Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clarence Hotel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

il gatto wrote: »
    but I think this one has stayed with the whole nightclub/entertainment thing.
    It has and it hasn't. The thread started fine and was going along nicely and I had no problem at all with people discussing the night club aspect of the hotel but then the topic moved to discussing individual dj's which is where a line had to be drawn.If this was allowed to continue without intervention then God knows where it would have ended.

This is nothing personal and Im not getting at anyone in particular and bear in mind that I am only using this thread as an example of what has been happening recently right across the Sligo forum.

We wont fall out about it and I really appreciate the couple of fair and "rant free" comments that have been posted in response to my scolding (for want of a better word ;) ). Myself and nanook need feedback like that to help develop an acceptable level of moderation of threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

muffler wrote: »
    It has and it hasn't. The thread started fine and was going along nicely and I had no problem at all with people discussing the night club aspect of the hotel but then the topic moved to discussing individual dj's which is where a line had to be drawn.If this was allowed to continue without intervention then God knows where it would have ended.

This is nothing personal and Im not getting at anyone in particular and bear in mind that I am only using this thread as an example of what has been happening recently right across the Sligo forum.

We wont fall out about it and I really appreciate the couple of fair and "rant free" comments that have been posted in response to my scolding (for want of a better word ;) ). Myself and nanook need feedback like that to help develop an acceptable level of moderation of threads.

Jesus, this place is a bit wild - The Clarence Hotel is predominantly known as a nightclub and known as the only clubs in the town that doesnt play commercial/mainstream dance music - therefore the indentity of which particular DJ will be playing is very important because each DJ has his/her own style.

I dont think I will be posting on this section of the forum again in a hurry as its a bit draconian

next I'll be pulled up on me spellin

Lighten up mods!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I know im guilty sometimes and sorry but Sligobhoy summed it up perfectly, the clarence dj back a few years ago meant a totally different night - Sat and one of the midweek days was Dance music, Friday for a while was World music, Tues and Sunday was Alternative music so it was a discussion to see if some of our favourite nightclubbing expierences in sligo would be back in the upgraded "hotel".

With so much traffic in the sligo formum is there a sligo mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I agree with sligobhoy to an extent. The Clarence is mainly known as a music venue/nightclub, I spent a large part of late teens early twenties nights out there. With a nightclub most night every week no one in their right mind would have stayed there (hence it was occupied by clubbers who had travelled to Sligo for the club (in the most part).

For the last while, anyone talking about the Clarence re-opening in Sligo is interested in what the music venue will be like, not the bedrooms. The Clarence was always an alternative option for a night out and a lot of people are craving for something different to the usual..toffs, velvet etc.

Which DJ is playing is of Major interest to me and I was reading with interest to find out until muffler went off topic ;)

I know where muffler is coming from though, calling individuals "Waldo" or a sell out for playing mainstream in another club could be taken in the wrong way...and there's no need for it.

Since which DJ is playing is as relevant to me as the standard of the bedrooms, who is playing in the Clarence Nightclub as DJ?

Has anyone checked out a band there, what are the acoustics like? I hear there are 3 floors, is it the same music on each one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

What nights will the club be open ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

bloody hell what's going on here. as far as i can see muffler all that was happening was a few people talking about dj's. you seem to have pulled this even more off topic.

i like posting in this forum and really don't see what all the fuss is about. any thread on a forum is always going to veer off topic in my opinion.

anyway i think it's open from tuesday to sunday. might head down there tomorrow night to check it out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Especially one about a club re-opening after a few years closed, people are bound to reminisce about times they had there and the people that were there and what they are up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Rozbeef wrote: »
    as far as i can see muffler all that was happening was a few people talking about dj's.
    If you read my other posts you will see my answer to that and also that I was using this thread as an example of where people are going wrong.

any thread on a forum is always going to veer off topic in my opinion.
    Yes I agree and again you will see my thoughts on that.
    you seem to have pulled this even more off topic.
    I have? So you would rather I locked it rather than try to get people to go back on topic again. An input from any mod on any forum and in any thread is not deemed as pulling anything off topic.

Has anyone thought of starting a thread about night clubs and dj's. If they did its a problem solved.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    With so much traffic in the sligo formum is there a sligo mod?
    I have requested (and nominated) a mod for the Sligo forum but its up to the admins.
    Paddy20 will keep you all on your toes ;)

Has anyone thought of starting a thread about night clubs and dj's. If they did its a problem solved.

Don't want to appear like we're ganging up on you here Muffler, Mods are needed and appreciated but you are being just a bit :eek: strict on this one.

It's a hotel with a nightclub, restaurant, accommodation....

The DJ playing there will determine the type of music served up to customers.
    Are we allowed discuss the type of food served in the Restaurant?
    Are we allowed to discuss the standard of accomodation offered?

It's all part of the hotel's service!

No one else seems to think its off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

GG66 wrote: »
    I agree with sligobhoy to an extent. The Clarence is mainly known as a music venue/nightclub, I spent a large part of late teens early twenties nights out there. With a nightclub most night every week no one in their right mind would have stayed there (hence it was occupied by clubbers who had travelled to Sligo for the club (in the most part).

For the last while, anyone talking about the Clarence re-opening in Sligo is interested in what the music venue will be like, not the bedrooms. The Clarence was always an alternative option for a night out and a lot of people are craving for something different to the usual..toffs, velvet etc.

Which DJ is playing is of Major interest to me and I was reading with interest to find out until muffler went off topic ;)

I know where muffler is coming from though, calling individuals "Waldo" or a sell out for playing mainstream in another club could be taken in the wrong way...and there's no need for it.

Since which DJ is playing is as relevant to me as the standard of the bedrooms, who is playing in the Clarence Nightclub as DJ?

Has anyone checked out a band there, what are the acoustics like? I hear there are 3 floors, is it the same music on each one?

Budge is tall and wears glasses. I don't know how calling him "Waldo" could be taken wrong, unless Waldo is being charged with war crimes and I haven't heard. He's a very nice guy and I wasn't insulting him. He's a gentleman, with excellent taste (same as mine;)) in music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubblebutt

i was talking to mark connolly who used to do the alternative thursday night, and he said he's in talk to dj once a month as he's now living in dublin.

it'll be a band followed by a dj set.

one of the first bands lined up is dry county, i'm well impressed:D

Budge is tall and wears glasses. I don't know how calling him "Waldo" could be taken wrong, unless Waldo is being charged with war crimes and I haven't heard. He's a very nice guy and I wasn't insulting him. He's a gentleman, with excellent taste (same as mine) in music.

Fair enough, and I agree! I was just trying to figure out what the mods objection was as I didn't see the thread as off topic.

Band followed by decent DJ music set is what Sligo needs. I moved back to County Sligo 3 years ago and the only thing I miss about living in a City is access to decent live music. Hopefully the re-opened Clarence Hotel will sort it out.

Not familiar with Dry County, is this them? http://www.drycountyband.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

have the clarence got a website with listings of gigs etc?

have the clarence got a website with listings of gigs etc?

No gig listings but their site is here in a very incomplete state http://clarencesligo.ie/hotel.html

I've heard from another DJ in town that their club nights will be mainstream but they will have bands and I've also heard there will be alternative nights. So until the Sligo rumour mill turns into something definite I'm not holding my breath for regular live music. But it does sound promising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubblebutt

Not familiar with Dry County, is this them? http://www.drycountyband.com/

hee-hee! no :D

this is them (they are very nin like)

http://www.myspace.com/drycounty05

sorry for going off topic but it's about the clarence

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No gig listings but their site is here in a very incomplete state http://clarencesligo.ie/hotel.html

I've heard from another DJ in town that their club nights will be mainstream but they will have bands and I've also heard there will be alternative nights. So until the Sligo rumour mill turns into something definite I'm not holding my breath for regular live music. But it does sound promising

I'd love it if they got bands in. I used to love going to the Leitrim when they had bands playing (and only when they had bands playing) but they have stopped. Does anyone know what type of license they have. Is it a pub or nightclub?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hopefully heading there tonight, hope it lives upto the hype!

What a load of bollox, queued for about 30 mins, they let a load of teenagers in, then there must have been a bunch on 'VIPs' as about 15 other people skipped ahead of me right when I was at the door, they closed the doors then.
    I was hoping it would be the same bouncers working there (as they wouldn't have let any kids in) but looks like it's the guys from the Left Bank.

Anyone actually get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Yes, i had an excellent night there Saturday. Music was brilliant thanks to the excellent Roger B. House but not too hard! The crowd was a little young but you know what who cares as everyone was enjoying themselves. Will be going back regularly for sure. It's about time Sligo took itself out of the dark ages music wise and realised it is a city and that there should be music choices to suit all tastes and ages. All we need now is a good live band venue at the weekends.

H'actually this was the subject for much of our conversation Sat night, is the Clarance going to hold any live music nights or was that just for Sligo Live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I heard from a fairly reliable source that they do intend to get some decent live acts in. However for now I'd say they are just enjoying the full house honeymoon stage and watching the cash come flowing in. I heard toffs only had 500 saturday night compared to the normal 1,000. And they thought that The Velvet was their only threat. The teeny boppers are growing up!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well I was in it Saturday night and man that place is huge. I thought it would be a bit bigger than before but not this big. The place looks really good as well. There's a nice design to it.

The queue sucked but we got there at 12.30 so I was kinda expecting it to be big at that stage. Also it's just new so everyone is checking it out. Give it a few weeks and the queues won't be so bad.

The entrance fee was €12.50 which is a bit on the steep side I thought but shots and pints are only €4.50 each whereas envy and Toffs are €5 so it evens it self out.

I'm not in to dance, I'm more in to rock so the music wasn't really my thing but neither is what they play in envy or toffs so I can't really hold that against it. If they get some good rock bands in the place then that'll be good.

There was a good crowd there in the night and pretty much everyone I talked to had positive things to say about the place. There was a fairly young crowd there as well so it could eat into the crowd that normally go to envy or toffs so hopefully this'll cause them to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

.. so it could eat into the crowd that normally go to envy or toffs so hopefully this'll cause them to react.
    Hopefully they'll react by sterilising both places! ;)

Well I was in it Saturday night and man that place is huge.
    Ah you must be really young so!
    :D

Will have to check it out when the Honeymoon period is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Have to laugh at the person who said it was hard tecno!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

is it gone over 21 now i hear??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oh dear lord, maybe I am getting old and cranky but what a horrible place it is now. Was like being in a shopping center with awful music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

21's at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Oh dear lord, maybe I am getting old and cranky but what a horrible place it is now. Was like being in a shopping center with awful music.

Agree was only in the front bar lobby. The place has no character at all. There was a good crowd in there Saturday night but there was no atmosphere or buzz to the place.

• Advertisement

lubie76 wrote: »
    It's about time Sligo took itself out of the dark ages music wise and realised it is a city and that there should be music choices to suit all tastes and ages. All we need now is a good live band venue at the weekends.

Sure, but isn't Roger B still playing the same brand of handbag he always has? Hardly music choices to suit all tastes and ages. If you're not into it then there's no reason to go on a Saturday night. I've got an eclectic taste and can listen to everything from Jazz, Classical, Alternative, Pop, Techno and so on. But can't stand 10 mins of what he churns out..... unless things have changed.

Advertisement