Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMNames Removal Tool

Options
  • 26-09-2007 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Any chance someone could write a one-click application to delete all the files that 'IMNames' installs?

Basically a script to do this:
    Follow these removal steps to manually remove this adware from your computer:

1. Reboot the computer to safe mode (click F8 when Windows start).
    2. Click Start > Run, type 'regedit' to open the Registry Editor.
    3. Navigate to the following registry key:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run"

In the right pane, delete the entry named "IMprocess" which points to "IM-svr.exe" ( if exists).
    4. Navigate to the following registry key:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinRAR SFX"

In the right pane, delete the entry with the value "IM Names".
    5. Navigate to and delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IMAdvertiser\AOL
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IMAdvertiser\MSN
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IMAdvertiser\Yahoo
    6. Exit Registry Editor.
    7. Reboot the computer.
    8. Open Windows Explorer, delete the folder "C:\Program Files\IM Names" and all the contents within it.

Because I swear to my holy left ankle I will murder the next person who opens a joint conversation with an IMNames bot inside it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Why don't you google the removal procedure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

I know the removal procedures. Its just the people stupid enough to install it aren't exactly the sort you want trawling through the registry?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Write a VBS script

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

I know the removal procedures. Its just the people stupid enough to install it aren't exactly the sort you want trawling through the registry?
    And if you're capable of bítching about it, why aren't you "the sort" who can write what you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What? :confused:

Install what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm a bit confused too. From what I can tell.
    • IMNames is adware.
    • Its been installed on your machine when you open up an IM conversation with somebody
    • You want an easy way to uninstall it when this happens

Is this correct? If so get ad-aware from lavasoft and it should keep your system clean.

Or you could write some kind of batch file using these command line tools. Although I haven't read through the entire article but it seems to be able to do what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

I want someone esle to make it not me :|

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wait, I thought I was on boards.ie, not writemeaprogramcosimalazyshit.ie..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Pointless.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement