Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland

Options
  • 26-09-2007 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Anyone got their personal experience with this breed?

I'm thinking of finally getting a Dog, a year after two of my previous dogs were put to sleep due to cancer [A springer spaniel and a great dane, to which I terribly miss them so].

But I'm now emotionally ready to get another dog. :)

So, what's your views on the Newfoundland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

ver y big dogs, do you have the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Countryside - massive garden and acres of fields, and a large enclosure that expands around the orchid by the house [I did mention I had a great dane, a big breed themselves], I would imagine so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

BeerWolf wrote:
    Countryside - massive garden and acres of fields, and a large enclosure that expands around the orchid by the house [I did mention I had a great dane, a big breed themselves], I would imagine so :)

I had a Newfie for 14 years. BEST.DOG.EVER.

Love kids, love water, love Food (LOL), just so good natured.

Met a full grown one in London last Summer called Bruno, he did what he liked the owner just followed along holding his lead.

Great dogs, make sure you do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

great dogs - we've had two newfies in our time, if you've no giant breed experience, I'd recommend alots of reading up on them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

fair enough! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

As a life long Chihuahua owner I'm not much use :D
    I have heard though that Newfies need/like to swim on a regular basis... is this true newfie owners? I'd imagine it'd be a great bonding experience for owners and children alike if they had to take the dog for a regular dip. I heard this from people in UK who I met a few years ago, the whole family invested in wet suits and located local swimming spots, the whole lot! They had to change their lifestyle a lot having got newfies but said it was such a rewarding experience. My little critter could swim in the the bath and it'd do her!!

Well, I got a stream near by [more like a trickle]. Hardly something to swim in, unless it's been raining a fair amount. :P

And you'd be right that they do enjoy to swim, seeing as they got webbed feet! ;)

But curious on that question meself - anyone want to clarify? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

Don't have one myself but would love one!!!! Yeah as far as I know though I may be wrong they love to swim and were bred to rescue people from the water;) I have even heard of cases where they jump into rescue someone who doesn't actually need rescueing:rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

yes I believe they are used by the life boats in Newfoundland

BeerWolf wrote:
    Well, I got a stream near by [more like a trickle]. Hardly something to swim in, unless it's been raining a fair amount. :P

And you'd be right that they do enjoy to swim, seeing as they got webbed feet! ;)

But curious on that question meself - anyone want to clarify? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Before you think of buying a Newfoundland be sure to call Call Deborah 044-9374221, Mary051-895561 or Roisin on 057-8649000

They operate a Newfoundland help line and offer advice on care, puppy selection and where to buy a good dog. They have over 30 years experience between them.

Remember they drool all the time, they shed hair constantly and the size.They require good food, constant grooming lots of training and affection, oh, and they also want to live in your house with you, shut away from their people in a kennel they are most unhappy.

• Advertisement

Thank you for those numbers - I'll give them a call :D

And it's not a problem taking care of it :)

Advertisement