Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

TV ( & other) remote control extenders

• 26-09-2007 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a good source of reliable remote control extenders? We have lots of nice AV in a cabinet but I have not located anywhere that sells good IR relay's,. Ideally I want a hard wired solution, as we have some extra cabling in place that could be used and there is some multi room requirments.
    Anyone any experience of www.xantech.com, or any seller in Ireland?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

fortyplus wrote:
    Does anyone know of a good source of reliable remote control extenders? We have lots of nice AV in a cabinet but I have not located anywhere that sells good IR relay's,. Ideally I want a hard wired solution, as we have some extra cabling in place that could be used and there is some multi room requirments.
    Anyone any experience of www.xantech.com, or any seller in Ireland?

Thanks

yep xantech will do it for you, and allow you to add additional control items to further enhance the system over their standard IR wiring protocol or go for the coaxial extender if its only local control. PM me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

Also make sure to get "plasma friendly" IR receivers if you intend on using it in a room that has an LCD or plasma anywhere near the AV kit.
    It is more expensive than the standard receiver but will produce much better results.
    Just for what it's worth I'd go with an RF solution any day of the week.
    A bit off topic but RF works flawlessly every time and no need for an external receiver and no need to point or even be in the same room!
    OP do you have any kind of learning remote control that maybe could be converted to RF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Would something like this from Maplins do the job ?

I would need to have a SKY HD box, Oppo DVD, and Onkyo Amp operated via this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

i bought from these guys - happy to say that although on the pricey side - that it works very well with my Pioneer Plasma etc

http://www.artcoustic.com/download/Octo%20IR%20Repeater.pdf

Yeah, a little pricey alright, I was hoping there was something a little cheaper !

• Advertisement

The maplin unit might well work but just remember the receiver is not "plasma friendly" and will be subject to ir flooding thereby causing your remotes to work intermittently or not at all!
    Are you using a plasma in the equation? Is there lots of sunlight in the room?
    Both of these will interfere with the operation of the maplins unit.

Yeah, plasma currently will be close by, so that could be an issue, sunlight to a lesser extent.

Other options ?

Only other option I know of is the dear (but right) way...
    Desktop plasma friendly receiver, 4-way IR repeater hub, 3 low profile IR micro flashers..
    All in about 340 euro.
    You could try get a similar system in from the states cheaper?
    May get hit with duty and excise and all that? But it is considerably cheaper over there looking on the web?

So given the expense for decent set-up, could the Harmony 895 remote be another option in a similiar price bracket?

Advertisement