Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clarence Hotel

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

GG66 wrote: »
    Sure, but isn't Roger B still playing the same brand of handbag he always has? Hardly music choices to suit all tastes and ages. If you're not into it then there's no reason to go on a Saturday night. I've got an eclectic taste and can listen to everything from Jazz, Classical, Alternative, Pop, Techno and so on. But can't stand 10 mins of what he churns out..... unless things have changed.

well I dont think a night which played 20 minutes of each type of music would go down too well!

At least Roger B is giving an alternative to the chart music nightclubs

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

well I dont think a night which played 20 minutes of each type of music would go down too well!

At least Roger B is giving an alternative to the chart music nightclubs

Either do I but it is possible to mix an eclectic set of music together, keep the dancefloor full without delving into chart hits.....

Horses for courses but I won't be the least tempted to go there on a Saturday night... wonder what's on Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Has anyone eaten in the restaurant part of Clarence Hotel - called the Lemongrass (?). If so, were you impressed? Is it worth a visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I imagine its like the other lemongrass franchises in Maynooth and Dublin-not bad asian style food, a little greasy, expensive (by ex-student standards).

Has anyone eaten in the restaurant part of Clarence Hotel - called the Lemongrass (?). If so, were you impressed? Is it worth a visit?

lemongrass is a chain with other Restaurants around the Country....
    I've only eaten in one other in Carrick on Shannon and it was pretty good. Wouldn't be up there with the best Asian Restaurants but definetly worth trying..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mimes101

hi everyone,
    my boyfriend and i are coming over to sligo from dublin 4 new year's eve and are looking for some suggestions on where to go. we're into rock nroll, soul and disco and don't want to go anywhere that's playing techno. would appreciate any help, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mimes101

would like any suggestions for good resturants aswell please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Try looking in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055169821

Want to stop this thread from going any more off topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Well actually there is a Lemongrass restaurant in the Clarence. Ive heard alot of good things about it, and I've been in other Lemongrass restaurants and they were very good.
    Has anyone been to this one yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

I might be in the Clarence on saturday for the first time. Yay
    A friend of mine is playing there, he plays at ****** every year so it should be good.
    It's funky type music I think!
    Is it still 21's on a sat?

• Advertisement

Yes I'm afraid it is still 21's at the weekends which totally sucks but I was there on a Saturday before they changed it to 21's and I wasn't a fan so I'm not to bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

He said he could put me on the guestlist so I would get in but I dunno now.
    I'm not hearing good reports from The Clarence.
    Everyone is saying it looks nice but it's just the music that they are getting wrong.
    It's probably because they are using some of the same old dj's they had years ago?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

:D:D

We decided to eat at the Lemongrass tonight and we were not disappointed.....we thought it was GORGEOUS! We went quite early because of our wee man, service was very friendly and quick. Children are very welcome - they give the kids an activity pack with a pencil/crayon and the children's menu has a colouring in picture too (very important if you have a two year old!);) The food was delicious and we thought the price was ok too.

We would recommend it!

Food in the Lemongrass restaurants usually is good,I have had some very good experiences in the one in Galway and beside Liffey Valley in the past.

I must head there soon, its good to hear some good reviews from it so far

He said he could put me on the guestlist so I would get in but I dunno now.
    I'm not hearing good reports from The Clarence.
    Everyone is saying it looks nice but it's just the music that they are getting wrong.
    It's probably because they are using some of the same old dj's they had years ago?!!

If your on the guest list, chances are they won't bother you for id unless you look under 18. Cant say for sure of course.

I was there last weekend for the first time since it reopened. It has potential as a music venue, there is lots of open space. Have to say though there is absolutely nothing unique about this place, the decor is so generic modern, bland.

Wouldn't care about that if the music was decent. I can listen to most types of electronic music except the tripe that was churned out last weekend. Okay, it's poppy and light and consistently so for the whole night, No variation. The dancefloor was only about half full at any time and IMO the DJ is simply not up to it...and the music is dated

The DJ had his gear set up on a long table on stage, with white tablecloth similar to an altar... so he's as visible as possible. laughable but he probably will get worshipped by starved pill poppers with lack of any other options in Sligo. He did get a cheer at the end to which he raised his arms triumphantly over the altar..LOL

I won't be back unless they change their music policy or get some live acts in. Current DJs are like a local buddies club..with more ego than talent or musical taste.

Pints were rubbish too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

lubie76 wrote: »
    It's about time Sligo took itself out of the dark ages music wise and realised it is a city....
    Sligo is not a city by any stretch of the imagination.

On topic: I was in the Clarence tonight. If playing dance music while showing David Attenborough's "The Life of Mammals" on a wall counts as entertainment, then please excuse me for saying "meh".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Sligo is not a city by any stretch of the imagination.

On topic: I was in the Clarence tonight. If playing dance music while showing David Attenborough's "The Life of Mammals" on a wall counts as entertainment, then please excuse me for saying "meh".

Surely it would be a good conversation opener with the ladies if a couple of monkeys were banging each other on the wall! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Surely it would be a good conversation opener with the ladies if a couple of monkeys were banging each other on the wall! :D
    And conversation closed with the scene of the young (seal) pup getting savaged by a whale. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

:D:D

Puts me in mind of the Carlsberg text that was doing the rounds a year or so back.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, was in on Saturday night. It's nice alright - good big stage which will be great for bands.

I didn't think the place was that big though. From reports here, i thought it'd be huge but think it was the fact that it didn't seem like a great distance from the door at the front bar to the dance-floor / stage (but the stage was quite big). Maybe i'm used to the "sprawling metropolis" of Velvet Rooms though! :D

Music was NOT to my taste! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

What kind of music are they playing there? Was it not supposed to be Left Bank-like, ie rock etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Was there New Years Eve , have to say I was impressed , I would definetly go again , I hope they can keep a good steady crowd going weekly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

we had our work xmas party there. very impressed aswell, can't remember much about the music as i had far too much to drink. might head back over this weekend again!

Advertisement