Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How/Where to apply for UK license?

Options
  • 27-09-2007 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

I want to swap my Irish license for UK. What to do....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Skyuser wrote:

Go live in the UK. Change Irish licence for UK licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

too many PPs huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Skyuser wrote:
    Go into your nearest post office and pick up a form, fill it in and send it off with the appropriate fee, the additional documentation they will request and your Irish licence. The DVLA is a bit slow at the moment so it might take a few weeks.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 stevo86

do you not have to have a uk address to apply for one?

stevo86 wrote:
    Yes. I was assuming the OP was in the UK. Why else woul dhe be looking for UK licence?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 stevo86

MrPudding wrote:
    Yes. I was assuming the OP was in the UK. Why else woul dhe be looking for UK licence?

MrP

to avoid penalty points maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Are we being trolled again ?
    lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

stevo86 wrote:
    I do have a uk address. I'm in Ireland now. Is there an online form or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Skyuser wrote:
    I do have a uk address. I'm in Ireland now. Is there an online form or something.

do you live in the UK ? or just have a relative there ......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jhegarty wrote:
    do you live in the UK ? or just have a relative there ......
    Exactly! We get a lot of this "I have an address in the UK" stuff on here. What matters is where you're actually resident at the time. If that's Ireland, then you can forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Don't worry I got the info. I just need to go to Post Office when I'm there. Geez you lot are like secret service. Can a person not get info about license without them having some master plan to avoid points.

Skyuser wrote:
    Don't worry I got the info. I just need to go to Post Office when I'm there. Geez you lot are like secret service. Can a person not get info about license without them having some master plan to avoid points.
    Not quite. You will have to provide evidence that you are resident, like bills or bank statements. You will also need to have your photographs certified by some "of standing" in the community that will have to sign a legal statement saying they have knwon you for 2 years. Apart from that, piece of p1ss.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Its expensive, £50 or soemthing. Am thinking of doing the same but dont actually know if i could be bothered just for the sake of avoiding penallty points, although the card looks dam cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by Skyuser
    without them having some master plan to avoid points.
    So what is your masterplan then? You can't expect to post this question without being asked why you want to do this. If you'd searched for this, there's quite a few threads in this forum about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anyone know when its proposed to change the system so that points become transferable across the UK and Ireland?

Also, does having a UK licence affect insurance in any way? I think i heard it did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

im living in the NI at the mo for last 4 months, and im still just using my Irish licence. Might change it in a while but i didnt know ya had to get someone to verify your photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

im going through this at the moment. Just got the D1 form here now. It doesnt mention a bill or anything.

It does ask for a signature from a local professional person so I think im ok.

Its £45.

Will let you know how I get on.

lifebook wrote:
    im going through this at the moment. Just got the D1 form here now. It doesnt mention a bill or anything.

It does ask for a signature from a local professional person so I think im ok.

Its £45.

Will let you know how I get on.
    You should expect them to ask for proof of residence. If I recall correctly the D1 form does mention you have to be resident to apply for a licence.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I am English with a UK licence that I have always used here. Since the pp's were brought in my insurance has actually gone up 10% because I don't have an Irish licence..you get a 10% discount for having a point free Irish licence. Insurance companies assume that if you carry a UK licence you are trying to skip having points assigned to you so you are treated as if you carry an Irish licence with at least 4 points applied hence the 10% increase..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

ya it says you have to be resident. It doesnt however say that you have to produce bills etc. It requires that somebody who knows you for 2 years in the UK signs to validate your application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Gatster wrote:
    So what is your masterplan then? You can't expect to post this question without being asked why you want to do this. If you'd searched for this, there's quite a few threads in this forum about it.
    Why? What business is it of yours why he's doing it? If I asked something like "how do I tax my car" nobody would reply saying "why would you want to do that?" Bit of a stupid example though, I know.

I had lived, that is actual lived not pretend lived, in NI for 25 years when the new rules came in. I still had to provide proof of address and residence.

MrP

Why? What business is it of yours why he's doing it? If I asked something like "how do I tax my car" nobody would reply saying "why would you want to do that?" Bit of a stupid example though, I know.
    No, very stupid example. This isn't something you have to do, so asking why you would want this hassle is pretty valid. From memory, all the other posts regarding this have been to avoid points or whatever.

As MrPudding said:
    I was assuming the OP was in the UK. Why else would he be looking for UK licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just tick the box for "no penalty points" when you apply for your Irish license. It's so easy, all of us are doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm about to change mine over to UK. You need either a bank statement or a utility bill as proof of address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Gatster wrote:
    No, very stupid example. This isn't something you have to do, so asking why you would want this hassle is pretty valid. From memory, all the other posts regarding this have been to avoid points or whatever.
    So maybe he is about to move over to the UK and wants to get the license in advance? I don't see why anybody here should care why he's doing it, you can either help him with his question or not. It's not the OP's responsibility to answer to somebody on boards.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wossack wrote:
    too many PPs huh?
    stevo86 wrote:
    to avoid penalty points maybe?
    franksm wrote:
    Are we being trolled again ?
    lol
    Skyuser wrote:
    Gatster wrote:
    So what is yourmasterplan then? You can't expect to post this question without being asked why you want to do this. If you'd searched for this, there's quite a few threads in this forum about it.
    Tony Danza wrote:
    The OP asked a simple question about obtaining a licence and that they appear to have some of the necessary requirements to obtain it.
    People here jumped to conclusions regarding the motives for it. Please don't.

Whilst we will generally not tolerate posts that encourage illegal activities such as this by reminding the poster or by removing the thread, if we have no other information regarding the OPs background we cannot jump to conclusions. People should remember that.

It's not the OP's responsibility to answer to somebody on boards
    Never said it was, but I've as much right to ask a question on a public internet forum. There are plenty of other examples of people 'jumping to conclusions' on these these threads, I'm not sure why this is receiving such focus.

Advertisement