Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend dark/violent anime

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 myiarts0

Ahh, this is indeed weird..
    But I see its another great work of art too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Im currently watching through Kurozuka. Very good so far and very dark. Think Ninja Scroll/Basilisk with Death Note's animation style and vampires set in a post apocalyptic Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭DandareRastaban

Well.. dark?

Bloody dark:
    "Devil may cry"
    "Hellsing"
    "Hellsing Ultimate"
    Cyberpunk dark:
    "Bakuretsu Tenshi" (eng. "Burst Angel" - best mecha anime ever for me)
    Psychological and dark:
    "X"
    "Angel Sanctuary"
    Magical and dark:
    "Rental Magica" (very good but you need to watch whole series to understand whole plot since the timeline isn't ... normal ^^')

There are more I could recommend and bit less dark like "Venus versus Virus" or "XXXholic" and "XXXholic Kei"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Vampire hunter d,akira,highlander search for vengeance. Devil may cry isn't that dark,still,i like it. Also-i'm an anime noob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

New Getter Robo. There are some Ninja Scroll like elements in that, and it's dark and violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,492 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Akira has a nice edge of darkness... I should be ashamed of myself for the things I refuse to watch then eventually do. Akira is a true epic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fist of the north star is very violent,kenshiro punches people and there heads explode :O.

Overheal wrote: »
    Akira has a nice edge of darkness... I should be ashamed of myself for the things I refuse to watch then eventually do. Akira is a true epic.

I really liked it,but i felt it let me down somewhat,probably due to preconceptions to what was going to happen

rofl. Yeah, its like we were going to learn the meaning of life from a 1988 anime?

rofl. Yeah, its like we were going to learn the meaning of life from a 1988 anime?

Erm actually no,i meant the ending. But if you want to read that much into it...princess mononoke had messages about protecting nature for example. But i wouldn't read too much into akira. Just felt it was built up for me,and then felt it fell short of what i was expecting.

• Advertisement

The ending is what i meant. they built up like you were going to learn some ultimate truth, and then a very strange ending indeed. Apparently the manga did it differently.

The ending is what i meant. they built up like you were going to learn some ultimate truth, and then a very strange ending indeed. Apparently the manga did it differently.

I also had it built up by my friend who got me into anime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Very very differently. Im only on volume 4 but Its different from the start. Far better than the film but the films very good in its own right.

well I hear its very long, and id have to pay to get a copy, so i cant be bothered. PDF files just arent the same; you get about 10 pages in before you say feck it ill just BUY Harry Potter 6.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

golgo 13 is quite dark,also angel cop if you can get your hands on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Urosukidoji and Barefoot Gen are two I have noticed nobody has mentioned.

Also Paranoia Agent is dark, but more psychological.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Fullmetal Alchemist is excellent - the juxtaposition of the light hearted with the messed up stuff is great. Be forewarned though, it does has cutesy/adorable parts.

I'll throw Aachi And Ssipak out there too as it's batsh1t crazy and has some pretty dark parts. Opening five minutes here (quality isn't the best):

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Hellsing

Doomed Megalopolis

Heres a clip of devil man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Riki Oh. Its a manga which was later developed into a Hong Kong martial arts film....Ultra Violent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement