Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista to xp

• 26-09-2007 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

ok long story short the dell website didnt give me the option of buying the laptop i wanted with windows xp:mad:

now im just hoping can any of you tell me is it possible to install xp onto a vista system, preferebly by just using a windows xp disc?, or is this going to require working drive partitions and bootdiscs in through a very unfriendly bios screen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

You should be able to do it with a just a clean install with an XP disc and then download the drivers off the Dell website (but check that they're actually there first!).

No need for partitions unless you want to keep Vista (or MediaDirect) as well as XP on the same computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I did the same with a Vostro 1000 that came with Vista Home or Basic or whatever they call it, that I bought recently. Strictly speaking it's against MS's EULA I believe for some bizarre reason, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

"You should be able to do it with a just a clean install with an XP disc"
    i had heard from a few other places i would have to partition it,
    i would prefer to have both OS on it anyway as i will have some uses for vista which microsoft will(may) inprove over time.

how would i go about partitioning it i dont have a floppy drive which i have heard of bring used on older computers for partitioning

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alun wrote:
    Strictly speaking it's against MS's EULA I believe for some bizarre reason,
    The reason is not bizzare, look at the price of the retail copy. The OEM is far cheaper than retail and so the OEM has restriction.

Best bet is to ring up DELL and ask them to change the OS retrospectively.

Business customers are OK 'cos the vista business license allows you to use either XP or Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

kurisu wrote:
    "You should be able to do it with a just a clean install with an XP disc"
    i had heard from a few other places i would have to partition it,
    i would prefer to have both OS on it anyway as i will have some uses for vista which microsoft will(may) inprove over time.

how would i go about partitioning it i dont have a floppy drive which i have heard of bring used on older computers for partitioning

If you want to keep Vista then you will need a separate partition for XP they cannot both live in the same partition.
    You will not need a floppy to partition you can do it from within vista

If you want to be really lazy the Dell Harddrive will come with a 10gig partition containing the dell reinstall if 10 gigs will do you for XP you could format that and then install xp to there

when you install XP the machine will not be able to boot into vista so you have to pop the vista install disk back in and then do a repair but then you will only be able to boot into XP so you need something like easy BCD when you get vista back working to make your machine be able to dual boot both operating systems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement