Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Flag Pointing

Options
  • 27-09-2007 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Howyis!

Just finished laying my Sandstone patio. I've got tendonitis in both wrists and there feckin killing me! Happily taking a break for a day or two while I let the thing settle and set.

Now, I have to think about pointing the flags.

Based on the occasional mortar stain I accidentally suffered while laying the flags, I am very very reluctant to point the joints with mortar as I can see no way that they will not end up stained quite badly. So, I was thinking of trying to get some bonding polymeric jointing sand.

Has anyone used this and would it be suitable for my flags with there 8-20mm gaps between flags???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Get geofix jointing compound.

Best job.

No stains.

http://www.geo-fix.co.uk/geofix.htm

Available in a number of different colours. Its a sand based product that hardens when taken out of the bag and in place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

Dont use a wet mix, use a dry mix. Wet in between the joints with a hose, leave the surface of the slab to dry off, mix up a good strong dry mix, brush in between joints and compact down. Use a pointing trowel to finish. Job oxo.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

I'm very reluctant to try the dry mix. I originally laid the flags on a dry mix bed and there was still enough moisture in the sand it seems to cause stains on the flags within a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

If this is the case it was not a dry mix, maybe semi dry. There should be no staining if you use a dry mix.

Thanks jp, I should probably have been more careful with my terminology!

I won;t therefore be able to get a true dry mix with my sand therefore. Would I need kiln dried sand or something instead then?

• Advertisement

snyper,

Have you used Geofix? Do you know where I can get it???

Thanks,

TMA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It is very easy to apply a dry mix and a wet mix is best applied as you lay the sandstone. Any accidental staining should be tackled before drying, simply brush with wet handbrush.

Also wet mix can be applied with trowel and any surplus wash carefully with stiff handbrush into joint. Wash down slabs as you go ie every 2 sq m until you develop confidence to do larger area.

Rompox is a good alternative to Geofix, but both are expensive and finish not as good as sand cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

snyper,

Have you used Geofix? Do you know where I can get it???

Thanks,

TMA

Yes, i have used geofix, and is sold at most hardware stores, or anywhere you can buy the patio slabs.

Beware of the price tho, because like in tile shops where they rape you for a bag of adhesive, (i can buy a 20 kg bag of tile adhesive for 12 euro ;) ) it may be similar with the geo fix, so check the price before you buy..if you do..

Advertisement