Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice with Mortgage

Options
  • 26-09-2007 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I don't know if this is the right forum so mods feel free to move it if needed. My friend is in a bit of trouble. Herself and her boyfriend took a mortgage on a 3 bedroomed house in Swords a few months ago. Unfortunately it's now her ex-boyfriend. It was just the 2 of them and her 5 year old kid in the house.

He said she can have the house, as if it's a great asset. She does want to keep it but obviously she can't afford to pay the mortgage alone. If they sell it they'll make a big loss. To get his name off the mortgage it'll also cost about 10 grand and they probably wouldn't allow my friend have it alone anyway.

What are the options? Would it be possible to even get a tenant? I think the plan is to keep the house until the Metro line comes in and the price will hopefully rise significantly.

Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I would advise her to try to get a suitable tenant, mature student maybe to help with the load for a while, to give her some space to think.Its a horrible situation to be in. Would the ex leave his name on the mortgage for a year to help out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

She should go and talk with a solictor and with the local welfare officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

she should get advice from suitable sources money advice and budgeting service should be her first port of call, and she should also have a look at its your money

Advertisement