Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - no detectable upload speed

Options
  • 26-09-2007 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I got the NTL max package today. It includes 6 meg broadband, tv and telephone. I had been on the Magnet equivalent which was great for broadband but rubbish for telly and phone. The NTL telly and phone is great but the broadband is terrible. There must be something wrong. With magnet I had 3.5 mbps download and the upload was pretty good. With NTL I'm getting 2.9 mbps down and no detectable upload . Pages are taking forever to load, reminding me of the bad old dial up days. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'll be on to NTL first thing in the morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mags16 wrote:
    I got the NTL max package today. It includes 6 meg broadband, tv and telephone. I had been on the Magnet equivalent which was great for broadband but rubbish for telly and phone. The NTL telly and phone is great but the broadband is terrible. There must be something wrong. With magnet I had 3.5 mbps download and the upload was pretty good. With NTL I'm getting 2.9 mbps down and no detectable upload . Pages are taking forever to load, reminding me of the bad old dial up days. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'll be on to NTL first thing in the morning.

Check speed here:

www.speedtest.net

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mags16 wrote:

Are you using wireless or ethernet to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Using speedtest.net, my download was 4778kb/s and upload was 113bb/s. It's a little better this morning than it was last night. But pages are still taking forever to load. Last night it was virtually unusable. I used my magnet broadband which I haven't cancelled yet. And I am using a netgear wireless router to connect. My computer tells me that the signal strength is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mags16 wrote:
    But pages are still taking forever to load. Last night it was virtually unusable. I used my magnet broadband which I haven't cancelled yet. And I am using a netgear wireless router to connect.
    I've had NTL Max for years and find it brilliant.

Speed tests are not the most reliable because they only do a quick check. I recommend downloading a large file from an Irish server. Your browser will display the averaged download speed. As this file will take a minute or so to download, you will see a reasonably accurate download speed.

WRT other pages taking ages to load, maybe their servers are slow.
    Think about if you are in a shop and the cashier (web site) is slow but you (browser) are fast, the cashier is going to determine your speed. If both of you are slow then you both contribute to the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I hear what you are saying, daymobrew, but last night I was switching back and forth from NTL to Magnet. And with Magnet, the same pages were as quick as a flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

It could be to do with the MTU setting on your pc.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793

Shows you how to optimise it.

Advertisement