is plenty of demand around this time of the year. I don't know anybody who lets property on a first-come-first-served basis. He may be a bit precious about it if it's his own apartment where he has lived, and that's understandable.

I would let him know when you ring that you have references, etc. lined up if he needs them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Thats quite normal in my experience and i wouldn't consider it a PFO at all.

I have been renting for the last few years. Anytime a room becomes available we put an ad on daft and usually get a load of replies. We arrange for a number of people to come around and see it, often on more than one night cos people don't always turn up.

I would always say something along the lines of "we'll be in touch in the next few days" to people. After we've seen everyone we make a decision.

If you've already invited people over its too difficult to cancel so we'd see everyone before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Take it at face value.
    Last time I advertised my place I had 7 viewings & every person wanted to take it.
    I had to tell each one I'd let them know.
    If for no other reason in that I felt it would be bad manners o arrange a viewing with someone & then ring them up again to tell them it was gone before giving them a chance.
    & yes, I wanted to make sure I had the best tenant I could possibly get.

If it's any consolation to you:- I eventually gave it to the very first person who viewed it, so it wasn't the case that I didn't want him, I just wanted to see whst else was on offer

Advertisement