Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Goods from USA

Options
  • 26-09-2007 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I have recently set up my own business. I am VAT reg'd. Just a quick question, might seem obvious to you lot but i'll ask anyway...

I want to range some products which can only be brought in from America. Initial buy will be $4500 (€3200).

From what i can understand on revenue.ie, i am still liable for VAT and import duty when the products enter Ireland. Is there anyway about claiming any of the VAT back in my returns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

To the best of my knowledge, if VAT can normally be claimed back for the good, it applies whether the product was acquired in the EU, or abroad with VAT paid at point of entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I don't think VAT comes into play, its import duty that you will be paying.

You need to talk to customs and excise and they should be able to confirm what rate based on the product being brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

From http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/pn1179.htm
    When goods are imported into, or received in, Ireland from a country outside the European Community (E.C.) they are liable to import charges (Customs Duty, Anti-Dumping, Countervailing and Excise Duties where applicable and VAT) at the point of importation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Zynks wrote:

Either way, talk to custom and excise and they will tell you how much you have to pay for a particular type of good.

Advertisement