Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychology: Work Abroad?

• 26-09-2007 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently deciding what to study in university next year. I've been considering Psychology for a long time and I think it is what I will end up doing. But my question is, when I have my Psych. degree and follow up qualifications in Clinical Psych. or whichever other branch I go into, what are my options to work abroad? I would just to like to be in a position to use my Psych. qualifications if I travel around the world before eventually settling down. So basically I'm wondering, would an Psychology degree from an Irish university such as Trinity or UCD be recognised, accreditied and accepted in most Western countries(such as Australia, the States, etc.) so that I could actually work in those countries?

Thanks very much help for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well there are almost no psychology jobs you can do with just a degree.

Basically you need to do an undergrad degree that is recognised by the British psychological society. There is the PSI in Ireland but I don't think that is as widely recognised.

You need to do a BPS approved degree (trinity, ucd, DBS, open university etc are all approved) in order to get onto a Phd or DClinPsych. Once you have your doctorate you can work anywhere.

I don't think there are any issues of getting a licence to practice in a different country as you have to do if you are a medical doctor.

Advertisement