Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend dark/violent anime

Options
  • 27-09-2007 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

something along the lines of Ninja Scroll , i needs me fix!

Im not really into cutie anime unless its a comedy of some sorts like project A-ko.

Ive seen Princess Mononoke/ghost in the shell/cowboy bebop/ grave of the fire flies (what a depressing movie)

anything ye would recommend , try and write a lil summary on it plz thx :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Dead leaves is quite dark and very very mental.
    Plus it has a drill cock.
    http://www.dead-leaves.com/index2.html
    Very enbjoyable but Strangly wierd flick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Devil Man and Genocyber both very violent and dark :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Berserk, then read the Manga,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Another vote for the excellent Berserk. No summary needed, just watch the damn thing!

Claymore is definitely worth a watch, it's very violent throughout and gets pretty damn dark around episode 12-13:eek:
    I started watching it without reading anything about it first, and actually enjoyed it all the more for it... so I won't bother writing a summary for that either...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Elfin lied, freaky stuff, some very gory parts (Girl gets her arms and legs torn off), bit of nudity as well(watch out for that).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Crying Freeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

You should watch Black Lagoon! Quality!

Also +1 for Elfen Lied and Berserk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Since when is Bebop dark??

I suggest you try Hellsing and also Death Note, quality stuff.

Black Lagoon and Beserk are good shouts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

'nother recommendation for Elfen Lied and Berserk here.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

berserk but read the manga after the series or maybe lone wolf and cub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cyber City: Oedo 808

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Went on the recommendation of Elfen Lied, and I ****ing love it! I find myself humming the theme tune every now and again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Ninja Scroll is my fave manga, so I think you can trust me on these few...

Fist of the North star (the movie not the series)
    - ultra violent mad-max style manga where people are at war over who is the "real" fist of the north star. Just an excuse for violence really. And there are some really cool fights in it.There's a guy in it who can chop crowds of bad guys up by just waving his hands about the place.

Wicked City
    -made by the same guy who did ninja scroll. The barrier between hell and earth is breached.... or something. Pretty good. Includes some tentacle hentai rape, but not much, so it's ok.

Cyber City
    -Excellent classic 80s cyberpunk anime that the pokemon generation dont have a ****ing clue about. Set in the future, like 2074 or something!.... Convicts are given thousand year prison sentences. They can knock years off the sentence by doing dirty and high danger jobs for a secret-evil-government-corporation-guy. It's only 3 episodes, each one focusing on a different convict and his job. Deadly buzz.

Battle angel alita
    -Set in the future again.... a robot-smith finds the torso and head of a female cyborg in a junk yard. Fixes her all up and guess what, turns out shes programmed to be an assassin. Shenanigans. Great. The comic is better though.

Blackjack
    -Blackjack is a surgeon with the hands of god! He performs impossible operations for a massive fee. When olympic athletes all over start to show superhuman abilities, such as running at 60mph etc. Black Jack stumbles upon the secret which has caused this... Hmmmmmmm....

I heard that [/B]Perfect Dark is a good, dark n' scary manga, but I've never seen it so I cant comment on it.

G'luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

...check out darker than black ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

basilisk

ergo proxy - don't know if this would considered dark, definitely atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Ninja Scroll is my fave manga, so I think you can trust me on these few...

Fist of the North star (the movie not the series)
    - ultra violent mad-max style manga where people are at war over who is the "real" fist of the north star. Just an excuse for violence really. And there are some really cool fights in it.There's a guy in it who can chop crowds of bad guys up by just waving his hands about the place.
    The series is still pretty violent and awesome. No where near the movie but it still should be watched! And the manga...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

DingChavez wrote: »
    The series is still pretty violent and awesome.

The series is good, it's just that the animation can be a bit crap, AND the blood IS WHITE!!!! WTF!!!! It gets really annoying after the 2nd episode when you're just waiting for some good red bloody spatters. But the blood is always stupid milky white!

In the film, the blood is good old red every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Elfin lied, freaky stuff, some very gory parts (Girl gets her arms and legs torn off), bit of nudity as well(watch out for that).

Yeah, But I thought Elfin Lied was slightly ruined by the extremely childish dialogue\voice acting at times (both english and japanese soundtracks were the same). It's actually a problem that a lot of Anime suffers from. One minute you're watching something extremely dark and depressing, next minute, it might as well be Pokemon. And I don't mean the way some add a bit of comedy to lighten the mood slightly, it's more of an inconsistency with the script\acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I just finished watching elfen lied too. Really loved it, the intense violence got me interested then after a few episodes it was all about the characters. Great stuff. Watching a few other things at the moment but nothing grabs me like elfen lied or death note did. The search continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

sme wrote: »
    basilisk

ergo proxy - don't know if this would considered dark, definitely atmospheric.

Second the basilisk suggestion. Its a fairly short series with feck all in the way of story except that there are two ninja families locked in a feud to the death. Lots of fights ensue. In fact there are probably at least two battles per episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AndymanOnFire

Not really into Manga/Anime but watched Deathnote, really class. You should check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

i vote elfen lied and hellsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Gantz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

selpher wrote: »
    Gantz!

+1

Guyver: The Bioboosted Armour. Very violent show, I think the original was probably slightly more gruesome, but the remake is still extremely violent.

Two thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Monster (terribly underrated imho)
    Hellsing (OVA's are visually stunning)
    DeathNote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Not into Anime Manga scene at all but I think Hellsing is really cool. Alucard!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Just want to add Black Lagoon to the list, its not all grim but there's some pretty dark a disturbing back stories in there too if thats your thing (not to mention some great action scenes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Bleach isn't dark as such but it gets twisted at times. It's weird cos it goes from very cutsie to actually ye it is fairly violent. Dunno if this is classified as anime but Full Metal Alchemist is very twisted as well. Both brilliant series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

magick wrote: »
    something along the lines of Ninja Scroll , i needs me fix!

Im not really into cutie anime unless its a comedy of some sorts like project A-ko.

Ive seen Princess Mononoke/ghost in the shell/cowboy bebop/ grave of the fire flies (what a depressing movie)

anything ye would recommend , try and write a lil summary on it plz thx :D

From a psychological perspective, The End of Evangelion, is one of the darkest and disconcerting anime, or indeed films in general, I've ever seen. It has VERY heavy Psychological and Philosophical overtones however so be prepared for weirdness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kaiba
    From the art-style, you'd think it was some old-school, kiddy fare.

You could not be further from the truth.
    Kaiba deals with adult situations, questions of humanity & self, love (especially love!), death, despair, tragedy... Look, it's not for kids!

Advertisement