Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial Insurance

Options
  • 27-09-2007 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Ok Ladies & Gents.......I pick up my brand new shiny Mitsubishi Pajero Commercial tomorrow (Whoo Hoo :D ) so I need to get my insurance sorted out.

I am currently with Allianz (private motor policy) and their comm policy is terrible - the girl from Allianz told me that herself.

From what I have seen, Quinn Direct seem to offer the best comm insurance (protected no claims etc).

Anyone have any other suggestions before I call Quinn?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

FBD, I wouldn't go near quinn if they were the only company in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

I'm with FBD, when I changed from private to commerial, I lost the "driving other cars with owner consent" bit, but the van is open drive over 25 years, which my private policy wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Just called FBD and they won't cover me because I am financing the vehicle with a lease through my own bank and not the outright owner of the vehicle.

That's mad, I don't know many small business owners who have 40 grand lying around to pay for vehicles outright and I would have thought most new commercial vehicles are under some sort of financing (lease being the most common)

OK here's the latest on my insurance saga.....

I called FBD in Naas and explained what I was told about could not cover a lease vehicle etc...Very nice lady said that was not true, maybe new staff member answered my first call.

So quotes as follows.....

FBD = €1257 but no protected NCB or windscreen cover & named driver only (not open policy)

Quinn = €1597 and same as above not protected NCB etc...

Hibernian = €1322 this comes with windscreen cover & breakdown assist, no NCB protection.

Allianz (remember this is my existing ins provider who told me themselves not to use them coz they were poo) = €1098 and this comes with windscreen cover & step back NCB protection :confused::confused::confused: .

So after all that, Allianz it is.

One thing bothered me a bit though, not one company would offer any discount for having sat tracking on the vehicle :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Those quotes seem very high!!

I have a commercial pajero aswell and I'm with FBD. I have a private policy and its €1100, quinn were quoting me €970 but I went with FBD (I'm buying a new car next year and FBD beat quinns quote on the car that I'm hoping to buy by about €300!) My jeep isnt new, only a 97 but I'm only 21, so your quotes seem very high. I got quoted by quinn on a brand new landcruiser commercial for €1250 back when I was renewing my policy last summer.

Would you consider a private policy? It may be cheaper for you.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree, not exactly a bargain considering I am thirty (cough) ish years old, have been driving since 1990 and have full NCB.

But I can't get private ins as I will be using it for work (my own company) doing 50k miles a year between Ire & UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

If its an open back jeep (i.e no seats) it has to be insured commercially. If there are seats in the back, it'll be insured privately.
    Sure even if the ins is a bit dearer commercially, do you not save a packet taxing it??

Keith C wrote:
    If its an open back jeep (i.e no seats) it has to be insured commercially. If there are seats in the back, it'll be insured privately.
    Sure even if the ins is a bit dearer commercially, do you not save a packet taxing it??

Not true, FBD and Quinn insure commercial jeeps privately. i have a private policy in my name with FBD on my commercial (no seats in the back) Pajero. Its better because I get breakdown cover and would get the 3rd party drivae any car extension if I was over 25.

Yeah, tax is just over 250 euro.

I wouldn't risk insuring it as a private vehicle just in case I needed to make a claim.....Ins companies will do what they can to avoid paying out.

keefg wrote:
    Yeah, tax is just over 250 euro.

I wouldn't risk insuring it as a private vehicle just in case I needed to make a claim.....Ins companies will do what they can to avoid paying out.

Yeh you're right, especially on the amount of mileage that you are doing! I know that FBD are more expensive but they are fantastic to deal with. I had my jeep broken into aboout 2 years ago and they paid out on the door damage with no messsing or arguing and that was on a commercial policy not a private one.

When I went for my quote this year, I got FBD down from something like €1650 to €1100 by bargaining with them over the course of a few days - just something to think about.

Anyway congrats on the new pajero!

• Advertisement

Cheers Farva,

I wouldn't mind paying the extra to FBD if they at least offered some sort of NCB protection. But ho hum.

Advertisement