Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New web page. Need your honest feedback (NOT TOO HONEST!)

Options
  • 26-09-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi guys,

I've just finished a web page design for my web page design company and I'd love some feedback from all of yous gurus. Please be honest! But not tooHONEST as we did this really quick and will be improving over time.

Thanks, John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

its great ... its simple ... you don't even need google to find it :P

a link might be handy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's very minimalistic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 WPI20000

OKOK, I'm an idiot.

Here we go

http://webpageireland.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Horrid.

No seriously tho, i dont think its professional grade.

Is that you in the picture?

MM

• Advertisement

My honest opinion is ... you don't want to know what my honest opinion is ...

Take a look at a few of the web designers / developers sites on here

http://www.edenweb.ie/
    http://www.davidbehan.com/
    http://www.redflymarketing.com/

I notice a big difference between their sites and yours ...

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but if you're serious about offering web services to people you need to be able to do some things properly....

Checking your spelling would be a good start

It's not validating - so why are you using the w3c logo?

The text is squashed to the edge

The colours render the aforementioned text almost illegible

The layout isn't consistent from page to page

The web is always "under construction" - telling us isn't helpful

Did I mention spelling?

Not being bad, but OMG.

Thats simply Horrific. Really.

This is the kind of thing I hate about the industry in Ireland. Have you any idea how many clients I have come to me after being ripped off by the likes of you.

Bloody hell.

had assumed it validated at least ... but yeah ... please don't add w3 links when it doesn't ...

Are you tired of being quoted ridiculous for the design of a site
    ridiculous what ?

Another word of advice is don't put up yoursite until its ready ... thats not ready ... anyone who goes to your site ... probably won't come back ... at least if you've a simple coming soon ... while its not ideal it doesn't put people off ...

I've a coming soon sign on my front page for my new site at the moment ... its definitely not ideal .. but its better than a client coming to the page ... and seeing things broken

edit: corrected typo :)

I assume the OP meant ridiculous amounts...........

I wouldn't take a design from you for free OP.

is this your real day job?

• Advertisement

TheGooner wrote:
    I wouldn't take a design from you for free OP.

What harm would it to take a design for free?

I don't see anything special about those other designers posted above. All the technical stuff you guys are talking about is means nothing if you don't have the business knowlege that we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Is this a p!$$take? Im sorry for being blunt, but there's one thing encouraging people in design standards, but another for critiquing sites of this calibre that EXPECT to make money from design..

Back to Web Standards 101 for you my good man/woman.. Also, why did you put Google Analytics on it?

Edited for grammar.. d'oh!

WPI20000 wrote:

I don't see anything special about those other designers posted above. All the technical stuff you guys are talking about is means nothing if you don't have the business knowlege that we know.

OMG You haven't a clue.

I really believe your a troll.

Business knowledge, lol, I have been doing this professionally for over 6 years. I have 200 plus clients on my portfolio.

WPI20000 wrote:

Spelling and clear expression are hardly technical

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

WPI20000 wrote:
    OKOK, I'm an idiot.

Here we go

http://webpageireland.com/

Oh dear, I don't mean to put you down but the first thing you do is make sure your grammar and spelling is correct before allowing your site to go live.
    It gives off such an unprofessional air in this day and age to have these types of mistakes in a site.

Second, I don't think the design really cuts it, not in this day and age where everyone expects, not least for a design company a high gloss web 2.0 look. I would seriously consider a redesign.

I hope the words posted here don't discourage you, take the criticism and use it constructively.

WPI20000 wrote:

A poor image really really hurts your company / business

The main difference is ... professionalism

You have to start at somepoint, The site yous guys did is leagues behind the examples given in fairness. i wouldn take anything gooner says too seriously, as it will get you nowhere but would definitly focus on developing design skills ect and spelling/grammer wouldnt be a bad thing either. what price you put on a site such as your own one?

Cheers
    MM

i wouldn take anything gooner says too seriously, as it will get you nowhere

Why is that? He clearly has no skills and is charging for this????

Would you take your car in to a mechanic with no training? Nah didn't think so.

I'd also wonder how many people would want to do business with a "company" hiding behind an obfuscated whois ....

TheGooner

I just tought what you said was a little harsh, i didn say what i ment clear enough,

but "I wouldn't take a design from you for free OP" although its honest, its not constructive.

• Advertisement

TheGooner

I just tought what you said was a little harsh, i didn say what i ment clear enough,

but "I wouldn't take a design from you for free OP" although its honest, its not constructive.

I think it is constructive, it says your very very very bad at it, so don't get into it...leave it to the pros.

Think of me as the Simon Cowell of Web Design.

Mastermind are you in the industry yourself?

TheGooner wrote:

Classic :)

TheGooner wrote:

:D

OP ...
    Do you have examples of the sites you did for the people mentioned in your about page who are giving quotes on your business ?

what are your
    Other advanced digital servcies
    ?

TheGooner wrote:

Please post your site so we can see how good you are.

blacknight wrote:
    Classic :)

:D

Seriously though. I have often wanted to start a thread on here about the Web Cowboys of Ireland.

***Silent Scream***

I get folk ringing the office saying they have been quoted 10k for a five page brochure site!!! Not even offering a cms or anything!!

WPI20000 wrote:

I am not going to put my company/companies I have done work for URL's on boards.

It would be very unprofessional of me.

"Simon Cowell of Web Design" more like Louis Walsh :p

"Simon Cowell of Web Design" more like Louis Walsh :p

Twice now you have discredited me. Whats up?

WPI20000 wrote:

While not directed at me ... I'll add my new design ... static ... no real content present ... I like to think it looks pretty decent

http://www.forbairtmedia.ie/mockup/

• Advertisement

forbairt wrote:
    While not directed at me ... I'll add my new design ... static ... no real content present ... I like to think it looks pretty decent

http://www.forbairtmedia.ie/mockup/

Very nice. I like.

I'll put you through to the boot camp for that ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement