Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise in Portobello

Options
  • 26-09-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I live in Portobello and I'm quite certain I'm on the Dolphin's Barn exchange. About two or three days ago I noticed my ADSL connection went horrible. I looked at my DSL stats in the router and I'm getting a downstream SNR of 9 (which is pretty bad) yet my attenuation is 41 (which is usual for me) so it seems to be a case of a noisy line.

I don't know what could have happened, maybe the weather? In any case, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this?

If I ring up Eircom would they actually be helpful or will they just deny everything? It's a business line by day so it's crucial they have normal performance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

exiztone wrote:
    I live in Portobello and I'm quite certain I'm on the Dolphin's Barn exchange. About two or three days ago I noticed my ADSL connection went horrible. I looked at my DSL stats in the router and I'm getting a downstream SNR of 9 (which is pretty bad) yet my attenuation is 41 (which is usual for me) so it seems to be a case of a noisy line.

I don't know what could have happened, maybe the weather? In any case, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this?

If I ring up Eircom would they actually be helpful or will they just deny everything? It's a business line by day so it's crucial they have normal performance.

SNR can certainly vary very quickly - My line is not great att is usually over 50 but my SNR has fallen as low as 7 and usually peaks at about 12 but has varied between those in the space of a few hours! What router are you using? Some are better than others at dealing with this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

It's a DLink DSL-G604T, I don't think I've experienced as bad a connection as this since I subscribed two years ago :(

Advertisement