Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for Future Climate Change in Ireland

Options
  • 27-09-2007 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭

The Alchemist Cafe Dublin Presents: Planning for Future Climate Change in Ireland

Dr John Sweeney of NUI Maynooth will discuss what Ireland needs to do to cope with climate change.

Irrespective of any attempts at mitigation, Irish climate is set to change significantly over the next few decades. How can we anticipate where and by how much this is going to occur? This talk addresses the question of how global scale musings about climate change can be brought down to a regional and local level in manner in which policymakers, engineers and individuals can plan for in order to ensure that Ireland inc. positions itself to adapt to, and thus become a potential winner rather than loser from, the climate changes imminent.

Date: 17th of October 2007
    Time: 7:45pm
    Admission: Free-All Welcome!
    Complimentary Food will be provided
    In association with CPL and Discover Science & Engineering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Thanks for the heads up:), will probably head along to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Little bit of info on Dr. Sweeney if anyone's interested:

http://geography.nuim.ie/staff/jsweeney.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭fits

That pic of him is funny... he doesnt look as mad as that in RL.

Was an interesting talk. Basically, less rainfall in the East, and increased rainfall and intensity in the West. Temperatures rising most in the midlands, with most of the rise occurring in winter. After reading a bit more into climate I'm starting to think that it is most likely carbon emissions. He said that they were 90% sure that it was man-made Co2 emissions, I'm regretting now not asking what theories the other 10% comprised of though. Certainly was very interesting, and i got some contacts to pester about for work experience from him as well:p

trogdor wrote: »
    He said that they were 90% sure that it was man-made Co2 emissions, I'm regretting now not asking what theories the other 10% comprised of though.
    I'm not sure that's what he's saying. By stating that you are 90% sure of something, it does not necessarily mean that, conversely, you are 10% unsure. For example, if you present data with a 95% confidence interval, you are not stating indirectly that the remaining 5% varies dramatically from the rest of the population. It is impossible to be 100% certain of anything. Anyone who claims they are is not a scientist.

I couldn't make it myself, but yeah, I heard he was quite a good speaker.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's what he's saying. By stating that you are 90% sure of something, it does not necessarily mean that, conversely, you are 10% unsure. For example, if you present data with a 95% confidence interval, you are not stating indirectly that the remaining 5% varies dramatically from the rest of the population. It is impossible to be 100% certain of anything. Anyone who claims they are is not a scientist.

I couldn't make it myself, but yeah, I heard he was quite a good speaker.

Yeah i know, just thought it would be interesting to know what other theories he thought might just be possible if any, he dismissed solar activity and cosmic rays anyway.

EDIT: Not related to the talk, but does anyone have any comments on this?
    http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/may/HQ_04170_Earthshine.txt

trogdor wrote: »
    Not related to the talk, but does anyone have any comments on this?
    http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/may/HQ_04170_Earthshine.txt
    I don't think anyone has ever doubted that clouds have a powerful influence on the climate, but, as is highlighted here, cloud formations are extremely difficult to predict.

However, I'm not sure a reduction in cloud cover would necessarily result in an increase in the Earth's average temperature. While it would undoubtedly be warmer during daylight hours, it would surely be cooler at night, as is the case in desert landscapes. That is, assuming this effect can be quantified.

Advertisement