Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadworks Broadband

Options
  • 27-09-2007 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Anyone got it and if so how good is it? Or if u've heard any stories about it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 print4U

come on somebody else must have it!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Complete sets of chancers! Are you in Dublin 15 by any chance?
    There TV service is a joke, they just ripped a Sky feed and distributed it illegally to everyone in my estate.
    The broadband may be cheapish but its not speedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

ongarite wrote:
    The broadband may be cheapish but its not speedy.

29.99 for 2MB isn't cheap.

Yes I am in D15(clonsilla). I don't think I have any other option but to get the tv service off them. But the broadband I was just going to go with them cause it would be easier with 1 bill. Any other idea's for broadband then? or TV service even. Thanks

Seriously don't get the TV off them. Its absolutely crap. They're basically charging you money to broadcast FTA channels. They had all the Sky channels removed under legal threat and only have Irish stations, FTA BEEBs and news stations.
    I'm in Ongar and we only had option of Broadworks for 2 years and well now everyone has a Sky or FTA dish. Now that NTL/UPC are in the estate Broadworks are basically gone.

• Advertisement

NTL Don't do our estate they said, And we've been told we're not allowed get a dish outside!!!!

Ehh they all say that. Everyone has them in my estate and nobody has been forced to remove them. The manangement company rarely does anything.
    Are there any dishes up now?

No. It's an estate with apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

same in my estate too.. broadworks where the only ones providing tv.. all the new residents ordered it off them, two weeks later, everybody had sky dishes up . Not a work from management company, once all dishes were at the back and out of site..

From what I've heard Broadworks paid the developers of new developments in Dublin 15 for exclusive rights to transmit cable TV/internet. They probably paid the cost to install the cable.
    This has obviously run out now and for the last couple of months NTL have been pretty agressive in getting customers in these developments.

• Advertisement

I've called ntl again and they've said there's no chance of getting it at the min. And as I'm only renting a ground floor apartment i dont think i'll be allowed get Sky dish. Do any of u's have Broadband in this area?

I have DSL broadband with BT. Never had any issues with it.
    You could try one of the wireless providers like Digiweb.

Seriously you will be fine getting a dish. I'll post or PM you a pic later of my section of apartments and nearly all ( ground, 2nd story) apartments have dishes in plain view.

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm also renting in Ongar at the moment and using Broadworks for the TV cable. I wasn't interested in their 2MB broadband offer so I went with BT instead and am currently waiting for that to be activated. :)

As for how good Broadworks broadband is, I've heard nothing but bad things which is why I chose to steer clear of it!

Why are paying €22 a month for Broadworks TV service? You could use a TV top aerial for €20 thats just as good or get Sky for the same price and get a real service.

is BT Internet wireless? how much u pay for that a month? if u don't mind me asking.

NO, the BT broaband is DSL (home phone line) based so requires you to have the Eircom phone line activated. I'm on the 3MB package with line rental and calls for €65 a month.
    You would be advised to try a wireles provider like Digiweb, Ripwave Plus and skip the home phone (DSL) option.

Think `I'll go with Digiweb.

ongarite wrote:
    Why are paying €22 a month for Broadworks TV service? You could use a TV top aerial for €20 thats just as good or get Sky for the same price and get a real service.

It's a rental ground floor apartment and the estate agent told us the landlord does not want a dish/aerial put up unfortunately. :o

kyub wrote:
    It's a rental ground floor apartment and the estate agent told us the landlord does not want a dish/aerial put up unfortunately. :o

NTL is available in the whole of Ongar development now, was in the older section only for years but I'm near the Main Street and I can get it if I want. Far better than Broadworks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sojourner

ongarite wrote: »
    NTL is available in the whole of Ongar development now, was in the older section only for years but I'm near the Main Street and I can get it if I want. Far better than Broadworks..

I just moved into a place in Ongar, Manor Place to be more precise. Called NTL to ask them if I can be connected and they told me that they don't have the street in their system but that they'll look into it, should take a couple of days.

Ongarite, how/where did you come by the information that the whole Ongar development is covered by NTL? Any information I can get to "help" NTL identify my place and connect me would be appreciated. Considering that the coverage is fairly recent, I get the feeling that the operators don't know the full story and only go by what they can get from their system.

Ongarite is wrong there I'm afraid. NTL does not cover the whole Ongar development. (I wish it did!) There are still a few areas that Broadworks has the rights to, Manor Square being one of them but I'm not sure about Manor Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I'm unfortunate to live in a development where Broadworks is the only TV provider (thanks to some skillful developer backhanders and them still blocking NTL, but that is a different thread!) and all I can tell you that they are over priced, prone to going down and have no customer service. So, I would imagine their broadband service is just as rubbish... stay clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

Ronan wrote: »
    all I can tell you that they are over priced, prone to going down and have no customer service.

+1 on that - had Broadworks in last apartment. Much fun also with random aspect-ratio changes and cropping - along with occasional appearance of the Sky EPG menu instead of the channel (!)

I think the best part for me though was that they continued to debit my account long after I moved out and called several times to cancel. Had to send a registered letter and have heard nothing since, need to chase them for money I'm owed when I get the time/energy.

In summary - chancers. I wouldn't get BB off them even if it was amazing (which is *highly* unlikely...)

Advertisement