Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hire

Options
  • 27-09-2007 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm looking to rent a car for Saturday to move house with. I have scoured the internet looking for somewhere that
    a) Will let me rent the car for less than 3 days and
    b) Let me rent the car as i'm only 21 [though have held my clean driving licence for 4 years] and
    c) Let me pay for said car with either cash, laser or a visa debit card.

Have any of you had any experience with this and can recommend a company?
    Short of this, I think I might just have to take a trip down to the airport and try all the car hire desks and see what they say.

Thanks in advance

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lilee wrote:
    I'm looking to rent a car for Saturday to move house with
    Would it not be more practical to rent a van?

(If you rent a car, the use of it for 'moving house' may not be permitted.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

As above, you may be better off renting a van for house moving - less trips and as long as you don't go for a massive one then it's not that different from driving a car.

Rental companies don't like renting without a credit card but some may do with a cash deposit, but generally not on Saturdays.

I'd advise you give Enterprise a call and see what they can do - maybe collect on Friday if possible. Enterprise Swords are on 840 4315.

Alternatively, see if you can get hold of Cornie on here, he has a big van and might do you a decent price for "man with a van" duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lilee

Would it not be more practical to rent a van?

(If you rent a car, the use of it for 'moving house' may not be permitted.)

I say move HOUSE...it's technically only moving 2 bedrooms into an apartment in Portmarnock!! Myself and my friend are currently renting rooms in a house - so only have a few suitcases to move over, really. Figured a couple of trips in the car would do it. And we'll need Tesco for a proper shop to get all the food in too...hense why we thought a car would be better and easier.

R.O.R wrote:
    As above, you may be better off renting a van for house moving - less trips and as long as you don't go for a massive one then it's not that different from driving a car.

Rental companies don't like renting without a credit card but some may do with a cash deposit, but generally not on Saturdays.

I'd advise you give Enterprise a call and see what they can do - maybe collect on Friday if possible. Enterprise Swords are on 840 4315.

Alternatively, see if you can get hold of Cornie on here, he has a big van and might do you a decent price for "man with a van" duties.

As I just said above - it's only really 2 bedrooms we're needing to relocate! And just 'stuff' not furnature or anything hefty. A few suitcases should do it I think.

Thankyou for the Enterprise number though - I'll give them a phone in my lunch break and see if they're any help - much apreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Might be handier just to use a large taxi?
    They can't charge for extra bags any more..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Taxi sounds like an idea. Ask for a 7 seater. Failing that there's plenty of "man & a van" places you could get for a half day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The problem is that a lot of the major rental companies wont accept you as you're under 25 :rolleyes:

I was working with a few greek guys (crazy drivers) one summer and brought their rental car to the hertz office to get added onto the insurance; they couldnt put me on as its against their insurance policy to insure under 25's (I was 23); so I had to spend the summer being driven around by two crazy greeks who are used to driving on the left, speak/read no english and come from a country with the highest road mortality rate in Europe. Nice work Hertz!!

Later that summer I went on holidays in france and had a a 4 door fiesta or something booked with I think it was rentacar... anyway got there and the guy said there had been a mistake and the best car his insurance would allow them to give me was a 2 door ford ka with pedals instead of an engine :( and most importantly no aircon. Rental companies wreck my head.

I hear though your best bet is to go to a small car rental company if you can find one as their policy is likely to be less strict and they may be more accomodating.

I know in work we used to get enterprise rental cars but I think that was only cause our companies fleet insurance covered us as opposed to the rental companies insurance.

Hi - thanks for all your suggestions. I finally managed to rent a car this morning. From Dan Dooley, no less!

Cheers :)

Advertisement