Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security

Options
  • 26-09-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am looking to install a security system in my home, I have browsed the web and there nurmous systems on the market saying how great they are.
    I know you get what you pay for.
    Can anyone please advise.

regards

mervue

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Systems that use infrared are pretty good, provided you don't walk around at night and trip them yourself. Wireless systems may have several false alarms, due to interference (depends upon competing signals near your residence).

One simple solution that can be added to your mix of security is to install spot lights outside that are triggered by simple built-in motion detectors (the bad guys don't like to get lit up).

If you like dogs, a trained German Shepard will discourage most thieves. If a dog is not practical for you, then putting up a "Beware of Dog" sign might deter criminals not from your neighborhood (altho I like the one that says "Trespassers will be eaten!").

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Or "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

HKC system. Use contacts and inertia shock sensors. Stay away from PIR's and Wireless IMO. Is the house pre wireed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

have an exspensive wirefree system in at the moment and it never gave me much trouble, but ill be ripping it out soon and putting in a hkc.
    hkc and aritec are much the same and its just down to the installer and which one they prefere to fit. you can have id sensors with the hkc system which is handy if your house is prewired for astec. its kind of standard practise to fit 2 pir sensors but most domestic pre-wired houses dont ave those cables installed and would have to be run seperatly, infact your lucky if you have the cables at all the doors and windows in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Finneganjp wrote:
    HKC system. Use contacts and inertia shock sensors. Stay away from PIR's and Wireless IMO. Is the house pre wireed?

What kind of a comment is this. Do you care to back this up with some facts.
    HKC are good but they are not the only manufacturer out there. Others to look at are Aritech and Europlex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

yes same question i have what brand is best most of people said hkc but then here some one said get infrared,
    my house is wired already every single window and door but just dont want to buy some crapy alarm as i m far far away from my home when i m at work so one fals alarm :eek:
    so still wandering around to have some one to look at this but no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

ive installed hundreds of wirefree alarms and never had a problem, but if the house is pre-wired theres no reason not to fit a good wired system. i would recomend hkc because its the one i fit and sell but the other brands mentioned are just as good and we do fit and sell those too but its down to what the installer preferes. they will give you good points and bad points depending on what they have worked with. best to start by identifying the cables and bell them out to make sure there ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

Jnealon wrote:
    What kind of a comment is this. Do you care to back this up with some facts.
    HKC are good but they are not the only manufacturer out there. Others to look at are Aritech and Europlex

It is what it is. As you can read you will see I have stated that this is in my opinion. I have given my advice and it is quite straight forward. As some one who is self thought in Alarms I would of thought you would of understood that. I must be mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lxty

If you do go with a wired alarm- do not go with TEC who are based in Tallaght. We have had a nightmare dealing with these guys. They installed our alarm and when we needed support with it they are unavailable - they wont return any calls even from their so called emergency call out number.

Advertisement