Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clarence Hotel

Options
  • 27-09-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the development behind the Clarence hotel........looks really modern.
    I was wondering if anyone knew what it was,it seems to be attached to the hotel,is it going to re-open as a hotel or as something new???

any suggestions folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

I'd say that it's part of the hotel which i presume is due to open some time soon. I'm only guessing but I'm basing it on the fact some of the Sligo Live concerts are planned for there for the end of October (http://sligolive.ie/programme.html). It might be the venue / large function room area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

alternative link, http://sligolive.ie/tickets.html

sorry, other one didn't work for me

was in the town yesterday, looks to be quite a morden deveopment going on beween the cinema and the original building, their obviously keeping the original frontage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

From the Weekender:

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

New music venue opens its doors for Sligo LIVE festival

SLIGO’S hottest new music venue the Clarence will open next week in time for Sligo LIVE.

The Clarence, located on Wine Street, will re-open as a live performance venue, music lounge, restaurant and hotel.

The former hotel has been closed for at least two years and work has been ongoing to transform the building to a new music venue for Sligo.

The work included a complete refurbishment along with the construction of an extension to the side of the building.

In its first week of opening, the venue will play host to five gigs over four days as part of the Sligo LIVE festival.

It will play host to one of the first gigs of this year's Sligo LIVE festival taking place over the October Bank Holiday weekend, when Beoga and Foy Vance play there on Thursday October 25.

This will be followed by performances from Duke Special, Dervish, Prison Love along with trad music sessions.

The venue is currently advertising for staff including a manager, kitchen and bar staff.

Tickets for gigs at the Clarence can be bought through Ticketmaster, or at the Model Arts and Niland Gallery or Third Wave Music.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

it looks nowhere near finished to be honest!! read that article in the paper today and was quite surprised..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

They have a website, but its so new that there's no real info on it and therefore I'm not going to bother posting a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

In the space of a few hours the outside of the Clarence has gone from BuildingSite to Respectable! Good job too, Sligo Live is in there tomorrow, Friday. Fair play to them. Nothing like a bit of pressure to get things moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cranmore

i think they re open 2nite. please feel free 2 correct me if im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was walking by it last night and they were still working at 8.30pm.. from what i saw, it looked really nice actually!

it used 2 b a nice wee spot a couple of years ago b4 they closed 4 renovations, it was a welcome change from nv and (2 a lesser extent) toffs.

Toff's to a lesser extent than Envy? Really?!

I'm mean i'm not a huge fan of either place but Envy is without doubt the worst excuse club i've ever been in!

Suppose it's all down to personal opinion though. Quite like Velvet though.

• Advertisement

<SNIP> i hav ever had the misfortune 2 enter, i actually like toffs and can ofen b found in there on a fridat or saturday nite. but it was always a nice change 2 head up to the clarence or the wee club above the ark bar once in a while.

Edit by muffler: Be careful with rude descriptions of premises

oh yeah, i've never been allowed in2 the velvet so cant really comment on it, apart from 2 say there always seems 2 b a very healthy amount of fine ladies coming in and out of the place.

Ahh right sorry. The way you phrased it sounded like you had a preference for Envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's much of a muchness. Whatever caché Toffs had has gone down the toilet since Velvet opened. <SNIP>Toffs has barred and vice versa. Toffs is busier than Envy at weekends, but when the students are around, Envy does better. Swings and roundabouts.

Edit by muffler: Can we be more careful with how a particular premises is described or in this case the patrons of that premises

Just to clarify, I'm not calling customers of either clubs <SNIP> :D Just a small percentage.

Edit by muffler: Last time before the red card is produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

guys play nice

you know the rules about defamation etc. this is privately owned service and the owners may be liable.

Back to the topic

Sorry. I meant it as a term of endearment;) Won't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubblebutt

thursdays and tuesdays in the clarence

hmmmmm.

such fun

xx:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I was there in the club tonight,music wasn't great but thats my own personal taste, it was hard techno but the place was fairly busy and the crowd were all in their 20's.I was one of the youngest there at 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I was there in the club tonight,music wasn't great but thats my own personal taste, it was hard techno but the place was fairly busy and the crowd were all in their 20's.I was one of the youngest there at 18

who is the DJ over there now?

IS Tommy F back. I noticed the last time I was home that he had sold out and moved to ENVY and was playing the likes of "come on Eilleen" - Tommy - think of yer cred man!!

Its was the first time I was in Xanadus/Equinox/ENVY for about 8 rights and did I feel old!

Just for the record I was never in it when it was called Xanabuffs!

• Advertisement

who is the DJ over there now?

IS Tommy F back. I noticed the last time I was home that he had sold out and moved to ENVY and was playing the likes of "come on Eilleen" - Tommy - think of yer cred man!!

Its was the first time I was in Xanadus/Equinox/ENVY for about 8 rights and did I feel old!

Just for the record I was never in it when it was called Xanabuffs!

Someone told me it was Roger B back in The Clarence again. Not sure if it was him though. Wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hopefully Budge will have an alternative night over there like the old days... Sure Shot !!

Budge is the only DJ who plays music I listen to at home. For someone who looks like Where's Wally, he's pretty cool :cool: Oh. Carl Conway plays some good stuff too. Don't know if he's playing anywhere these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm thinking of going over there for dinner today, they used to be fairly decent. Anyone eaten there yet?

il gatto wrote: »
    Carl Conway plays some good stuff too. Don't know if he's playing anywhere these days.

Last time I met him he was playing in the Garavogue/Left Bank.
    Ain't seen him in a while!

He was responsible for my Beastie Boys education!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Im a good friend of Budge leave out the waldo comments ! lol

Karl Conway is living in Dublin last i heard, he used to go down to play the Garavogue some weekends, not sure now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What is it with you people - you end up discussing dj's instead of the topic at hand. This is an ongoing problem with this forum in general and unless certain people change their posting habits sterner action will have to be taken.

I have lost count of the number of times that I've had to ask you to get back on topic on a few threads. I appreciate that its near impossible to stay on topic all of the time and there has been ample tolerance shown by both myself and nanook in this regard. And a couple of the users here have done their best to bring it back on topic but no sooner than that is done its away again.

But every single thread in the Sligo forum now seems to degenerate into a free for all. This is not Bebo and certainly not a chat room - its a discussion forum.

The next time I see threads going off topic Im going to delete, lock and ban. Dont say you haven't all been adequately warned.

Now please bring this back on topic and just have a wee think before you post.

In fairness the Clarence is a music Venue so that's why DJ's are being discussed here.

What we need are people to choose more broad titles for threads to avoid going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gillie wrote: »
    In fairness the Clarence is a music Venue so that's why DJ's are being discussed here.

What we need are people to choose more broad titles for threads to avoid going off topic.
    And here was me thinking it was a hotel.

Where do we start and end here - its a hotel ffs. What next - start naming and talking about the chamber maids or the bar man. I have no problem with people discussing the hotel (as per thread title) and all its functions including a night club but I am not going to allow discussion on individuals who work part time or whatever in the premises regardless of their function.

This thread is just an example of whats been happening right across the forum As I said above - please have a wee think before posting. I take your point about posting a broad thread title but really and truly that wouldnt be necessary if people would just think in advance.

I dont have a problem at all with threads going off topic temporarily because it happens everywhere but I expect the regulars here, in particular, to pull it back on topic at the first given opportunity. Im not trying to be dictatorial here and hopefully none of you will view my comments as such but we do have to keep some form of control.

I have to say the Sligo forum is flying so to speak and thats down mostly to you, the users. Keep up the good work but ditch those bad habits :)

• Advertisement

The hotel is a very small part of the business and has been for years. It's mainly a music venue/nightclub. Even so, it's always been called the Clarence Hotel. In fairness, seeing as most of the posters live in Sligo, the accomodation aspect isn't of much interest to them. I think it only had 10-12 rooms anyway.
    I agree alot of threads have wandered off lately, but I think this one has stayed with the whole nightclub/entertainment thing.

Advertisement